BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Olympics 2012

Final GB medal to Samantha Murray from Clitheroe!

All events now completed, just closing ceremony to see.

What on earth am I going to watch on TV from tomorrow? Is ITV even still broadcasting?

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Medal table -

1 - USA - 46 Gold - 29 Silver - 29 Bronze - 104 Total

2 - China - 38 Gold - 27 Silver - 22 Bronze - 87 Total

3 - Britain - 29 Gold - 17 Silver - 19 Bronze - 65 Total

4 - Russia - 24 Gold - 25 Silver - 33 Bronze - 82 Total

5 - South Korea - 13 Gold - 8 Silver - 7 Bronze - 28 Total

6 - Germany - 11 Gold - 19 Silver - 14 Bronze - 44 Total

7 - France - 11 Gold - 11 Silver - 12 Bronze - 34 Total

8 - Italy - 8 Gold - 9 Silver - 11 Bronze - 28 Total

9 - Hungary - 8 Gold - 4 Silver - 5 Bronze - 17 Total

10 - Australia - 7 Gold - 16 Silver - 12 Bronze - 35 Total

Men's Medal Table -

1 - USA - 17 Gold - 15 Silver - 13 Bronze - 45 Total

2 - Britain - 17 Gold - 9 Silver - 13 Bronze - 39 Total

3 - China - 17 Gold - 8 Silver - 11 Bronze - 36 Total

4 - Russia - 12 Gold - 9 Silver - 17 Bronze - 38 Total

5 - Germany - 8 Gold - 10 Silver - 10 Bronze - 28 Total

Women's Medal Table -

1 - USA - 29 Gold - 14 Silver - 15 Bronze - 58 Total

2 - China - 20 Gold - 18 Silver - 11 Bronze - 49 Total

3 - Russia 12 Gold - 16 Silver - 16 Bronze - 44 Total

4 - Britain - 10 Gold - 6 Silver- 6 Bronze - 22 Total

5 - South Korea - 5 Gold - 1 Silver - 1 Bronze - 7 Total

Stuck on a train getting back up north but some incident involving emergency services ahead of us has made for a two hour delay ( and counting) so am bored silly so im posting!

Been to a few events inc. swimming, tablebtennis, cycling, equestrian cross country, gymnastics but best of all was I lucky enough to be at the athletics last evening for the Mo and Usain show. Proper sporting theatre by two superstars backed up by a crowd that was immense - I have never witnessed noise like it when Mo was running and the last lap was incredible.

Must say the crowds have been exceptionally supportive of all athletes at all events of all nations, but wow, when Brit is on show it is quite overwhelming.

Spent a fortune on tickets and travel but glad I did, I'll never forget it. Britain should be a tad proud of itself right now.

Pretty disappointed with the show. To have Jessie J up there was ridiculous. Since when did she deserve to share the same stage as The Who?? Same goes for Ed Sheeran. Its not Glastonbury. The whole thing was a mess with very little cohesion. It lacked the charm of the opening and I got bored half way through. Sitting through Take That (respect to Gary Barlow btw), Jessie J, Ed Sheeran, Tinie Tempah, Taio Cruz, Spice Girls, One Direction and Emeli Sande wasn't what I had in mind for a Sunday evening.

Bits and pieces worked. I'm no fan of The Who but they finished it off well. The lighting and fireworks were also impressive but on the whole I certainly wouldn't have been overly happy if I had paid £100's to see that.

Pretty disappointed with the show. To have Jessie J up there was ridiculous. Since when did she deserve to share the same stage as The Who?? Same goes for Ed Sheeran. Its not Glastonbury. The whole thing was a mess with very little cohesion. It lacked the charm of the opening and I got bored half way through. Sitting through Take That (respect to Gary Barlow btw), Jessie J, Ed Sheeran, Tinie Tempah, Taio Cruz, Spice Girls, One Direction and Emeli Sande wasn't what I had in mind for a Sunday evening.

Bits and pieces worked. I'm no fan of The Who but they finished it off well. The lighting and fireworks were also impressive but on the whole I certainly wouldn't have been overly happy if I had paid £100's to see that.

You forgot that complete knob Russell Brand. wtf has he to do with the Olympic movement?

btw Apparently Bradley Orr tweeted how good it was to see Noddy Holder closing the Olympics!!! :rolleyes:

Closing ceremony was too long and not as awe-inspiring as the opening ceremony but still a good show. Well done to Kimbolton fireworks and the Rev Lancaster for a fantastic pyrotechnic display.

Would reiterate all that has been said on TV and in the newspapers about the organisation and running of the Olympics. Apart from the overpriced beer I couldn't fault anything when I visited the Olympic Park last Friday - the volunteer stewards showed that the public will respond if people are treated in a pleasant manner. Surly train ticket inspectors please note.

Britain's medal haul was welcome and lifted everyone' spirits and was another demonstration that government investment in first-class sporting facilities and people brings rewards. Perhaps a light has gone in George Osborne's head that investing (spending govt money) will also help to drag the country out of recession.

Brilliant Olympics, Loved every minute of it. Theres going to be a huge gap in my life now, but at least I can get some sleep. Staying up till 4am pretty much every night has almost killed me. Feel like I've done a marathon myself!

Looking at it from outside the UK, and being stuck with generally lousy local coverage, I have to say London put on a fabulous event. It was great to see everyone cheering everyone, and a once in four year opportunity to watch some of the most bizarre and interersting 'sports' imaginable. (I had great pleasure for some undefinable reason watching the rhythmic gymastics...and the Dutch girls hockey team... and my wife particualrly enjoyed the mens diving - funny that ??

Overall, I don't know how anyone could classify what constitutes a 'best olympics ever', but in any assessment what I can say is that London has to be right up there.

Would have been nice to see the Aussies do a bit better, but swings and roundabouts. We've punched above our weight for a while now anyway, so about time we had a reality check. And in any case, my dual citizenship enabled me to take equal pride in the magnificent achievement of Team GB. I think the only thing I though was a bit disappointing was some of the Opening & Closing ceremonies - particualrly the musical choices - but then again thats just a matter of personal taste I suppose. And I would have loved to have seen the Marathon finish in the stadium but I understand that logistics meant that couldn't happen - but I always loved the roar at the olympics when the runners come in and they stagger round a lap before finishing. Insignificant criticisms though.

Challenges for the future

-making sure the olympic venue doesn't become a massive white elephant - Sydney has done an OK job, and olympic park is well looked after. The main stadium hosts rugby league every week. However, other cities havent faired so well, and I understand Barcelona and Athens venues are already graffiti riddled and crumbling into derelict ruins (What a waste of money)

- dealing with the post-Olympics depression, and the 'back to the grind' - nuff said.

- backing up with a decent performance in Rio and future Olympics, and for Team GB and officials not to allow the huge build up of sporting talent, training and infrastructure to wither away, or to move off to big spending Chinese interests (lesson learnt there - hello Australia !)

Well, there it is, or is it?

Enjoy the Para's as much as you enjoyed the Olympics.

In fact, there's much more to be enjoyed by the para's as the participants have worked so much harder to be where they are.

Some of it is hard to watch, because of the disabilities, but it does not detract from their efforts.

These guys are the true Olympians. They are not paid huge amounts, if any , they do it for their health and wellbeing,

I admire these guys more than any of the "athletes" performing in the past two weeks.

MK, I think it was you that asked about the guilt factor I mentioned, well here it is. It's on you doorstep. Watch it, as I watched it in Sydney.

MK, I think it was you that asked about the guilt factor I mentioned, well here it is. It's on you doorstep. Watch it, as I watched it in Sydney.

Do you mean the paralympics being on Channel 4 and not attracting so much interest?

Archived