BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brsit Spam Emails

When you signed up to blackburn rovers for a season ticket there may of been a tick box asking if they can use/pass your details on for marketing purposes.

So if blackburn rovers still have a copy of this and you did tick it to say don't do this then you have a claim.

If not then sorry but you have given consent to this.

I have started more recently to tick these boxes but cannot remember if I did it on my season tickets :-( and yes i got the email

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not had one of these emails, however my concern would be that if WEC/BRSIT have such a file with emails address', what other personal data is contained within the file that WEC/BRSIT have?

Has there been any official response from WEC/WW/BRSIT to this?

Considering this story broke yesterday, you would have thought they would have responded by now.

Before meltdown starts, there is absolutely zero breach of data protection here.

Companies do this hourly, buying personal email addresses from large companies to try and sell them a product. Its marketing, perfectly legal and theres zero blame on BRIST for your unhappiness. If your so convinced that they have recieved this information from the club I suggest you take it up with them.

Do you react like this to all your spam email?

This is true, and there are two issues here - those who opted out (eg me) who have received the email, and those who agreed to receive marketing material. However, both could groups could legitimately complain.

On the assumption that a related group (maybe WEC, maybe not) who bought the data from the club then...

The fault could lie with the club for selling the data of people who have opted out for onward sale of marketing material.

The fault could lie with this group (maybe WEC, maybe not) for using information provided/sold to them in the wrong manner and not respected the opt out clauses and have provided the details to another 3rd party (BRIST). As agreement for those who have agreed to be sold on for marketing purposes were between the club and who they sell them to (maybe WEC, maybe not) there is absolutely no agreement for that party to then pass them to someone else. Therefore, whoever received the data are definitely in breach.

Obviously if the club sold data direct to BRIST then the question is who has used opt-out data wrongly, either the club or BRIST. However, you can't really see the club providing the info direct to BRIST can you? But those who opted in can't complain.

Spam emails are sent out by the billions by robots to every combination of email address they can think of in the hope someone clicks on them and demonstrates that inbox is active. They're not actively targeting anyone.

BRIST have acquired a dataset with people's personal details and have targeted them directly. Also from the club's point of view the emails of BRIST go against the club, so whoever has sent them out is going to be in a bit of trouble. On OneRovers there are three boxes about using your email for marketing purposes - the third one relates to 'passing your email onto third parties'. On my account this box was unticked meaning I do not consent for them to give my email address to someone else.

Now I'm quite relaxed about who has my email address - it is in enough places - but I wonder if they have my email what other information they have, and also what they're planning to do with such information.

A complete shambles.

Whether it violates data protection laws I do not know - been out of the country for too long.

What I do know is that whoever decided to dispatch the email is a clown. Really poor judgement.

BRIST have been critical of the club for not responding to matters swiftly, so I'll be eager to see how BRIST deal with this.

Sad state of affairs when the club is a mess and judging by this fiasco the biggest supporter movement is in a similar state.

Those trying to say this is a minor matter are very much mistaken. This is not good at all. I think the silence from BRIST top guys speaks volumes. You can't usually read a thread without one of them mentioning BRIST on numerous occasions yet today there is silence.

Data commissioner will be getting a call on Monday.

• Backroom

I've not had one of these emails, however my concern would be that if WEC/BRSIT have such a file with emails address', what other personal data is contained within the file that WEC/BRSIT have?

Has there been any official response from WEC/WW/BRSIT to this?

There was a tweet saying a message was sent out with the wrong header during unsubscription

I don't know what that means though

Heaven help us if BRIST ever take over the club. Anyone who has signed up probably has their details in the hands of the secret service of every tin pot nation on earth. Amateurs at the helm doesn't come into it and makes the Venkys look like the top dog at Harvard Business School.

I also suggest that the action group may have to re-consider their close relationship to BRSIT.

We have nothing to consider and do not have a close relationship, well no closer than anyone else who has publically backed this inititative. Last time I looked every supporters group had publically backed BRSIT as had every town figure head, our backing is equal to theirs. so why ask us to reconsider?

Our stance is the same stance its always been, we will give public backing to any takeover or initiative we deem to be credible, we are not exclusive to any one idea and are open to all.

Regarding people getting emails it does not personally bother me, I get spammed all day long from people I aint signed upto, be that by email or by telephone, if they are of no interest I just press the delete button. As a registered company though Im pretty sure BRSIT and any other company who do marketing/direct sales can purchase date bases freely, hence why we all get cold calls. I think this is being blown out of proportion

Why would Rovers 'sell' their ST Database to a group which essentially goes against them? This isn't generic marketing dataset which comes from places such as insurance companies, phone companies etc when you forget to tick the boxes. It is a very specific set of data, which would have to given away somehow (sold, leaked, whatever) for others to get hold of.

This isn't an issue about receiving spam.

It's about personal details and privacy being compromised. Not being blown out of proportion at all.

Are you saying BRIST purchased the database from WEC or Rovers? Very interesting if true.

I've reread the email and it was sent to my "Sunday name" rather than what I call myself.

So unless my mother provided my details, it's definitely from a source that also has my credit card details as that's the only time I have to use the full name.

I've reread the email and it was sent to my "Sunday name" rather than what I call myself.

So unless my mother provided my details, it's definitely from a source that also has my credit card details as that's the only time I have to use the full name.

Same here, and I also did not consent to my data being passed onto 3rd parties.

As GlenMullan has said its quite correct that people can purchase databases with our contact details on. I'm more than aware of that, I just choose never to give business to any company that tries to market their wares to me in that manner. I can normally track the source of many of these using my email addresses. In this case though, the data that BRSIT have appears to have come about by Rovers not taking their responsibility to protect their data seriously.

We have nothing to consider and do not have a close relationship, well no closer than anyone else who has publically backed this inititative. Last time I looked every supporters group had publically backed BRSIT as had every town figure head, our backing is equal to theirs. so why ask us to reconsider?

Our stance is the same stance its always been, we will give public backing to any takeover or initiative we deem to be credible, we are not exclusive to any one idea and are open to all.

Regarding people getting emails it does not personally bother me, I get spammed all day long from people I aint signed upto, be that by email or by telephone, if they are of no interest I just press the delete button. As a registered company though Im pretty sure BRSIT and any other company who do marketing/direct sales can purchase date bases freely, hence why we all get cold calls. I think this is being blown out of proportion

When was BRSIT registered as a company?

This is not being blown out proportion. It is natural for people to be concerned when their personal information is in the hands of people who should not have it.

Wayne wild, WEC or BRSIT have no right to this data.

Is it a coincidence that Wayne Wild, BRSIT, yourselves have had meetings with Shebby Singh, then folk who have NOT pledged to BRSIT received these emails?

This is a massive own goal by BRSIT.

A few weeks ago Wayne Wild asked me on Twitter to reveal my identity. This I did not do. He had also asked me to contact him. Again I did not do so. Asking for such information on a public site is also unprofessional.

From posts on this thread it appears that it is people who have NOT pledged to BRSIT who have received these emails. Is this an attempt at intimidation?

Questions have to be asked and answered by Rovers, Wayne Wild, BRSIT. I also suggest that the action group may have to re-consider their close relationship to BRSIT.

People who have pledged to BRSIT should now wonder how safe is the information they have given about themselves to BRSIT.

You're not a member of either of these groups are you? You've opposed them from the start interminably so why should they take your advice?

This is not being blown out proportion. It is natural for people to be concerned when their personal information is in the hands of people who should not have it.

Is it a coincidence that Wayne Wild, BRSIT, yourselves have had meetings with Shebby Singh, then folk who have NOT pledged to BRSIT received these emails?

There is no coincidence

how Wayne got his meeting, you will have to ask him.

Our meeting was arranged almost immediately after Shebby got the job, as dialogue between myself and him began that very evening he was appointed.

The emails, again you will have to ask BRSIT.

Not sure what our meeting as got to do with this? We are an official supporters group, of course we are going to meet Shebby Singh

According to companies house BRSIT Was set up as a company 26th April 2012

Wayne as a club sponsor is in his right to have meetings with the club, seeing he pays for the privilege through sponsorship. The Action group having a meeting on personal invitation is due to us actively seeking one and it being granted a report to this will follow on our website later on today

got one of these emails don't know where they got my address from but that goes for all the other spam i get daily but at least this one gives you the option to unsubscribe.wish all the others had this option i cant afford to help out many more African princes to get there money out of Africa.

You are receiving this email as you are a known supporter of Blackburn Rovers. If you do not wish to receive further emails from us, please unsuscribe using the links below

Don't know date but it was before open meeting in May

This is not being blown out proportion. It is natural for people to be concerned when their personal information is in the hands of people who should not have it. Wayne wild, WEC or BRSIT have no right to this data.

Presumably you have given permission for a company to 'sell' your personal details. If BRIST have bought some personal data then they have acted legally and they can use that data for any legal purpose. If you have not given permission for a company to sell your data and they have then it is the selling company who is acting illegally.

The biggest 'abusers' of personal data are Government Agencies, e.g. DVLA, HMRC etc. councils and companies like Google, Micrsoft, Twitter, Facebook etc. You would be surprised what people know about you.

According to companies house BRSIT Was set up as a company 26th April 2012

Wayne as a club sponsor is in his right to have meetings with the club, seeing he pays for the privilege through sponsorship. The Action group having a meeting on personal invitation is due to us actively seeking one and it being granted a report to this will follow on our website later on today

I do not recall them saying that they had become a company. Today is the first I have heard about it.

• Backroom

Pafell - I fully accept you have a view for your own reasons but it's got to the stage where I think you are being detrimental to the point you are arguing.

What I mean is it's become predictable that you will enter any discussion about BRSIT or brfc action group and take the opposite side no matter the discussion.

Sometimes it's best just to take a back seat is all

Kendal - I saw that on twitter and I must say mr wild came accross very bad by keep asking for someone's personal details, I don't see why it matters

Presumably you have given permission for a company to 'sell' your personal details. If BRIST have bought some personal data then they have acted legally and they can use that data for any legal purpose. If you have not given permission for a company to sell your data and they have then it is the selling company who is acting illegally.

There's two questions: who sold it and who bought it.

If Rovers sold it direct to BRSIT, then one (or both) of those parties has done something wrong in not respecting the opt outs. (but why would they?)

If Rovers sold it to someone else who then passed the info onto BRSIT, then Rovers may have done something wrong, BRSIT may have done something wrong, but the middleman definitely did do something wrong as even the opt-ins had no relationship with them and before they passed it to BRSIT they should have reconfirmed that they can pass it on to another party with the data subject.

Otherwise, if you wanted a data set that you knew people objected to you having, all you need do is employ a middleman to buy it for you and they sell it to you! In this case it just happens that the end user has at least some potential link with the data subject, but it needn't be.

I am also interested to know how much personal data has been provided. If it is from onerovers, have they provided my home address, my contact number or worse?

Archived