BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Malaga in Trouble?

I saw this at the weekend after wondering why Malaga seemed to be selling Rondon, Cazorla etc. I don't think there is much in the way of official statements yet but it does appear to be a very concerning example of an apparantly hugely wealthy owner getting bored of his toy very quickly and leaving it exposed to massive problems. I'm tempted to think that would be an even worse owner than Venky's have proven to be so far...

The question should really be. What is the way to go ?

I think we're taking a sensible approach currently, but with the wrong people in charge. Bring in youngsters and develop them, back it up with experienced players on frees and a couple of good, game-changing signings for decent fees. There's potential for a willing investor, keen on taking this on as a long-term development project.

There isn't a perfect formula obviously, but sensible investment is the way to go for me.

I think we're taking a sensible approach currently, but with the wrong people in charge. Bring in youngsters and develop them, back it up with experienced players on frees and a couple of good, game-changing signings for decent fees. There's potential for a willing investor, keen on taking this on as a long-term development project.

There isn't a perfect formula obviously, but sensible investment is the way to go for me.

Hmm, and here's me thinking having top professionals running the club, a manager who can win games of football in the dugout and paying decent wages to good players was the way forward.

Not in Mikers world Matty. The last twenty years have been a huge gamble landing us with massive debt and the threat of liquidation.............. hang on though, they've really been quite good haven't they.

sensible aproach ?? lol....

forget who we have as manager forget whoever owns Rovers but look at the wages scenario even a school kid will tell you if Rovers don't go back up to the prem within 2 years the S*** will really hit the fan...do the maths

I don't quite get how paying a kings ransom to 35+ year olds can be considered part of an investment. The untried Portuguese youngsters are a huge gamble and likely to be some time away from the first team. The big gamble from the owners is that we will go straight back up. In reality there is more chance of going down with Kean in charge. I'd wager anything that this was what Kean sold them when on his last visit to India.

I think most would be reasonibly happy if we had another manager.

Malaga have failed to pay wages to the players and the president was quoted as saying he didnt give a darmn about the creditors and they should just wait as long as he decided. Seemed like a real knob.

sensible aproach ?? lol....

forget who we have as manager forget whoever owns Rovers but look at the wages scenario even a school kid will tell you if Rovers don't go back up to the prem within 2 years the S*** will really hit the fan...do the maths

Wow no ######! I'm talking about running a club in that way at the top tier. We're not just talking about Rovers here...

A lot of Spanish clubs are I think.

Just did a bit of research.....in 2010, the President of the Spanish Players Union said that 85% of footballers in Spain's top 3 divisions either get paid late or not at all.......the country's leading expert in footballing finance said, "La Liga is dying"....the President of Osasuna said "I fear meltdown".....3 clubs in La Liga turned a profit in 2010, and all the La Liga teams put together are 3.5 billion euros in debt.

I know a lot of the problems are caused by Real Madrid and Barca being able to negotiate their own tv rights.....which a person at Liverpool suggested should be allowed in England last year....that sums up Liverpool and their unfounded arrogance.....to make sure Barca didn't get too far ahead of them he said.....when was the last time Liverpool were even in the Champions League.....anyway, in April 2010, the 4th placed team in La Liga was closer to the relegation zone than 1st in the table.......Barca and Madrid earn 120 million euros annually in tv money compared to 20 million for the 3rd highest placed team.

Its not just Spanish Clubs - its Spain in general. All the financial papers are talking about Spain becoming the next Greece - and sooner rather than later. If the nation goes bankrupt, my understanding is that it will affect Real Madrid and Barcelona heavily because they are State subsidised for wages (something to do with them promoting Spain overseas and therefore being an essential national asset). I could be wrong, and am happy to be corrected. I just heard this through a work collegaue who may not know what he's talking about but he's more of a football nut than me so it has a ring of truth.

Its not just Spanish Clubs - its Spain in general. All the financial papers are talking about Spain becoming the next Greece - and sooner rather than later. If the nation goes bankrupt, my understanding is that it will affect Real Madrid and Barcelona heavily because they are State subsidised for wages (something to do with them promoting Spain overseas and therefore being an essential national asset). I could be wrong, and am happy to be corrected. I just heard this through a work collegaue who may not know what he's talking about but he's more of a football nut than me so it has a ring of truth.

Real Madrid has always been like that because of their ties to Franco...the banks subsidise Madrid and Barca with the government involved as well. Real Madrid mainly, but because Barca are Catalan they get assistance that way through nationalists.

I know Spain has massive unemployment issues as well at the moment, something like between 20 and 25% and yea generally their economy is battered....most of their money in terms of incoming loans comes from Germany who are unhappy with it in relation to football as the Spanish clubs aren't paying their tax bill and yet knocking, or potentially knocking, German sides out of European competitions.

I've read that Spain's hosting of a World Cup in the 1980s caused financial problems due to the work they had to do on the stadiums.....this also happened in Portugal because of Euro 2004 and the government also subsidises their 3 biggest clubs, Porto, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon, and it's a major reason Portugal's economy is also very bad.

Valencia, Bilbao and Osasuna are the only clubs in a respectable enough financial situation apparently.

Yes I do understand that Malaga were bought as a sweetener to the local Government and not as part of Qatar's football strategy. I believe that UEFA have told Qatar to forget about having Champions League clubs in every major country and they have in effect been forced to decide between PSG and Malaga. It also explains in part why they have not pursued their ambition to buy in England.

As for Spanish clubs being helped by Government in Spain, Regional and Local Government finger prints are all over football in Spain and have been for decades.

I've read that Spain's hosting of a World Cup in the 1980s caused financial problems due to the work they had to do on the stadiums.....this also happened in Portugal because of Euro 2004 and the government also subsidises their 3 biggest clubs, Porto, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon, and it's a major reason Portugal's economy is also very bad.

I seriously doubt this. Got sources? I mean, portugal got 10 mill peoples. I know football economy is beyond ridiculous and by all means you could be right, but it just seems like too long of a stretch. Would like to read more about it tho.

Archived