BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Manager Part 2

Kamy100

499 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following managers would you accept

my first thought would be, why hire complete and utter unknowns, when it comes to managing. Especially with our recent history in mind. Kidd, Ince and Kean.

exactly.

If people are clued up and really do want an ex player, the most reasonable thing to do, would be something like this:

Get a real manager in and the hire the salgado´s, the tugay´s and whatever their names are, as coaches/assistant. Let them learn under a manager with pedigree, while they slowly get more responsibility and get to know about the in´s and out´s of managing.

Yep. I would love to see the likes of Salgado and Tugay standing on our touchline one day. But only when they're ready.

Some people are advocating bringing them in to what is a very tough time at our club, a time of instability. This would be far more likely to tarnish their legacy rather than improve it.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not always the case though. Despite strong results there was never a good atmosphere at Ewood during Allardyce's reign. He wasn't popular with a large section of supporters before he arrived and wasn't able to change that. Ewood was a relatively happy place in those days as well.

I think it would be foolish to ignore the galvanising effect that a manager can have. We're a club that is in a mess from top to bottom - all the way down to the terraces and messageboards. In fighting, bickering, disagreements....we need someone that can restore harmony to the club, as well as get results on the pitch.

I very rarely agree with basing managerial appointments on achievements made as a player, but we're a special case at the moment.

My firm personal favourite is still Solskjaer (no Rovers connection but very likeable and a big name), but I think I'd prefer a sentimental name Shearer/Sherwood/Tugay to a pragmatic appointment of Hill/Robinson/Freedman for the reasons mentioned above.

But results on the pitch should be the absolute main priority.

If we're choosing between three candidates with a track record of getting results, then sure use someone who would unite the fans as discriminator. But don't make it your main priority, which we basically would be doing if Shearer or Sherwood were appointed.

If we appointed a Sam type figure now that appointment would be a lot more popular with the fans than it was then anyway. Back then a lot of fans had unrealistic expectations and didn't realise what a fantastic achievement finishing consistently top ten with our sort of budget was, regardless of the type of football played. They came to expect it rather than appreciate it and some were a bit spoilt.

Now I think it's fair to say anyone who gets us promoted would unite the fans.

The owners have a distinct lack of knowledge of the game, how are they supposed to have a batch of managers ready to go when the position became available?

They also, allegedly, got taken to the cleaners by their advisors last time so I am hoping they have learnt from that and are taking a careful and considered approach to appointing a (new) manager.

Whilst this is not perfect, and better run clubs would have it all sown up by now, I think it is about the best we can hope for with these owners.

I hope my glass half full view is vindicated, it may well not be, but I will wait until I see offcial confirmation of any appointment rather than jumping down their throats because of rumours and spin I have heard.

That's just my view, if you want to believe differently that is your choice, and I believe it helps me keep my blood pressue down!

With new candidates coming forward it appears we are being advertised well so I can only presume these there is work being done on this. We've never had this amountof varied interest in us from what I can remember, and at the moment we are a division down. Admittedly this may be due to the fact that we have begun to spend more money, but I don't think they are simply sitting on their backsides. That's not to say they couldn't be acting faster, but when have they ever been perfect owners? It's certainly not doomsday.

We've never had this sort of public approach before. Everyone always knew we kept quiet until things were done and dusted under JW and the Trust. Different people, different methods, Rovers have always had good applicants since Jack ressurected us.

I don't mind that it's taking time, there is the international break. I would rather we took our time than rushed into anything, and drawing up a shortlist now means there is still enough time to appoint someone before the next game.

However I have much less faith in the outcome of the process.

But results on the pitch should be the absolute main priority.

If we're choosing between three candidates with a track record of getting results, then sure use someone who would unite the fans as discriminator. But don't make it your main priority, which we basically would be doing if Shearer or Sherwood were appointed.

If we appointed a Sam type figure now that appointment would be a lot more popular with the fans than it was then anyway. Back then a lot of fans had unrealistic expectations and didn't realise what a fantastic achievement finishing consistently top ten with our sort of budget was, regardless of the type of football played. They came to expect it rather than appreciate it and some were a bit spoilt.

Now I think it's fair to say anyone who gets us promoted would unite the fans.

I think results and club harmony are intrinsically linked though. If someone is appointed who can't immediately restore unity to the club then I don't think they will be able to get us promoted, regardless of their managerial ability - that's why I think, in this instance, the name matters.

It's going to take time to fix the issues we have on the pitch. Anyone unpopular from the start just will not be given the time because the atmosphere is so sour. Just look at Black, pretty much written off after one half.

A popular name will be given more time, will give us more stability and I think that will ultimately give us a better chance of promotion.

I think results and club harmony are intrinsically linked though. If someone is appointed who can't immediately restore unity to the club then I don't think they will be able to get us promoted, regardless of their managerial ability - that's why I think, in this instance, the name matters.

It's going to take time to fix the issues we have on the pitch. Anyone unpopular from the start just will not be given the time because the atmosphere is so sour. Just look at Black, pretty much written off after one half.

A popular name will be given more time, will give us more stability and I think that will ultimately give us a better chance of promotion.

I don't think anyone would be that unpopular apart from Eric Black and Judan Ali. If we got a Schuster or McCarthy in I think they'd have enough fan support to get results. Even a Simon Grayson type figure would do.

This is from the same school of thought that said Steve Kean failed because the fans weren't behind him, rather than because he was inexperienced, tactically naive and just didn't know how to manage a football club.

I'm sure you didn't think the same thing but if you take a step back it's a similar thought process. Steve Kean failed because he plain wasn't good enough, yes the fans weren't keen on him from the start but had he started winning games the fans would have got behind him. Maybe not after all the drink driving/lies/video etc but that was an exceptional situation.

If we appoint a Shearer and a Sherwood and they're clearly not good enough from the start the last thing we need is another Kean type situation where they're here for two years surely?

Promotion as soon as possible is so important for our club, once the parachute payments dry up our income stream will be next to nothing and we'd likely be down in this division for decades. If we get promoted then stability is crucial.

I don't think anyone would be that unpopular apart from Eric Black and Judan Ali. If we got a Schuster or McCarthy in I think they'd have enough fan support to get results. Even a Simon Grayson type figure would do.

This is from the same school of thought that said Steve Kean failed because the fans weren't behind him, rather than because he was inexperienced, tactically naive and just didn't know how to manage a football club.

I'm sure you didn't think the same thing but if you take a step back it's a similar thought process. Steve Kean failed because he plain wasn't good enough, yes the fans weren't keen on him from the start but had he started winning games the fans would have got behind him. Maybe not after all the drink driving/lies/video etc but that was an exceptional situation.

If we appoint a Shearer and a Sherwood and they're clearly not good enough from the start the last thing we need is another Kean type situation where they're here for two years surely?

Promotion as soon as possible is so important for our club, once the parachute payments dry up our income stream will be next to nothing and we'd likely be down in this division for decades. If we get promoted then stability is crucial.

Well said.

Hiring a club legend for the sake of it is not in the club's long-term interests. That 'feel good factor' won't last when we're rooted in the lower leagues.

If Judan Ali, Appears on this shortlist, We should start to worry.

After spending 8 million on Rhodes, I can't see Venky's wanting to part with too much more.

At the start of the season, nearly everyone said that we should walk this league,

Whoever we had as manager. So maybe Venky's are thinking the same.

Judan Ali's name is cropping up quite a bit, and i can see them going for this option,

with Shebby "grooming" him.

Have a feeling its Sherwood...dont ask me why just have a very strong feeling it Timbo!

I'm starting to think that too, I have a sneaky feeling he's the favoured appointment.

I doubt it'll happen though because Spurs are notoriously difficult to deal with. Levy obviously wants to hang on to him and Sherwood has already strongly suggested that he won't force the issue.

I'm starting to think that too, I have a sneaky feeling he's the favoured appointment.

I doubt it'll happen though because Spurs are notoriously difficult to deal with. Levy obviously wants to hang on to him and Sherwood has already strongly suggested that he won't force the issue.

Yeah with Shebby ties to Spurs, he must of been hearing for years how great Tim is, how highly thought of he is, young (which seems to be in fashion these days), British, ex player/legend...ticks all the boxes!

I reckon shebby thinks it makes sense from a football, marketing and financial point of view and therefore i think he is the man they want! Im becoming conviced this is his way of thinking and more so after his comments (if true) made to Glen and co...

Yeah with Shebby ties to Spurs, he must of been hearing for years how great Tim is, how highly thought of he is, young (which seems to be in fashion these days), British, ex player/legend...ticks all the boxes!

I reckon shebby thinks it makes sense from a football, marketing and financial point of view and therefore i think he is the man they want! Im becoming conviced this is his way of thinking and more so after his comments (if true) made to Glen and co...

He does seem to tick every box on that list Shebby has.

I can imagine it's an easy one for him to sell to Venky's as well. What better way to win the fans back than by appointing the captain of the title winning team?

I doubt it will be as we will have to give Tottenham compensation and as Levy is a massive money grabbing douche then he could put any price on Tim

Im aware of Levys way but maybe if Sherwood pushed for it a little and we through a bit of compo if could suit all parties...wanna be some pr!ck to refuse a coach the opportunity to manage BRFC even if we are a championship side now! but trust me i fully expect levy to make it as difficult as possible!

Sherwood has alyways been the clubs preferred choice , SS comments only endorse that , and if Sherwood came i wold be happy about it , i think there are better options than him , but there are also a lot worse , my concern is if Sherwood can't or wont come , its who is next on the list

Archived