BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

Only just calmed down enough to comment on this now.  It's not gone unnoticed how we tend to get one judge calling it way off when it's a huge fight and close. Long suspected it's a premeditated tactic just to try and make sure the result tips the way the outside influences want it to.

Common on US cards in the past and certain Euro ones you could guarantee it. Sadly crept in over here way too often in recent times just to be passed off as incompetence.

Bent ?  Paid off ? 

No i don't think so just more likely heavily influenced or peer pressure, although Saturday quite simply bottle jobs playing to home crowd.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tomphil said:

Only just calmed down enough to comment on this now.  It's not gone unnoticed how we tend to get one judge calling it way off when it's a huge fight and close. Long suspected it's a premeditated tactic just to try and make sure the result tips the way the outside influences want it to.

Common on US cards in the past and certain Euro ones you could guarantee it. Sadly crept in over here way too often in recent times just to be passed off as incompetence.

Bent ?  Paid off ? 

No i don't think so just more likely heavily influenced or peer pressure, although Saturday quite simply bottle jobs playing to home crowd.

Don't Know if you saw this Phil, they've apparently re-named the Rose & Crown

image.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Josh Warrington at 10pm on DAZN, fighting the excellent Kiko Martinez.

Josh has the pulling power of Ricky Hatton, could be a trip to Vegas for his followers if he can get things back on track, but lose tonight and he's struggling.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty convinced now that Conner Benn can be the real deal and i think Hearn is holding him back too much. Time to start mixing it with the likes of Broner now.

Campbell Hatton they are going to have to work extremely hard to avoid him being beaten by someone not very good.

Meanwhile Spence v Crawford is surely a step closer although i suspect it's destined to become the AJ v Fury of its division. They love the publicity off the calling out more than staging the actual fight. I actually fancy Errol to nick that one he's a class operator.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tomphil said:

Pretty convinced now that Conner Benn can be the real deal and i think Hearn is holding him back too much. Time to start mixing it with the likes of Broner now.

Campbell Hatton they are going to have to work extremely hard to avoid him being beaten by someone not very good.

Meanwhile Spence v Crawford is surely a step closer although i suspect it's destined to become the AJ v Fury of its division. They love the publicity off the calling out more than staging the actual fight. I actually fancy Errol to nick that one he's a class operator.

I'm not sure about this potential fight with Khan, or Brook for that matter, but as Conor said on Saturday, money talks and it would sell out.

As you say they should be looking at the likes of Broner or Garcia next, but Eddie likes to milk his cash cows, so I won't be holding my breath. 

Nathan Heaney came through a tough test against an Argentinian at the same time as Benn was fighting, he looks like bambi on ice at times, a decent domestic fighter with plenty of Stoke lads following him, which makes him a bit more box office than most at his level. 

• Like 1

Yes i suspect that's why Hearn has been holding him back a bit from a real step up. There is two relatively easy domestic nights there imo, for a lot of money and exposure.

It's not a world title path though and that's what fast Eddie claims he has him on but i think he needs to be pushing him now. Still young but he's an explosive fighter not a boxer, a bit like his dad. Those types tend to have shorter but more spectacular peak years and that is probably right now.

Fury and White just weighed in for tomorrow nights clash at Wembley, which will be fought in front of 94,000 fans.

Instead of the usual antics, it almost turned into a rave, with both White and Fury dancing to the music.

Looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

Fury didn't quite know what to do when Whyte was having non of his antics.

Never seen Whyte looking so relaxed i hope he keeps it together on the night and makes a fight of it. I love the guy even though he isn't on Fury's level he reminds of guys i grew up watching like Dokes, Tate etc.

Fury is coming in lighter so he'll be looking to move around a lot and tire him out i suspect. I'd love it to be different but i see Fury getting to him midway and getting the stoppage. Dillian is dangerous but hes been iced badly by uppercuts from AJ and Povetkin and more telling perhaps he struggled with the long awkward Fury dimension Helanous.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2022 at 21:58, tomphil said:

Fury didn't quite know what to do when Whyte was having non of his antics.

Never seen Whyte looking so relaxed i hope he keeps it together on the night and makes a fight of it. I love the guy even though he isn't on Fury's level he reminds of guys i grew up watching like Dokes, Tate etc.

Fury is coming in lighter so he'll be looking to move around a lot and tire him out i suspect. I'd love it to be different but i see Fury getting to him midway and getting the stoppage. Dillian is dangerous but hes been iced badly by uppercuts from AJ and Povetkin and more telling perhaps he struggled with the long awkward Fury dimension Helanous.

Good call mate

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Jesus Christ AJ! You've been Heavyweight Champion of the World multiple times, and you're threatening to break the jaws of some posh Loughborough students for shouting out a window at you. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Totally different to the Patrick Viera situation this. These guys weren't up in his face, by the story he's actively gone and sought them out.

Have a bit of restraint ffs. Obviously triggered by the whole ducking Tyson Fury trope. 

Fair play to him i say but the guy needs to be fighting this non Usyk fight is getting pathetic now.  On top of Fury pretending to retire again so he can arse around all summer and wait to see what happens.

Every respect in the world for these guys getting in the ring and their talents but this is the laziest biggest cherry picking HW era ever. Absolute farce to compare these lot to some of the great champions of the past.

• 1 month later...

Derek Chisora beat Pulev last night by split decision live on DAZN.

It hasn't always been the case with Chisora, I remember a poor fight in Monaco not that long back, but more recently he's been box office, gives 110% and I'd pay to watch him every time he fights. Last night was a close fight, both men went at it for 12 rounds, lacking quality but take nothing away from these 2 warriors.

Made up for Derek, I hope he retires on a win, but so often they don't, that extra payday will be hard to turn down. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gav said:

@tomphil Did you catch the boxing last night?

Ben Whitaker looked a bit special on debut after his Olympics silver medal and the main event was a right tear up between Billam-Smith vs Chamberlain. 

Whitaker definitely has some talent although another big mismatch imo, he's sure a marmite character though and i'm not keen on the dicking about. 

Some v poor match ups on that card but the main event lived up to its billing and got the right result.

Meanwhile on the other side Josh Kelly continues to flatter to deceive.

• 3 weeks later...