BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

It was absolutely barking mad, Joshua fought much better than the first fight and was going to leave with lots of credit. It was set to be a Usyk/Ukraine celebration then Joshua had one of his hissy fits. Eddie Hearn could see the pounds flying down the road when he grabbed the mic!!

Edited by cesus

• Moderation Lead

He was way better than the first fight, but he didn’t deserve to win. 
Only he will know why he had the chance to land a lot more punches on Usyk, but elected not to.

He couldn't hit him is the reason why K-Hod, the movement of Usyk was again sublime, his choice of punches, timing, just brilliant for such a big man, won easily and I think he could well beat Fury too. 

Joshua throwing the belts around last night was embarrassing, he tried to pull it back with his deranged speech but lost loads of respect at the end for me.

Time to pack it in AJ.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
3 minutes ago, Gav said:

He couldn't hit him is the reason why K-Hod, the movement of Usyk was again sublime, his choice of punches, timing, just brilliant for such a big man, won easily and I think he could well beat Fury too. 

Joshua throwing the belts around last night was embarrassing, he tried to pull it back with his deranged speech but lost loads of respect at the end for me.

Time to pack it in AJ.

It just felt to me like he hung back and didn’t even try and hit him at times.

Credit to Usyk though, very much a worthy winner.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

It just felt to me like he hung back and didn’t even try and hit him at times.

Credit to Usyk though, very much a worthy winner.

Yes I know what you mean, he always looked ready to unload without actually making a sustained effort until the final few rounds, but yes, Usyk was just better.

How did one judge give the fight to Joshua? Bonkers.....

Edited by Gav

Usyk was absolutely class and deserved to win. Joshua was much better than the first fight and hit him with some really good body punches but just not enough of them. Its a hell of a task for any heavywieght to hit Usyk win he faints and moves that much. The way Usyk came back in the 10th round after Joshua rattled him in the 9th was immense.

Will Joshua be content being a second or third tier boxer, one who up and comers fight en route to the top and/or an occasional mandatory challenger? A sort of Whyte, Parker, Chisora kind of career. I doubt he'll be in the position to be the top dog after 2 losses to Usyk, and have the massive fights he had a while ago. 

A fight against Wilder may be his last big money spinner though.

11 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Will Joshua be content being a second or third tier boxer, one who up and comers fight en route to the top and/or an occasional mandatory challenger? A sort of Whyte, Parker, Chisora kind of career. I doubt he'll be in the position to be the top dog after 2 losses to Usyk, and have the massive fights he had a while ago. 

A fight against Wilder may be his last big money spinner though.

If Joshua decides to keep on fighting he needs to busier than he has been throughout his career so far. Training for 8 months of the year and fighting just once isn't enough for Joshua, he's got no ring craft that you gain through the amateurs, he needs more fights. He reminded me at times on Saturday of a poor mans Frank Bruno, a very limited fighter out of his depth.

He's made more money than he'll ever be able to spend, maybe he should just pack it in, but boxers rarely do, I think we'll see him back and I think the public will continue to pay to see him, but avoid Wilder at all costs, he'll end his career in my opinion.

On 22/08/2022 at 07:45, Gav said:

If Joshua decides to keep on fighting he needs to busier than he has been throughout his career so far. Training for 8 months of the year and fighting just once isn't enough for Joshua, he's got no ring craft that you gain through the amateurs, he needs more fights. He reminded me at times on Saturday of a poor mans Frank Bruno, a very limited fighter out of his depth.

He's made more money than he'll ever be able to spend, maybe he should just pack it in, but boxers rarely do, I think we'll see him back and I think the public will continue to pay to see him, but avoid Wilder at all costs, he'll end his career in my opinion.

He isn't a poor mans Bruno he's better than Frank but like Tyson was for him Usyk was always all wrong for someone like AJ.

Massive credit to him for taking the instant rematch and having a good go the reason as said he didn't let his hands go was lessons learned from the first fight.  Most disappointing thing for me was he didn't grapple and tie him up like expected until he was knackered himself at the end.

His corner where ridiculous yet again telling him he was winning all the time.

Hissy fit at the end was part down to them but he was dehydrated and clearly a bit disorientated but still no excuse it was pathetic.

End of the day though he took the fight when it was ordered and could easily have dropped that belt.  24 rounds with far and away the best mover and technician in the division.   Came up short but didn't get himself stopped and in the 2nd fight always looked like he night just uncork something.

He is no Bruno.

@tomphil Is Fury beating Usyk? I think so, but looking forward to seeing the fight if it happens.

You make a good point above about Joshua not grappling, not leaning on Usyk for 10 rounds, I don't think Fury will make that mistake. 

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

@tomphil Is Fury beating Usyk? I think so, but looking forward to seeing the fight if it happens.

You make a good point above about Joshua not grappling, not leaning on Usyk for 10 rounds, I don't think Fury will make that mistake. 

Yes i think so Fury will do everything textbook AJ doesn't he'll grab, hold and lean from 1st min till last.

There'll be an eye watering 4 or 5 stone weight advantage on the night plus the 6 inches height - enough to keep the chin out the way.  Then the gargantuan reach Fury has an absolutely monumental set of advantages before we come to the actual boxing.

As much as i'd sell my arm to see someone shut Furys mouth i can't see Usyk doing it as good as he is, it will take a boxing masterclass to do it.

• Like 1

Wants 500 million for the fight or he won't do it. It's all this singing and dancing that I don't like from Fury. Said he will fight AJ for free but as its Usyk he wants 500 million. Surely going out as the undisputed champion is enough as long as the purse is decent. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 05/10/2022 at 10:06, Gav said:

@tomphil What we thinking pal?

I remember watching the fathers fight at a packed Cellar Bar in Blackburn, what an atmosphere.

unnamed (1).jpg

I'd actually tipped Benn to win on points i thought he'd might have outworked Eubank.

By the sounds of it that might not have been far off no wonder he was so confident against the odds.  Cheating little twerp ruined it for everyone and there's no tainted meat excuse with this one.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

@tomphil 

Did you catch the Yarde v Beterbiev fight last night? 

What a scrap, Beterbiev throws lumps of concrete with every shot, rarely missing and all credit to Yarde, I never gave him much hope but he bit down on that gum shield and dug in, brave lad. 

Brilliant stuff at times, Bivol next for Beterbiev I'd imagine. 

• Like 1

@GavTremendous fight pal there was a couple of rounds in there that were Hagler v Hearns stuff.

I love guys like Beterbiev it's right up my street iv'e never been a purist, just a pity he's already getting old. Got to box and move all night to beat him once you start trading he has you where he wants you even if you are getting through yourself. He's like a bigger punching version of Froch.

Yarde was in it all the way though and i think he got a bit over confident looking for the stoppage if he'd have kept jabbing and moving he might have seen it through to points. 

Talk of Smith next for Artur but i'd prefer Smith v Yarde another great domestic match up, Bivol has to be the only one for Beterbiev now.  Best fight out there imo and should be easier to make than the farcical Spence v Crawford saga or Fury v Usyk.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

I think your comparison with Froch is spot on, I'd never thought about that before, but they're very similar in many ways. I was cringing as some of those shot landed from both fighters last night, but Beterbiev early doors was frightening, the power and accuracy, its a tough way to make a living. 

Great fight.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...