BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Another guy in the manager''s chair but whats changed?

TBTF

Don't know why there is mass disappointment at tonights play off death knell. Seriously , seriously how can a Club even contemplate going up against the tragedy that has been our 2012/13 season.

The only thing that' s changed in reality is the manager-on a bi monthly basis since August.

We have spent a kings ransom this year on shocking signings led largely by a Blue Peter presenter from Malaysia and the true financial extent of this season has yet to reveal itself.

Quite what the rationale is for chasing loan players in a season thats dead is beyond me but i long since gave up trying to work out the plan .

Fundamentally the Club is pretty well in the same dire straits as at any time during Venkys reign except that the costs of reversing our fortunes will be enormous.Will they be up for it?? Have they got the cash to be up for it??

i didnt think i could get any lower than watching us slide out of the PL last year with barely a whimper but i was wrong .This is a whole new low with virtually nothing in the squad and it will take years to sort this mess out.

The fundamentals are as badly wrong tonight as they have ever been and i include perhaps the manager too.I did think he started reasonably well and is a straight talking individual but tactically we are bereft and we dont like like we will score again, never mind win.

Millwall ??Wembley?? doesnt change a thing for me . The Club is simply a shadow .It makes you cry.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Interestingly, there has been a similar pattern in both Berg and Appleton's appointments. An initial decent start (Berg's first few games looked promising) followed by increasingly poor performances and then a total nosedive in form.

The players are the problem for me. The vast majority of them, too. Appleton has quite a mess to sort out in the summer and I don't know if he has the resources or experience necessary to make us into serious promotion or playoff contenders.

I think Appleton is better than Berg or Kean but I don't think he is good enough to get us promoted.

I don't agree the players are the primary problem, they might not be good enough for automatic promotion but IMO with the right organisation and tactics they still ought to be challenging for the play offs. We just keep appointing men in the job with a track record of either gross inexperience or failure.

Not saying for one minute we should get rid, he ought to have a full pre season (unless things go disastrously bad as they did with Berg), but I'm really not overly enthusiastic about the manager.

The problem is, until Venkys appoint a manager who has succeeded elsewhere at this level or above, how can you tell its the players? Berg and Appleton have the squad of players in common, but they also have poor previous records in common. Its just as likely that they're both poor managers. If this job is ever given to a manager like Davies, Megson or Adkins and they fail, we'd know years of squad overhaul are required. But good old Venkys haven't given that a shot since they got here, success and experience is apparently over-rated in the management game.

Not saying for one minute we should get rid, he ought to have a full pre season (unless things go disastrously bad as they did with Berg), but I'm really not overly enthusiastic about the manager.

It may sound harsh, but I would start a fresh in the Summer... As you say though, a manager experienced and able is a must, no more gambles.

The problem is we haven't appointed a manager capable or experienced enough IMO...one poor decision after another.

Sadly Venky's are not Jack Walker

Jack replaced the hapless Kidd with a rottweiler. One who had a very good managerial CV at that.

We just stagger from one unqualified bald man to another

The problem is, until Venkys appoint a manager who has succeeded elsewhere at this level or above, how can you tell its the players?

Sign first division players, get first division football. That's what's been happening for two years now.

None of this comes as any surprise at all.

Sadly Venky's are not Jack Walker

Jack replaced the hapless Kidd with a rottweiler. One who had a very good managerial CV at that.

We just stagger from one unqualified bald man to another

Everyone makes mistakes... Walker with Kidd, Williams with Ince... the difference is they learned from them!

There's no like ability factor being taken into account here at all. Coaches coach, a proper manager is likeable, charismatic even....someone you'd be happy to work for and get on with daily.

Appleton - zero charisma and not sure I'd want him as my boss

Kean - knob obviously

Ince - tosspot and arrogant

Berg - Dull as dishwater

Sam is in fact a top bloke and I know that for a fact that he's a pleasure to work with

Hughes - charismatic and you felt proud when he stood up for our club

Sourness . Top bloke, oozing charisma

We need a headline act, not some cone placing nodding donkeys.

Three (two?) bad results and it's 'get rid' time, eh? How long before there are calls for Singh or the Action Group to get involved?

I understand that any credibility in a phrase similar "take the positives" has been destroyed by Kean but we have to see beyond that.

The manner of the defeats is also a concern but we have to acknowledge injuries. We have 3 or 4 first team players - who would make difference - out.

Appleton must be given time. Even thinking about a fourth manager (sixth?) in 12 months is pointless.

The next change has to be Venkys or it's just a different driver on the crazy bus. But even that will come at a price...

It may sound harsh, but I would start a fresh in the Summer... As you say though, a manager experienced and able is a must, no more gambles.

I wouldn't trust Venkys, Shaw, Singh or whoever is in charge to make a decent managerial appointment. We need to stick with Appleton and let him have a full pre-season to prepare and hopefully get rid of some of those overpaid, overhyped players who don't deserve to wear the shirt.

The problem is that the players we have are completely unsuited to getting promotion from this division. Too many ex-PL players who are past their best and have little motivation to push themselves. Bolton and Wolves suffer from exactly the same problem.

Appleton had a go at sorting it out but there's only so much you can do in a January transfer window.

The problem is that the players we have are completely unsuited to getting promotion from this division. Too many ex-PL players who are passed their best and have little motivation to push themselves. Bolton and Wolves suffer from exactly the same problem.

Appleton had a go at sorting it out but there's only so much you can do in a January transfer window.

That's what happens when you sell your best players, rather than the worst.

• Backroom

The problem is that the players we have are completely unsuited to getting promotion from this division. Too many ex-PL players who are past their best and have little motivation to push themselves. Bolton and Wolves suffer from exactly the same problem.

To an extent true, but why has he not sorted out our biggest problem - central midfield? It's a gaping hole, and yet we've focused on getting in wingers, strikers and defenders.

Archived