BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Another guy in the manager''s chair but whats changed?

TBTF

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To an extent true, but why has he not sorted out our biggest problem - central midfield? It's a gaping hole, and yet we've focused on getting in wingers, strikers and defenders.

I'm not sure. He did sign Williamson for that position, and Cryer suggested a few times that we were looking at that area.

A midfield four containing Bentley, Pedersen and Murphy was always going to be a disaster.

The problem is we haven't appointed a manager capable or experienced enough IMO...one poor decision after another.

They need to start a fresh in the Summer and start getting decisions right or we will be in this league for years to come.

This. Consistency at this level comes from experience. We haven't had a proven manager for three years now and it shows.

That said, if Appleton can consolidate this season then I'm willing to give him pre-season to rebuild the side and start afresh. No sure continually chopping & changing managers is doing any good for the long-term harmony of the club. That, and the list of viable alternatives will be growing shorter by the second.

Bit worrying that you know the lyrics, mind ;)

What we have to consider, of course, is that Appleton has inherited a club so badly misrun that it will take a substantial amount of time to turn around.

I honestly believe that Appleton could be the guy to do it. Maybe it's his soundbites from the press conferences, but I get a good feeling that Appleton knows that he's doing and I never had that from Berg.

I definitely never had that from Baldilocks.

Give him the summer and let's see what he can do before we start getting our knickers in a twist.

We wouldn't be promoted this season if Sir Alex was in charge, so let's just rebuild and give Appleton a chance to make this his team.

We need a headline act, not some cone placing nodding donkeys.

Last I heard the cones were winning two nil :huh:

We fared pretty well with established 'names' until those Indian idiots arrived. Souness, Hughes, Allardyce - then it all went anonymous. I han't even heard of Appleton until he was appointed.

Bryan - Shake hands is one of my favourite clips from any TV show, ever. "If I were a blackbird ......

Well, I think a bit has changed.

Appleton's last few games have been poor, no doubt about that, but overall his record since he came in is pretty decent. He's shored up the defence (give or take a couple of results) seems to have sussed out the problems with the squad - too unbalanced, not enough depth, poor player recruitment - and most of all he seems to have a plan.

Prior to Appleton I'm not sure we had a plan all season - other than go for it. Whereas under Appleton we have a preferred system of playing - 4-4-2, 2 banks of 4, keeping it tight, with wingers supporting the strikers. Never under Berg or Kean did we look to have a plan, and personnel was chopping and changing all over the place. I think it's fair to say that given the unbalanced nature of the squad and the termoil of this season, the chances of the plan working were probably about 50-50. Especially as we've got a few injuries I don't think it's too suprising that we've lost a bit of momentum.

The big problem is what hasn't changed. Venkeys are still running the club. The board/operations people are an absolute joke. The financial situation on my understanding is still precarious. And we haven't really rebuilt links and good will with the fans at all. All of which makes me wonder whether Appleton or anyone else could actually get their plan to work.

Next season will see whether Appleton is good, mediocre or poor. With the circumstances as they are I'm becoming more and more convinced that a decent manager won't be enough to compensate for the off-field chaos. Appleton has to turn out to be very good to get us promoted in such circumstances. It's a massive shame as if we were under Williams et al control, I'd feel pretty confident that even a decent manager would be able to use the facilities, squad, youth set up that we have to mount a strong promotion push.

Venkeys really are destroying the club. But then we all knew that.

Well, I think a bit has changed.

Appleton's last few games have been poor, no doubt about that, but overall his record since he came in is pretty decent. He's shored up the defence (give or take a couple of results) seems to have sussed out the problems with the squad - too unbalanced, not enough depth, poor player recruitment - and most of all he seems to have a plan.

Prior to Appleton I'm not sure we had a plan all season - other than go for it. Whereas under Appleton we have a preferred system of playing - 4-4-2, 2 banks of 4, keeping it tight, with wingers supporting the strikers. Never under Berg or Kean did we look to have a plan, and personnel was chopping and changing all over the place. I think it's fair to say that given the unbalanced nature of the squad and the termoil of this season, the chances of the plan working were probably about 50-50. Especially as we've got a few injuries I don't think it's too suprising that we've lost a bit of momentum.

The big problem is what hasn't changed. Venkeys are still running the club. The board/operations people are an absolute joke. The financial situation on my understanding is still precarious. And we haven't really rebuilt links and good will with the fans at all. All of which makes me wonder whether Appleton or anyone else could actually get their plan to work.

Next season will see whether Appleton is good, mediocre or poor. With the circumstances as they are I'm becoming more and more convinced that a decent manager won't be enough to compensate for the off-field chaos. Appleton has to turn out to be very good to get us promoted in such circumstances. It's a massive shame as if we were under Williams et al control, I'd feel pretty confident that even a decent manager would be able to use the facilities, squad, youth set up that we have to mount a strong promotion push.

Venkeys really are destroying the club. But then we all knew that.

Hence the initial post-whats really changed???

On the playing side i know he has inherited an unholy mess but 9 pts out of 24 of which 5 have been home games isn't anything to write home about. Goals are sparce , we concede for fun against the better sides especially away from home and the recruits haven't yet set the world alight.

So much to prove-though i agree with you his approach to managing the club looks ok.

But the fundamentals aren't changed at all and thats what gives major cause for concernas we contemplate another season in the Championship and all the issues and talking points that throws up.

All roads back to Pune.They have royally screwed this club and its a brave man who thinks our fortunes look set to improve materially any time soon.

So new man in the managers chair but whats really changed??

It's all Appleton's fault. It has to be because certain posters have spent all season telling me and convincing me that we have the best squad in the league.

In reality we spent 5 month buying "number 10 in-the-hole Carlos Kickaballs" and then 2 months trying to get the Carlos Kickaballs off the wage bill in order to bring in so called 'proper Championship players'. Unfortunately the one replacement we have properly seen (DJ Campbell) looks as poor as I thought he would be.

Appleton probably thinks that the general opinion of him will be formed after the game against Millwall when in reality it will be formed 7 days later.

The problem is that so many of you expect an instant turnaround. A lot of damage has been done, a lot of the the playing squad aren't up to scratch and a lot of past mistakes need to be undone. That can't change in one or two months, it will take one or two transfer windows and one or two seasons. I think Appleton says the right things and there are positive signs, but it's a long process. Anyone expecting that we can change manager and that the team will suddenly take off is simply not being realistic.

We might still make the playoffs, although it is unlikely. We might pull of something special in the FA Cup, although it is unlikely. The more important issue is that the club gets back on its feet and is in a position to challenge and improve for years to come. That's a big challenge.

The problem is that so many of you expect an instant turnaround. A lot of damage has been done, a lot of the the playing squad aren't up to scratch and a lot of past mistakes need to be undone. That can't change in one or two months, it will take one or two transfer windows and one or two seasons. I think Appleton says the right things and there are positive signs, but it's a long process. Anyone expecting that we can change manager and that the team will suddenly take off is simply not being realistic.

We might still make the playoffs, although it is unlikely. We might pull of something special in the FA Cup, although it is unlikely. The more important issue is that the club gets back on its feet and is in a position to challenge and improve for years to come. That's a big challenge.

Can't believe you wrote that Eddie...........

http://www.brfcs.com/mb/index.php/topic/28197-rovers-v-middlesbrough/page-15#entry1352580

"My starting position would be that we have a top 8 squad."

and that was only 2 months ago.

But thats the point Eddie.

As you say we have a massive , massive challenge ahead but what has changed to make us better able to tackle it??? Not enough of the fundamentals have been addressed to give us even a remote chance.Another season in the Chumpionship is inevitable and look at what we have on the playing side, the cost we are carrying, the value of any saleable assets and the likely cash we need to spend and we look royally screwed if Venkys don't pony up another boatload of cash.I can't see it happening and the senior managemnt in the Club have no power or authority to do anything that challenges Venkys or threatens their own positions.Bean counters effectively.

Its horrendous

would anybody have accepted mid-table safety at the start of the season?

I would, but that's because Kean was in charge.

I was misguided enough to think that we'd get to the play offs at the very least when he went. I totally underestimated the car crash he left behind.

Kean left behind a car crash and then Singh & the Venkys turned it into a multi car pile up, through taking an absurd amount of time to hire a new manager, that manager being Berg(who was sadly awful) and add all singhs off field comments(ect..) destroying team spirit...Sooo when Appleton was initially appointed id have taken mid table safety no question.

• Backroom

When Berg was sacked I was genuinely worried we were in total freefall, and that we could get sucked into the relegation battle. So mid-table under those circumstances is acceptable.

When you look at the wages the squad is on, though, it really isn't.

Kean left behind a car crash and then Singh & the Venkys turned it into a multi car pile up, through taking an absurd amount of time to hire a new manager, that manager being Berg(who was sadly awful) and add all singhs off field comments(ect..) destroying team spirit...Sooo when Appleton was initially appointed id have taken mid table safety no question.

Think you missed mentioning a couple of people there T.J ,one taking full advantage of the plan to buy the car and the car crash for which he was rewarded with a place on the board then appointing his mate and both playing their parts in the following pile up and still riding the gravy train, but hey ho lets just blame Singh and Venky's.

I think most the very highly paid players are either crap(murphy, robinson, etuhu, morten, givet, kazim, etc..), hopfully we can get rid of as many as possible in the summer and replace them with more sensibly paid quality players(though I cant see murphy going anywhere unless he accepts a huge wage drop).

Archived