BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Would you swap the Venkys for the Oystons?

We had this discussion on a Blackpool forum a few weeks back and it seem most of our fans would rather have the Venkys. Although they make mistake after mistake, at least they seem willing to spend on players and wages, something we can only dream of. Both owners cost there clubs places in the Premiership IMO, ours by refusing to spend a penny and yours by sacking Fat Sam. The Oystons have milked the club for all the Premier League money, paying Owen 11 million whilst refusing to pay the going rate for players, refusing to invest in the cabbage patch of a pitch, buying land for 650k then selling it to the club for 6.5 million, building hotels with the Premier League revenue, having days when the players are unable to train due to unfit for purpose training facilities. We have needed a striker for 3 years, yet you have them in abundance, transfer fees received are never reinvested and just seem to vanish, we have a stand which is unsafe and dosent seem to be any closer to being repaired. I could go on and on with the list but iam sure you get the jist, all i will say is be careful what you wish for ;)

It is an interesting one for which the phrase frying pan and fire was probably invented. At least under the Oystons you have seen some success - under the venkys it has been all down hill. All comes down to trust - with your lot you know where you stand (though you may not like it) and there is no chance of administration - with our lot it could be administration or could be continued support (though this support only goes as far under writing the debts).

At the moment we seem to be in a race to get relegated and be the worst run team in the North West.

Interesting question. Neither are much cop but do you think Oyston would liquidate the club? Or is he more likely to try to keep it going in the hope he will continue to make him some money? Are your costs (wages) so high that you are losing £2m per month? Has Oyston saddled the club with debt to cover losses?

These are the things we worry about.

You need to compare also the relative positions of the club under their ownership.

In addition Oyston has kept you at the level you started at - even increased your standing. He got you promoted and the football world love plucky Blackpool - the team who play the game the right way.

Venkys on the other hand have taken us down about 30 places in the league and have made us a complete laughing stock. When was the last time a Preston fan applied for the manager's job at your club and got the attention of the press?

By the way you may be playing on the beach but our pitch isn't that great either. Maybe Appy was sneaking in at night and keaning all over it!

EDIT: family show!

• Backroom

Indeed, our pitch will soon rival Blackpool's at this rate.

I think it's harsh to say Oyston cost you your place in the Premiership. In a normal season you would have survived with that points tally, and who knows where the club goes from there? It was bad luck. I appreciate things aren't perfect at Blackpool but anybody saying they would rather have Venky's does not fully appreciate what they have done and are continuing to do to Rovers.

Appleton chose Venky's over Oyston and it didn't work out so well for him (in terms of his job anyway, a £500k payout for 2 months work ain't bad going admittedly).

The Oystons have zero interest in the footballing side of business, what has been achieved is quite remarkable and is down to pure luck not him being shrewd. The club will soon be back in the lower leagues where its budget belongs, sooner or later luck will run out. We were a decent keeper away from staying up, we went in for Shay Given on loan and nearly got him, problem was they wanted 20k a week paid towards his wages and we ony offered 10k, we ended up with a clown in nets who kept making mistakes and got relegated by 1 point. Did i also mention the Oystons charge the club 250k per home game for rental of the stadium?

Oystons every time. Smart money would suggest that the future of Blackpool is much safer than that of BRFC. I'd go so far as to opine that if all chairman were like Karl Oyston 95% of English football clubs would be in a much better state financially.

Agents would of course play bit part roles and need a day job to supplement their champagne lifestyles and footballers would accept far more realsitic remuneration...... Who knows we might even batter teams like Montenegro on the way to winning the World Cup! In my time I have seen many changes in football and apart from the pitches few of them have been for the good.

Venky's are having to spend big money because of the bad decisions though. If they had put the right things in place they wouldn't be shelling out £2 M a month to keep this club afloat.

The right things were already in place, they didn't have to do anything! Instead they shat all over us!

At the moment I would take the Venkys over the Oyston Clan but only just. A few years ago I was told a story from a Man U fan who was serving them at a restaurant and he was appalled at their attitude and open bragging about how much they were making out of the club and the fans.

Jack Walker cared for his club, Oystons bought Blackpool FC for the land the club owned. Its laughable that the Oystons complain and wont deal with agents in the game, yet they are estate agents themselves. Give me the Venkys any day of the week, i think there could well be two sets of fans protesting at the game. Iam hoping our happy clappy fans learn a few things of yours.

Archived