BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Relegation threatened Sunderland sack manager Martin O'Neill

Is it any wonder Am'o is taking the @#/? out of you?

Have a word with yourself. It's a football messageboard, not Newsnight.

I didn't realise he was. can you point out where? i thought he was being a bit paranoid myself. I'm sorry if you being an ignorant kean makes me Paxman. Some people don't like fascists, wonder why eh?

'Have a word with yourself'. Are you Danny Dyer guv'nor? Cor blimey cobbler, ave a woooord!

Blindin'

How come the Dean is not a rabbi then? Perhaps he too has a few questions to answer.

If that happens and Sunderland decide to pot him then he can certainly come here. In fact I'd pick him up from the station.

I'd bet you've picked up a few strange men on stations. Oooh Matron,,,

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How come the Dean is not a rabbi then? Perhaps he too has a few questions to answer.

If that happens and Sunderland decide to pot him then he can certainly come here. In fact I'd pick him up from the station.

You know people by the company they keep. You and PDC could compare extremist views from the mid C20th.

The Ready to go Sunderland forums had a sticky poll, PDC, good appointment or no.

At one point, it was about 931 for, 181 no, 150, don't know. So? That must be close to only 1 in 5 have objections and that's a fair number. All managers get a lot of guff from fans.

The way I see it, PDC was consorting with the Ultras in things he did, this is the mentality maybe over there at least with some.

They clean up that board all the time, that poll has been taken down or else, they unstickied it and now I am not sure where it is.

But a lot of people came out and voiced their disapproval, it's even gotten real heated over there in a few case, you know what I mean..

I don't link to it because, yes, quite a few expletives, I do respect this forum for having a respectful tone, maybe it's mainly teens who post over there. Man, I hadn't looked at that forum more than once over the past year and now since the weekend have been reading it some.

----------------

A few years ago, wasn't their a player who through drink driving killed someone?? That's the kind of stuff I think is bad. Di Canio may have offended some people but it is some time ago, I guess in his autobiography he calls himself a fascist and that's what some are pointing out.

--------------

There's the poll, 75% for, 14% no, rest undecided.

DEAN OF DURHAM URGES DI CANIO TO ``RENOUNCE FASCISM''
By Martyn Ziegler, Chief Reporter, Press Association Sport
The Dean of Durham has written an open letter to new Sunderland manager Paolo di Canio calling on the Italian to publicly renounce fascism or risk being associated with ``toxic far-right tendencies''.

The Very Reverend Michael Sadgrove, the son of a Jewish war refugee and a Sunderland supporter, said he was struggling to stay loyal to the club and that he found Di Canio's ``self-confessed fascism deeply troubling''.

Di Canio refused to confirm or deny whether he was a fascist at a news conference yesterday but has previously stated he is ``a fascist but not a racist''.

He has also been pictured giving a fascist salute to Lazio 'ultras' and photographed attending the funeral of a leading Italian fascist.

In his open letter to Di Canio, the Dean of Durham wrote: ``Your appointment raises very difficult questions. You see, I am the child of a Jewish war refugee who got out of Germany and came to Britain just in time. Some of her family and friends perished in the Nazi death camps. So I find your self-confessed fascism deeply troubling.

``Fascism was nearly the undoing of the world. It cost millions of innocent lives. Mussolini, who you say has been deeply misunderstood, openly colluded with it. You are said to wear a tattoo DUX which speaks for itself. This all adds up to what I find baffling.

``You say that you are not a racist, but it needs great sophistication to understand how fascism and racism are ultimately different. I can promise you that this distinction will be lost on the people of the North East where the British National Party is finding fertile ground in which to sow the seeds of its pernicious and poisonous doctrine.

``You did not necessarily know this before you came. But I believe that unless you clearly renounce fascism in all its manifestations, you will be associated with these toxic far-right tendencies we have seen too much of in this region.''

Sadgrove said he was ``genuinely perplexed'' as to why Di Canio had refused to clarify his political beliefs and warned that the club now stands to lose support and respect at home and abroad.

He added: ``Please tell me that I have misunderstood, or missed some fundamental issue here. I am simply telling you with a heavy heart that it feels hard at the moment to stay loyal.''

To his utmost credit the Dean of Durham has apparently issued a further statement accepting Di Canio's statement today and saying he hopes that puts an end to the matter and that they can now concentrate on the football.

Surprised you missed that jim, thought you'd have reproduced that as well in the interests of balance.

Managers aren't "role models" any more than players are - they're just doing a job. That's not the point - he shouldn't be anywhere near such a high-profile job because his stated views and past actions are unacceptable in a decent society. The Premier League should have acted but as usual turned a blind eye.

I don't suppose you'd have any objection to Di Canio landing a job as a toilet cleaner, or flipping burgers at McDonalds though.

It's not against the law to hold political views of any sort, thankfully we live in a democratic society. Saying that someone who holds views different to your own shouldn't be considered for any worthwhile position is an extremely dangerous road to go down, not so far removed from the menace our predecessors fought so bravely to overcome.

I don't suppose you'd have any objection to Di Canio landing a job as a toilet cleaner, or flipping burgers at McDonalds though.

It's not against the law to hold political views of any sort, thankfully we live in a democratic society. Saying that someone who holds views different to your own shouldn't be considered for any worthwhile position is an extremely dangerous road to go down, not so far removed from the menace our predecessors fought so bravely to overcome.

Nonsense. Read the Dean of Durham's statement why Di Canio's views are unacceptable.

Does that apply to racists too? religious extremists? homophobes? holocaust deniers?

Would it be ok for anyone from those groups to be Rovers manager? Abu Qatada perhaps?

He'd be a step up from kean n Appleton

Stupid response. Try again.

You know people by the company they keep. You and PDC could compare extremist views from the mid C20th.

Hey up it's the Trotsky Twins again. All I want from a football manager is someone to manage my team well. Is that too difficult for you commies to come to terms with?

Answer me a question.... you are in a car crash and losing blood at an alarming rate and on the point of death and the paramedic who turns up to save your miserable lives has a tattoo of Il Duce on his forearm. How strong would your objections to his politics be then? Would you refuse his help?

To save time I'll answer.... Would you hell. Not even if he had a pointy white hat with eye holes in it! You would both say @#/? all whilst he gave you a transfusion and rescucitation but once you woke up safe and sound in hospital I'm sure you would complain strenuously to the authorities, the press anmd your MP and demand he be sacked and put to death immediately.

Correct Simon....... but in truth do you expect anything else from that particular source?

To his utmost credit the Dean of Durham has apparently issued a further statement accepting Di Canio's statement today

SFW? What has he got to do with anything regarding football? He should by rights be more bothered that Sland have appointed yet another Roman Catholic as manager..... Or does that not matter anymore to such?

Hey up it's the Trotsky Twins again. All I want from a football manager is someone to manage my team well. Is that too difficult for you commies to come to terms with?

Answer me a question.... you are in a car crash and losing blood at an alarming rate and on the point of death and the paramedic who turns up to save your miserable lives has a tattoo of Il Duce on his forearm. How strong would your objections to his politics be then? Would you refuse his help?

To save time I'll answer.... Would you hell. Not even if he had a pointy white hat with eye holes in it! You would both say @#/? all whilst he gave you a transfusion and rescucitation but once you woke up safe and sound in hospital I'm sure you would complain strenuously to the authorities, the press anmd your MP and demand he be sacked and put to death immediately.

Correct Simon....... but in truth do you expect anything else from that particular source?

Quite right. In that scenario I'd be too injured to make any objections at the time but once I'd recovered I would indeed be demanding he was dismissed. FYI a paramedic with "Dux" on his arm wouldn't get past the hospital front door - the health service is a decent place of work with decent people working in it but decency is an alien concept to you.

I wouldn't want anyone to be "put to to death", immediately or otherwise. I'll leave that to uncivilised countries.

• Backroom

Imo, Sunderland was an inappropriate job for DiCanio, given the city's history of bombing in WW2 (by the fascist state). The ire should be aimed at the board for the appointment.

But for people to insist DiCanio recant his views is just wrong. The ONLY thing that matters is his ability to do the job, so the ball is in his court to do the job or resign if he feels the need. For a general public(that should know better) to say he shouldn't have a certain job because of the political views he holds is a show of neo-fascism in itself, surely?

Nonsense. Read the Dean of Durham's statement why Di Canio's views are unacceptable.

:lol:

I can't be bothered reading his views because his opinion holds no sway with me, however, religion is far worse than fascism for evil wrong doings, the history of the world tells us that.

I can not be totally sure, Mussolini had "racist views", maybe you can find them and they seem to exist in Italy sometimes from the Ultras.

But from what I can tell, Eritrea, then an Italian Colony, helped the Italians invade Ethiopia, the Eritreans and Ethiopians, though the same people, speaking Asmaran, are ancient foes.

Also, people will say Germany strong armed Italy into following policies so Italy itself would not be invaded though it appears often that Mussolini and Der Fuhrer were buddies.

http://www.asmera.nl/asmara.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Eritrea

That said, The Italian Fascists I take it, killed a lot of those that disagreed with them, Anarchists, Communists.

------------

One thing not touched on, perhaps it's irrelevant but it is that Italy was on the Allied Side of World War I:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties

One thing I didn't know is Italy suffered heavy casualties in World War I, both in military and total deaths. Chart on the above page.

You really need to learn how to use the quote facility. As it stands people reading your post could be forgiven for thinking that you are elderly and confused.

Very Good! Ha ha.

Thanks for making me smile on an otherwise suicidally depressing afternoon.

If I cheer up anymore I might even have the strength to open up the two pages of Fantasy United drivel you've started up again. I really don't know which is more frightening the misguided meanderings of Thenodrog's mind or the league table.

I may be gone sometime...

Very Good! Ha ha.

Thanks for making me smile on an otherwise suicidally depressing afternoon.

If I cheer up anymore I might even have the strength to open up the two pages of Fantasy United drivel you've started up again. I really don't know which is more frightening the misguided meanderings of Thenodrog's mind or the league table.

I may be gone sometime...

I didn't start it.

Sunderland lost to Man Utd. 1-Nil last weekend. It does seem MON was hard done, I kind of hope Chelsea can nick this against Sunderland. Looking at Sunderland's upcoming matches, they could easily start 0-3 with DiCanio, nothing against PDC.

Away to Chelsea, then the Magpies and then home to Everton.

At Villa, home to Stoke, Saints, at Spurs. All of those matches could be daunting.

Sunderland's got a mission impossible and Wigan and Villa aren't playing too bad.

Archived