BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Relegation threatened Sunderland sack manager Martin O'Neill

Relegation-threatened Sunderland have sacked

manager Martin O'Neill

following a poor run of results.

The Black Cats sit only one point above the Premier League relegation zone with seven games left after a

1-0 defeat by Manchester United on Saturday.

Sunderland are without a win in eight matches and have picked up

only three points out of 24 during that spell.

The club said a decision about O'Neill's successor would "be made in the coming days".

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never rated O'Neill at all. As far as I am concerned he's not only a vastly overarted manager but he's not a full shilling either and the myth that was perpetrated by the massed ranks of know-nowts in the press and media that he was the ntural successor to SAF was preposterous.

Beyond belief (or maybe not) that so many on here kept putting his name forward along with the likes of Jol and Sschteve Maclaren as a replacement for Allardyce.

Oh btw his win %age at Sland was 29%.

Has lost his mojo in the last year or two imo.

Possibly at age 61 he's getting a bit old to motivate and inspire the team solely by bouncing up and down on the touchline like Tigger.

Reportedly he's exactly the opposite on the training ground, very aloof with the players.

Stan Collymore said last night he's one of the last old fashioned authoritarian managers the others being Ferguson and Moyes. In Collymore's view only Ferguson can really get away with it with the modern player.

Said O Neil told Savage when they were at Leicester "Forget any idea you can play football and give the ball to someone who can."

Quite funny in a way but treading dangerous ground all the same.

Said O Neil told Savage when they were at Leicester "Forget any idea you can play football and give the ball to someone who can."

To be fair Savage made a very highly paid career out of it.

I bet he high-fived his accountant all the way to the bank. "Thanks Martin!"

Guest Norbert

That would be a risky appointment. It would either be an inspired move, and he'll gee them up so much the'll storm the last few games, or it'll all go very, very wrong, he'll fall out with the squad and there will be a massive punch up in training. Either way, I can't wait to see the Newcastle game!

Has lost his mojo in the last year or two imo.

Possibly at age 61 he's getting a bit old to motivate and inspire the team solely by bouncing up and down on the touchline like Tigger.

Reportedly he's exactly the opposite on the training ground, very aloof with the players.

Stan Collymore said last night he's one of the last old fashioned authoritarian managers the others being Ferguson and Moyes. In Collymore's view only Ferguson can really get away with it with the modern player.

Good advice in my opinion.

O'Neill was always different; intelligent and articulate and a university graduate. Great success with Leicester and Celtic and probably finished with management now and back in the MotD studio with his mates soon.

Guest Norbert

They're due to play Newcastle soon. I can't wait for that. Imagine if the geordies get a dodgy penalty in the first 10 minutes, Paolo would be sent off in record time.

• Backroom

This is either going to be an inspired appointment or a total disaster. I can't see it being anything in between. Long-term I really don't think Di Canio is the answer... far too unstable.

So has one of the head of supporter groups, both in protest at Di Canio's political stance and comments.

Football and politics have no place together, but fair to them.

The man (Di Canio) is a joker.

Archived