BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jon stead for £8 million

Evening all,

Seeing as he has just signed back on for the Town today. Might as well not waste time, you can sign him off us if you like for a cool £8 million... It a bargain, plus a nice juxtaposition give Stead and Huddersfields/Blackburns history.

Its a great dea at that price. I'll even be biting my own hands off. Just don't dob me into the turkish authorities!!! :D

Evening all,

Seeing as he has just signed back on for the Town today. Might as well not waste time, you can sign him off us if you like for a cool £8 million... It a bargain, plus a nice juxtaposition give Stead and Huddersfields/Blackburns history.

Its a great dea at that price. I'll even be biting my own hands off. Just don't dob me into the turkish authorities!!! :D

Really liked him at first but then just never seemed to play well again. He scored a really nice goal against Everton the following season but was just generally anonymous. Think we sold him to Sunderland. He scored the winner in about 4 games in the season we could have gone down.

I know you love to make jokes about the 8 million we spent on Rhodes but I'm pretty sure you said he was worth 20 or something so I guess the jokes on you. 8 million for one of the top 10 strikers in the Premier League is a bargain.

His career seemed to nosedive once Cole left. IIRC, the two of them had a promising partnership and Stead seemed to be shadowing the ex-Utd striker until Cole was potted by Souness.

His career seemed to nosedive once Cole left. IIRC, the two of them had a promising partnership and Stead seemed to be shadowing the ex-Utd striker until Cole was potted by Souness.

I thought Cole had gone to pot by then? I definitely remember Stead and Gallagher starting together because the other strikers were useless. Got a feeling Stead scored the winner in their first game together. Middlesbrough away? Something like that.

Edit; quick Google says that was Stead's debut. That's probably why I remember it. Gally and Stead started ahead of Cole that gameis though.

He was a great signing for us at the time. Without a doubt his goals kept us in the Premier League. He was a bit unlucky the following season, how many times did he hit the woodwork that year. After that his confidence seemed to go. Good luck to the lad.

As I predicted (to much criticism at the time) he didn't have the quality to make a living in the Premier League. Thankfully Hughes sussed him and got rid.

Reading a lot of excuses for him but personally I think he just wasn't good enough. Some strikers can make a short-term impact at a higher level than they generally have the ability to play at. They're a surprise package, opposition managers haven't come up with strategies to neutralise them and defenders have their attention fixed on the other striker (in this case Andy Cole).

Stead's career since Rovers points to the end of that 03/04 season being something of a fluke. He's done all right at Ipswich and Bristol City and I'd put him as either a good League 1 striker or an ok Championship one. Really sound lad though and will always appreciate the contribution he made to keeping us up when he first arrived.

• Backroom

One other cool thing about Stead: an absolute refusal to celebrate any goal vs a previous team. More than can be said for many players tbh.

I liked him in the same way I came to like Gally and Derbyshire at the time. Good, but not good enough. My God did they try though.

One other cool thing about Stead: an absolute refusal to celebrate any goal vs a previous team.

I find that a little patronizing, tbh.

As long as they don't go overboard, I don't see the indignity in celebrating a goal because it happens to be against your ex-employers. That's the name of the game.

• Backroom

As long as they don't go overboard, I don't see the indignity in celebrating a goal because it happens to be against your ex-employers. That's the name of the game.

I think it's just nice to show respect. Different if the club wronged you in some way, mind :P

If ex players score against us at Ewood they should over celebrate just to annoy the crowd, because rovers fans are, at times, a disgrace when it comes to "welcoming back" former players. Shearer got abuse for years and Bellamy got an horrendous amount of stick.

• Backroom

Shearer said he'd happily trade in his PL medal to win 'something' with Newcastle. That's immensely disrespectful. Though re: Bellamy, no idea why he got dogs abuse.

With former players, you generally hear a round of applause from where I've sat. Stead, Johnson, Duff, Reid and many others have all had rounds of applause.

Archived