BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lancs on top vs Kent. Ben Compton carried his bat and straight back in to bat.

If he gets another big knock the brains at the ECB will start looking at him without realising the cc is so devalued it’s an under strength Lancs attack and these lads end up playing for England without ever facing an international bowler. Even doctors and plumbers in the Lancs league 30 years ago used to face better a few better a season than modern professionals in the county championship.

If he was facing jimmy and saqib who knows the ECB might actually learn something about the lad. But no. Bailey (who’s no slouch at county level) will probably be the best bowler he’s likely to face all season.

Especially with that fatty key getting promoted to a position well beyond his capabilities a player from Kent in pole position. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Plus I’m sure the ECB are asking can he make a quick 20. 

Their concern- as is my concern - is that top batsmen could destroy him. 

Like you say, he does get some action on the ball and the only way to find out if he’s up to it is play him. If they do play then give him a few games. Give him a proper chance,

Parkinson might get some lower order Test batsmen out but he won’t trouble the best. And he balls too many 4 balls, at least one an over. Swann’s skill was his ability to maintain pressure on the batsman by bowling dot balls, over after over. 

13 hours ago, den said:

Their concern- as is my concern - is that top batsmen could destroy him. 

Like you say, he does get some action on the ball and the only way to find out if he’s up to it is play him. If they do play then give him a few games. Give him a proper chance,

Well the late Shane Warne rated Parkinson rated him. Maybe we should listen to a all time great? 

Parkinson is the best spinner in the county game so play him. 

11 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Parkinson might get some lower order Test batsmen out but he won’t trouble the best. And he balls too many 4 balls, at least one an over. Swann’s skill was his ability to maintain pressure on the batsman by bowling dot balls, over after over. 

Swann didn't have that skill when he first broke into the test squad in South Africa but as time and playing games he develop this skill. Maybe Parkinson will do the same,

I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but Lancashire are building a “second home” in Leyland. It will be a new all year round development which will host a number of mens and womens matches every year. comprising two pitches  it will be a fully equipped training facility and will become a centre of excellence for womens cricket.

Its all part of Lancs plans to expand into communities and encouraging youngsters to take up the game. Work will start this year and finished by 2024.

Edited by den
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, den said:

I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but Lancashire are building a “second home” in Leyland. It will be a new all year round development which will host a number of mens and womens matches every year. comprising two pitches  it will be a fully equipped training facility and will become a centre of excellence for womens cricket.

Its all part of Lancs plans to expand into communities and encouraging youngsters to take up the game. Work will start this year and finished by 2024.

I did post it at the beginning of December when it was announced but it got lost around the Ashes. I don’t know where the plans are with planning permission but there was some unsurprising local grumbling at the time.

16 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I did post it at the beginning of December when it was announced but it got lost around the Ashes. I don’t know where the plans are with planning permission but there was some unsurprising local grumbling at the time.

Planning permission expected in 3 months time, completion of work 2024

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Swann didn't have that skill when he first broke into the test squad in South Africa but as time and playing games he develop this skill. Maybe Parkinson will do the same,

And maybe he won't.... and is highly unlikely

Swann was a phenomenal bowler and a decent batsmen too. Parkinson bowls too many 4 balls (easy hits), which Swann rarely did. He has a long way to go to be half the player of Swann

Apparently there weren't many applications for the England job

Good luck to Rob Key. Baffles me what he's done to deserve it....former players-turned-TV pundits-turned-managers has such a good history with England

• Like 3

4 hours ago, only2garners said:

I believe it’s in Farrington not too far from where the rovers have played at Lancashire fa hq. Not sold on this idea really especially as likely to be a nail in the coffin of current out grounds like bpool, aigburth and Southport. Plus if it’s where I’m picturing (behind that industrial estate where they build trucks etc) then it’s hardly well served by trains etc. 

Edited by matt83

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

And maybe he won't.... and is highly unlikely

Swann was a phenomenal bowler and a decent batsmen too. Parkinson bowls too many 4 balls (easy hits), which Swann rarely did. He has a long way to go to be half the player of Swann

But Swann didn't have the control in his early part of career when the same age as Parkinson;. 

Leg Spinners have less control have less control than finger spinners but leg/wrist spinners get more spin and wickets. 

Surely we should play our best spinner which is Matt Parkinson so why not play and back him? England coaches and people struggle to embrace wrist spinners at all levels 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Apparently there weren't many applications for the England job

Good luck to Rob Key. Baffles me what he's done to deserve it....former players-turned-TV pundits-turned-managers has such a good history with England

Didn't Strauss do an excellent job as England MD? 

Key has plenty of county and international cricket plus knows his cricket. If you have listen to Sky Sports Cricket pundits over the past 6 months, he has come up with some good ideas like revamping the county cricket structure of the game, Splitting the coach job because of the different formats, where their teams are and what each squad knows. 

47 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

At least some of the county batsmen have put their hats in the ring, Duckett, Bracey both started strongly 

Tom Hanies from Sussex have been in form. 

Josh Bohannon from Lancashire

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But Swann didn't have the control in his early part of career when the same age as Parkinson;. 

Leg Spinners have less control have less control than finger spinners but leg/wrist spinners get more spin and wickets. 

Surely we should play our best spinner which is Matt Parkinson so why not play and back him? England coaches and people struggle to embrace wrist spinners at all levels 

Didn't Strauss do an excellent job as England MD? 

Key has plenty of county and international cricket plus knows his cricket. If you have listen to Sky Sports Cricket pundits over the past 6 months, he has come up with some good ideas like revamping the county cricket structure of the game, Splitting the coach job because of the different formats, where their teams are and what each squad knows. 

Swann always had the control.

Rashid is England's only leg spinner of recent times, and he was hardly a prolific wicket taker. Most spinners (off and leg) aren't worth their place in the team most of the time. Parkinson will get taken apart by good batsmen 

Strauss wasn't a media pundit. Just because Key talks a good game in the media doesn't qualify him for a senior management role

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

I believe it’s in Farrington not too far from where the rovers have played at Lancashire fa hq. Not sold on this idea really especially as likely to be a nail in the coffin of current out grounds like bpool, aigburth and Southport. Plus if it’s where I’m picturing (behind that industrial estate where they build trucks etc) then it’s hardly well served by trains etc. 

It’s being built just over a mile from central Leyland. If you come out of Leyland along Stanifield lane to the biggish roundabout where you would ge left towards the tip and entrance to the Leyland asslebly plant, it’s just off that roundabout.

I think it’s good that Lancs are looking to branch out into other areas of Lancs, but to be honest I expect very few senior mens games to be played there, although Lancs do say they will play some senior games there. For starters I don’t think there are currently any plans to build stands there, although that could change. They will build “natural sloping areas” for viewing.

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Strauss wasn't a media pundit. Just because Key talks a good game in the media doesn't qualify him for a senior management role

Well Strauss worked as Cricket pundit on Sky Sports for 2 years between 2013 to 2015. 

Key has plenty of cricket knowledge and experience. This is Cricket role first and one where he needs to make cricketing decisions. You only need to listen to comments how he would split the coaching role, change the county first class structure, etc. 

Rashid is England's only leg spinner of recent times, and he was hardly a prolific wicket taker.

No one will be prolific on playing seamer friendly wickets. 

Most spinners (off and leg) aren't worth their place in the team most of the time. Parkinson will get taken apart by good batsmen 

Yes must aren't worth cos of the crap pitches they are playing on and far too much cricket is played. 

Parkinson is worth in place in the Lancashire team and now he is the best spinner in the country so play him in all test matches this year and give him a proper chance 

16 hours ago, matt83 said:

Matt - it's very close to the end of the M65 and junction 29 on the M6. It's easily walkable from Lostock Hall station and a bit further from Leyland station. The 111 bus from Preston to Leyland will run right by it. I can walk to it from home!

It would be hard to think of anywhere else as close to the centre of the county.

This from Lancashire's press release - Lancashire will continue to use the club’s current outgrounds across the North-West at Liverpool CC, Southport and Birkdale CC, Blackpool CC and at Sedbergh School once the new facility has opened.

• Like 1