BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Midfield 4

Assuming we play either 2 up top or 1 behind Rhodes (ie, Rochina), what do you want to see from the 4 in behind? I think we all agree we need new blood but, if we don't get anyone, who would you play?

Personally, my central midfield pairing would be Taylor & Williamson. The latter is probably a given considering the other options being Marrow, Lowe & Pedersen. Of those 3, Marrow is currently in pole position on what I've seen. Taylor has impressed me so far with his work rate & his willingness to support the front players but he doesn't seem to have the pace to play out wide. I think this pairing would give us a couple of hard working, strong players but also with the attacking instincts we've been lacking.

Dunn, for me, is more of an impact player & is better served from the bench to try & change a game. I'm not sure he can hold his own now in a central 2, whilst O'Sullivan has potential but isn't the option although he will get some game time. I know I've not mentioned Etuhu & Formica either but I'm sure you'll understand why!

On the left side of midfield, it's Nunes for me. He's done enough pre season to convince me he's ready & I'd put him slightly ahead of King although King could play on the other flank. Maybe both of them is just a little too attacking so, especially with Kane's attacking instincts from full back, we could play Judge who will also give us some quality from set plays. One other alternative, especially to combat any opposing threat, would be to combine Henley & Kane as the 2 right sided players. Both are good full backs but love to bomb forward & they could be an interesting option especially away from home.

Thoughts?

As long as we don't play a 4-4-2, and that moron fans don't ask for that formation either, I don't mind!

Wasn't suggesting a 4-4-2, more a 4-5-1 / 4-2-3-1 with Rochina or DJ being the one to play off Rhodes. So, it's 2 central midfielders & 2 wide 'attackers'. Unless I'm missing a trick & there's a different formation such as the 4-3-3 GB employed in his first stint as caretaker.....if so, I've not seen any evidence of that so far.

Agree with the OP out of our current options, for me Taylor could work with a "destroyer", plenty of industry and good going forward.

Fancy Nunes (not like that :lol:) wide left, I thought he should have played more last season, raw, but has something about him, puts a good ball in, old-school winger.

Again, agree with the Judge/Kane combo as Judge cuts inside and Kane could overlap.

For what it's worth I think Rochina should start up top with Rhodes, and fine him if he ever comes within 60 yards from our net, causes mischief with defenders, would rather it not be ours.

• Backroom

Personally given the evidence so far I would like to play

Not Lowe Not Lowe Not Lowe Not Lowe

Probably

Taylor Williamson ANother King

Would be my prefered option but that second midfield spot is a worry still

Personally given the evidence so far I would like to play

Not Lowe Not Lowe Not Lowe Not Lowe

Probably

Taylor Williamson ANother King

Would be my prefered option but that second midfield spot is a worry still

Got to be Dunn at moment?

What we do for the other 40 games im not sure.

Of the options we have at the moment I would go.

Judge Williamson Etuhu Taylor

I haven't seen enough of Marrow yet to comment but if he is good enough I would replace him for Williamson. On Etuhu I didn't think he was anyway near as bad as some people say on here last season, in fact before he got injured I would have said he was easily one of our best players (not a great accolade I admit). Especially when you consider he was playing as on his own (because Murphy was awful) against 2 or sometimes 3 in the centre of midfield.

Of the options we have at the moment I would go.

Judge Williamson Etuhu Taylor

I haven't seen enough of Marrow yet to comment but if he is good enough I would replace him for Williamson. On Etuhu I didn't think he was anyway near as bad as some people say on here last season, in fact before he got injured I would have said he was easily one of our best players (not a great accolade I admit). Especially when you consider he was playing as on his own (because Murphy was awful) against 2 or sometimes 3 in the centre of midfield.

Etuhu had a pretty good first few weeks, after that he was abysmal imo.

Funnily enough, I was defending Murphy until about Christmas for the same reason you do Etuhu, not his fault his partner is awful is it? In retrospect, I think they were both as bad as each other.

I Think playing Lowe in midfeld is playing him out of position. The best games I've seen Lowey is when he played at right back. He seems to be more offensive at right back than in midfeld in some way.

Agreed , and as the only poster to include Lowe in my 4 man midfield i though i ought to explain my reasoning .

i also included Nunes and would also play Rochina behind Rhodes , that gives us 2 what i would call flair players not known for their defensive work in the side , to play Dunn or Pedersen or Judge (who again i would consider attacking players) in there too i think would be asking for trouble , so imo and in the absense of another defensive midfielder better than Lowe , he would be in my 4 .

Sometimes the best TEAM doesn't always have the best players in it

Assuming we play either 2 up top or 1 behind Rhodes (ie, Rochina), what do you want to see from the 4 in behind? I think we all agree we need new blood but, if we don't get anyone, who would you play?

Personally, my central midfield pairing would be Taylor & Williamson. The latter is probably a given considering the other options being Marrow, Lowe & Pedersen. Of those 3, Marrow is currently in pole position on what I've seen. Taylor has impressed me so far with his work rate & his willingness to support the front players but he doesn't seem to have the pace to play out wide. I think this pairing would give us a couple of hard working, strong players but also with the attacking instincts we've been lacking.

Dunn, for me, is more of an impact player & is better served from the bench to try & change a game. I'm not sure he can hold his own now in a central 2, whilst O'Sullivan has potential but isn't the option although he will get some game time. I know I've not mentioned Etuhu & Formica either but I'm sure you'll understand why!

On the left side of midfield, it's Nunes for me. He's done enough pre season to convince me he's ready & I'd put him slightly ahead of King although King could play on the other flank. Maybe both of them is just a little too attacking so, especially with Kane's attacking instincts from full back, we could play Judge who will also give us some quality from set plays. One other alternative, especially to combat any opposing threat, would be to combine Henley & Kane as the 2 right sided players. Both are good full backs but love to bomb forward & they could be an interesting option especially away from home.

Thoughts?

Saw nothing at Preston to massively change my opinion. The only comments I'd make is that Judge is now firmly ahead of King to play on the opposite side to Fabio Nunes, whilst Marrow is the best back up option in the middle.

Judge - Williamson - Taylor - Fabio

...with King (wide), Marrow (defensive central) & Dunn (attacking central, impact player) as the best back up options.

I actually though, despite the fact that DJ Campbell was very sharp before his injury, our midfield looked much better when Taylor came on and we went to more a 4-2-3-1.

The team looked much more balance, Marrow really put himself about and got stuck in, he was let down again by the terrible Jason Lowe, who halts the momentum of counter attacks, fails with simple passes and doesn't put a foot in enough. We need a Spearing/Bannan/Vaughan type player to play in there and look to dictate the play.

The 3 in front of Taylor, King and Judge had a very nice mixture of attacking threat and hard work. Judge played better centrally as he looked to pick it up off the 2 behind him, and King pulled the ball out of the air a couple of times and looked to use his pace. Taylor was grafting down the other side and looked to get crosses in.

I think our best choice at the moment would be:

New creative CM Marrow/Williamson

King Judge Taylor

I have been impressed with Nunes in pre-season, and Dunn and Rochina can also play in the 3 off the striker, but I do think that this system is our best bet.

Archived