BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Feed the homeless in Ramadan

After huge success last year, Muslims have once again organised "Iftar (breaking the fast) with the homeless".

This will be taking place on Saturday 27th July.

Many of us take for granted the food and shelter we have. Poverty is on the rise and many individuals are struggling in this horrendous economic climate. Those that are unaware, during the month of Ramadan, Muslims do not eat from sunrise to sunset.

If anyone is aware of any homeless people or any that are struggling, then please feel free to pass the message on.

https://twitter.com/Mo_lankylarry/status/359838798105960448/photo/1

The location is outside Blackburn Town Hall at 8:30pm.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After huge success last year, Muslims have once again organised "Iftar (breaking the fast) with the homeless".

This will be taking place on Saturday 27th July.

Many of us take for granted the food and shelter we have. Poverty is on the rise and many individuals are struggling in this horrendous economic climate. Those that are unaware, during the month of Ramadan, Muslims do not eat from sunrise to sunset.

If anyone is aware of any homeless people or any that are struggling, then please feel free to pass the message on.

https://twitter.com/Mo_lankylarry/status/359838798105960448/photo/1

The location is outside Blackburn Town Hall at 8:30pm.

Nice thought on the face of it but it's just religious symbolism. Like Christianity's Harvest Festival. Giving someone a meal is just a salve to appease the consciences of the religious.

Anyway it's pointless cos food is ridiculously cheap in this country. People can die from hundreds of things in the UK but starvation is simply not on the list.

Sounds like an excuse to break the fast. Why one day a year in Ramadan ? They will appreciate a bacon butty or a sausage roll .

We don't need an excuse to break our fasts. Do educate yourself before making such stupid comments. I'm sure homeless people would appreciate any sort of food, doesn't really have to be a sausage roll or bacon butty. I guess that's down to your sheer ignorance though.

Are homeless Christians welcome to this too?

Every homeless person is welcome.

1 day or not. It is a nice gesture that helps people.

You've also got 2.5 per cent of all income which is compulsory to be given to charity every year. That's the minimum and a lot give more.

• Backroom

1 day or not. It is a nice gesture that helps people.

Definitely

There seems to be no negatives to this and picking at it is churlish in the extreme

You've also got 2.5 per cent of all income which is compulsory to be given to charity every year. That's the minimum and a lot give more.

Am I being churlish to suggest that the world of Islam will readily accept charity from most sources but give willingly only to their own?

Seems to be what 'Zakah' infers here...... http://www.irfi.org/articles/articles_101_150/charity_in_islam.htm

"Zakah is the type of Muslim charity that is obligatory, as decreed by the Glorious Qur'an. This basic law is seen as a solution to poverty and suffering. The Muslim community is obliged to donate a certain portion of their yearly earnings in the name of Allah, so that the needy and the sick can have a brighter future."

Bit one sided I'd suggest given the amount of charity from here that ends up going to the followers of Islam the world over. We give food, medicines and aid and muslims build madrassa's and mosques. Or am I misreading this?

Not necessarily, anyone who is needy can be given the money but it is true that a large amount would probably go to Muslim charities, etc. I give to Cancer research and other non Muslim charities every year as well as Muslim charities

The Prophet (pbuh) said: The best of people are the ones who bring benefit to people. Note people not just Muslims!

Am I being churlish to suggest that the world of Islam will readily accept charity from most sources but give willingly only to their own?

Seems to be what 'Zakah' infers here...... http://www.irfi.org/articles/articles_101_150/charity_in_islam.htm

"Zakah is the type of Muslim charity that is obligatory, as decreed by the Glorious Qur'an. This basic law is seen as a solution to poverty and suffering. The Muslim community is obliged to donate a certain portion of their yearly earnings in the name of Allah, so that the needy and the sick can have a brighter future."

Bit one sided I'd suggest given the amount of charity from here that ends up going to the followers of Islam the world over. We give food, medicines and aid and muslims build madrassa's and mosques. Or am I misreading this?

Certain people qualify to receive Zakah. The money is then distributed across the globe to the needy and sick. The money is used to provide food, shelter and other everyday essentials.

In addition to Zakah, we have other types of charity you can give. This charity can be given specifically to build mosques and madrassah's. However, this is not compulsory on muslims.

1. How much Zakah do you think will end up going to non muslims BWR?

2. Cancer is a disease which affects all people of all religions. Cancer Relief is not just a Christian charity

3. Might not be compulsory but it madrassah's, mosques and other Islamic learning centres seem a pretty popular destination for muslim charity money in BwD.

1. How much Zakah do you think will end up going to non muslims BWR?

2. Cancer is a disease which affects all people of all religions. Cancer Relief is not just a Christian charity

3. Might not be compulsory but it madrassah's, mosques and other Islamic learning centres seem a pretty popular destination for muslim charity money in BwD.

Why are you so interested, are you thinking about doing some volunteer work to help out?

I am more educated on cricket than you are on Islam. I guess only a fool would make uneducated comments on a topic he admittedly knows nothing about.

I learnt enough about how charitable the muslims of Blackburn are back when the fuel strike was on. Garages with "Muslims Only " signs.

I learnt enough about how charitable the muslims of Blackburn are back when the fuel strike was on. Garages with "Muslims Only " signs.

So you judge all of the Muslims by the actions of a few?

Archived