BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Is it time to go back and support your team

Well now the transfer window is closed and Jordan Rhodes is still here, as promised and signs that we are moving in the right direction slowly but surely, is it time for all those who deserted the rovers to get back on board, the season ticket offer is still very good and the more support we have surely would help the team, lets be their 12th man.

Thoughts or reason's why not???

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Each to their own. The Venky's have done their best to ruin everything the club stands for and back to back wins in the Championship does not alter that in anyway. Yes the signs are more positive, but let's be honest how could they be any more stupid than they have shown to date? Law of averages suggests they were bound to do something remotely sensible one day.

Those immediately worried about SA's sacking, the recruitment of Kean, top players sold, inferior quality bought and certain relegation were proven right all along as we wiped millions off our turnover and fell a division. Those taking that view explained this would have a hugely damagaing impact on the club, its finances and especially its support base and that it would take years to recover.

Those that boycotted due to managerial stupidity and events under Kean were perfectly justified in so doing and I respect thier decision fully. I just could not do it myself. Expecting things to happily return to pre-Venky's days is simply pie in the sky. Alienate and disrespect your customers and you will struggle to EVER get them back.

Way to go Venky's. Business masterclass.

• Backroom

I've seen some folk saying its time to give the owners some slack

Whilst I'm not sure I'd go that far I'm quite content in pretending they don't exist whilst at games etc

I've seen some folk saying its time to give the owners some slack

Whilst I'm not sure I'd go that far I'm quite content in pretending they don't exist whilst at games etc

I'd be inclined to agree Tom. Many, me included thought they'd say 'stuff this for a game of soldiers' and jumped ship but they haven't.

Although the issues have generally been brought upon themselves for a variety of reasons of which we're all too familiar, they've stuck at it and would appear to be learning, in fairness I think that's to their credit.

That said, it will take quite some time before we can all relax and not worry what may be round the next corner.

In answer to the OP, I think yes, if you support the Rovers get your arses back to Ewood.

• Backroom

As long as Venky's stay invisible and let Bowyer and his team run things on the pitch I think people will start to drift back, especially if we pick up a head of steam and have a genuine chance of the playoffs (I consider this highly unlikely, but just as a general scenario).

I don't think we'll ever get back to the pre-Venky's level of support - a lot of the damage they've caused is permanent. There's still some hope for a decent home support though, providing Venky's don't do something stupid to provoke another backlash.

I don't think we'll ever get back to the pre-Venky's level of support - a lot of the damage they've caused is permanent. There's still some hope for a decent home support though, providing Venky's don't do something stupid to provoke another backlash.

The key thing is halting the loss of younger fans who are donning United, City and even Liverpool shirts, and keeping them interested in their local team.

• Backroom

The key thing is halting the loss of younger fans who are donning United, City and even Liverpool shirts, and keeping them interested in their local team.

That's a huge challenge, particularly with the amount of attention given to the big clubs. It'll be up to the parents to instill that into the kids I guess. It's not like the ticket prices can be used as an excuse not to take the kids to the game - one of the very few things Venky's have gotten right.

That's a huge challenge, particularly with the amount of attention given to the big clubs. It'll be up to the parents to instill that into the kids I guess. It's not like the ticket prices can be used as an excuse not to take the kids to the game - one of the very few things Venky's have gotten right.

You're dead right DE, it's a heritage, tribal issue in a way.

My grandad took my dad from an early age, my dad me and me my 2 lads and I'm sure that will continue. Unfortunately in Blackburn, with so many other clubs on the doorstep and a declining population, I think we would always struggle to top a home support of more than 24/25,000. In fact, I think in the heady days of the mid nineties, we only ever sold out 3 times: Utd, Newcastle and Liverpool, which tells its own tale.

I agree it's a tough ask.

If you thing of support like a dartboard, with the bullseye over Ewood Park (and the green ring as Blackburn), the more success you have, the more outer rings you fill with supporters. It's a natural thing because non-Blackburn-based supporters only know of us through the media. More, and wider, media coverage widens the net and increases the chance of someone taking an interest. (I love the thread that CaliRover has started about the Bournemouth game but it's more and more difficult to have that kind of connection now).

I'm sure the outer part of our dartboard has lost most of it's doubles and is shrinking towards the trebles. Only a return to the PL is likely to reverse that.

But if we can at least fill up the middle rings as much as possible by instilling a bit of local pride in the young 'uns then it gives us a good platform

But as DE rightly points out, that's down to parents. My message to them would be: Kids are free in the family stand. Go and bond with your kids and teach them a bit about football. Once they have been once they are usually hooked!

• Backroom

I can say for certain that when I eventually have kids (not planning to yet!) I'll be getting them hooked on Rovers. The scrapbooks will be out, youtube videos of 1995 will be shown, the histories of Clayton, Douglas, Garner, Shearer and many others will be told... and I'll get them to Ewood as much as I can. My kids are growing up Rovers supporters, no matter where we are or who the owners are.

Venkys haven't apologised, they haven't funded any transfers this summer, they haven't shown ambition in getting a proven manager, and they're stripping the wage bill.

They've gone from calamitous meddlers to hard-nosed businessmen who don't want us costing them any money. Basically they're not going to restore Rovers to where we were but they'll (probably) stop making us worse. Some may see that as reason to forgive and forget but I suspect quite a few don't.

Basically they're not going to restore Rovers to where we were but they'll (probably) stop making us worse. Some may see that as reason to forgive and forget but I suspect quite a few don't.

Never Forgive Venkys

But Never Forget, it's still our club.

That second bit has been the hardest thing this past three years. Can't believe it's been that long!

Venkys haven't apologised, they haven't funded any transfers this summer, they haven't shown ambition in getting a proven manager, and they're stripping the wage bill.

They've gone from calamitous meddlers to hard-nosed businessmen who don't want us costing them any money. Basically they're not going to restore Rovers to where we were but they'll (probably) stop making us worse. Some may see that as reason to forgive and forget but I suspect quite a few don't.

I don't think it is about forgiving - and definitely not about forgetting - but realistically we all want Rovers to be successful no matter who the owners are. One way of helping with that is to add the "mythical" 12th man by attending matches - alternatively you could come on the message board and moan about how our attendances are dropping and we will never get back in the Premiership because of our mis-advised owners !

P.S. Would hard-nosed business men would have sold Rhodes !

But Never Forget, it's still our club.

Yeah I do think that's starting to become a valid counter-argument now. While Venkys were wrecking all aspects of the club like a demented child with a toy, I didn't feel like it was our club. But as they now appear to be reverting to a hands-off, tight-fisted business-only involvement it does allow the fans to feel like football matters belong to the manager, the team and the supporters.

Boycotting games should also mean boycotting the club as well. I don`t understand why those that refuse to go too games or spend money on merchandise etc, still come on forums like this. Staying away should surely mean staying away. Those that think their relationship with the club is beyond repair, should perhaps follow another sport or another club, It`s great to come on here and see a bit of positivity or dare I say, optimism again. Supporters are what this club needs now, more than anything else.

Boycotting games should also mean boycotting the club as well. I don`t understand why those that refuse to go too games or spend money on merchandise etc, still come on forums like this. Staying away should surely mean staying away. Those that think their relationship with the club is beyond repair, should perhaps follow another sport or another club, It`s great to come on here and see a bit of positivity or dare I say, optimism again. Supporters are what this club needs now, more than anything else.

A lot of truth right there.

Archived