BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Is it time to go back and support your team

Fans not attending because they think the club is heading for financial problems could be a self fulfilling prophecy. Without fans through the gate the club can't survive.

With the high earners the club have got rid of this summer I think there is an effort to get towards financial stability, but I agree there has been a lot of damage done and it will take time to put right.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just about 2 wins, the Agnew references are ludicrous IMO, it won't be about 2 defeats either. It's about a general feel about the place and a team and manager that genuinely care about the club and not just their arse pocket.

Unfortunately (or fortunately dependant on your perspective) our owners would appear to be going nowhere. All the concerns of the club being riddled with debt and beholden to The Bank of India can't be much of a concern; how would an Indian bank foreclose on UK based securities? Inevitably the club is indebted to some tune somehow but I would think Venkys must that have provided the security, more reason for them to get things right.

It's known to all that the administratiion and board needs sorting but that's not a justifiable reason for non-attendance. You could never forget the chaos and demise of the club ultimately Rao induced but no doubt ably abetted by others of a parasitic and unscrupulous nature.

I suggest if anyone is not now tempted to go back to Ewood to support the team, the likelihood is you never were.

Derek Dougan and 1960 Cup Final tickets syndrome repeated.

COYB.

It's not just about 2 wins, the Agnew references are ludicrous IMO, it won't be about 2 defeats either. It's about a general feel about the place and a team and manager that genuinely care about the club and not just their arse pocket.

Unfortunately (or fortunately dependant on your perspective) our owners would appear to be going nowhere. All the concerns of the club being riddled with debt and beholden to The Bank of India can't be much of a concern; how would an Indian bank foreclose on UK based securities? Inevitably the club is indebted to some tune somehow but I would think Venkys must that have provided the security, more reason for them to get things right.

It's known to all that the administratiion and board needs sorting but that's not a justifiable reason for non-attendance. You could never forget the chaos and demise of the club ultimately Rao induced but no doubt ably abetted by others of a parasitic and unscrupulous nature.

I suggest if anyone is not now tempted to go back to Ewood to support the team, the likelihood is you never were.

COYB.

Yes, I grew up with bitter old men who were never going again. How I used to try and reason with them that it was nowt to do with Roger Jones, Tony Field et al.

I never really understood those feelings until that Wigan game, when I made the same decision myself.I didn't actually stick to my guns. I think the level of hurt is probably worse, this time, after seeing our ever so hard won Premiership status trashed and p***ed away- at best. At worst, it was actually cashed in for percentages on transfers etc..

Anyway, I do feel the sense of optimism and I thought Saturday was bloody fantastic. Bowyer is someone I do believe in etc I dearly want him to succeed.

But I am not ready to get a season ticket- even if it does cost me more in the long run. It will take me a while longer to make that leap. Yes, what I once did spontaneously for nearly 40 years has now become a leap...

I would have been more convinced if this thread had been raised after two defeats DMTP. As you say, results on the field have/are changeing attitudes towards the club and owners, you only have to read the posts on here to appreciate that. To my mind we're still being run by people who should be nowhere near Ewood Park. I'm not convinced that the club isn't heading for serious financial problems and I'm not convinced that the whole thing won't go tits up at any time. I'm not criticising anyone for going down to Ewood, but the truth is here to be seen. The club is still in grave danger as long as these owners hang around.This topic title is basically asking fans to put all that to one side because the team has won two games on the trot and looks like they might win a few more before the end of the season. Basically, Agnew was right. People won't like that, but it's true.

Obviously you didn't read my reply the other day to such a question you are posing, i did not raise this post because of two wins at all, read my initial post and my reply, unless of course you have your own agenda.

COYB.

Well said fellow Darrener

Obviously you didn't read my reply the other day to such a question you are posing, i did not raise this post because of two wins at all,

It's quite obvious that some fans who said they wouldn't go back to watching rovers until Venky's changed their ways, are doing just that. The argument that they're going back because Venky's "have changed their ways", is just a cover up for them going back because of other factors, one of which is the team winning again.

I'm not criticising them, just pointing out that Agnew said this would happen - and it has, - with "some" fans. Of course they will get upset when that's said, but in some cases, it's the truth.

It would be interesting to know what possible agenda I could have here.

Well said fellow Darrener

Getting confused, is this thread about persuading absent fans to come back, or about deciding the absent fans won't come back regardless?

I understand people's frustration with the low attendances but I don't really agree with criticising certain fans for their lack of commitment. Because at the end of the day there's always a section of our support who are more or less committed than the one you or I belong to. For example (all approximate numbers):

1. Jack Walker - 1

2. ST holders who go to evert cup and away game - 100

3. ST holders who go to some cup and away - 4,000

4. ST holders (home games only) - 8,000

5. ST holders pre-Venkys/PL who go to some home now - 6,000

6. Fans who have always gone to some home - 2,000

7. Fans who go once every blue moon - 5,000

8. Fans who've never been to a game - 10,000

Whichever number we fit into there's always someone above who can say criticise our commitment to Rovers. So in my opinion there's no point in criticising any of these groups and just accepting that they all add their own benefits to Rovers as a club. Without 6 and 7 in the list we wouldn't have taken 30,000 to Cardiff or filled our ground 20-30 times. Without 8 on the list we wouldn't have as much merchandise/sponsorship revenue.

We still need the boycotters and it would be great if they came back. But the reason they're not going is Venkys, so in my opinion Venkys are the ones who have to do the persuading. Although I do agree that they've at least made a start.

Well after all I said I have just been down and bought 3 season tickets. Call it my vote of confidence to Bowyer and the team!

Last year, even if I didn't go, I still had to listen and kick every ball, so I was cutting off my nose etc.But I needed to bolster the illusion that I wasn't totally powerless in the face of Kean, Anderson ,Agnew and Venkunts...God, they even sound like a firm of bent solicitors

BLACKBURN ROVERS IS MY CLUB!!

It's quite obvious that some fans who said they wouldn't go back to watching rovers until Venky's changed their ways, are doing just that. The argument that they're going back because Venky's "have changed their ways", is just a cover up for them going back because of other factors, one of which is the team winning again.

I'm not criticising them, just pointing out that Agnew said this would happen - and it has, - with "some" fans. Of course they will get upset when that's said, but in some cases, it's the truth.

It would be interesting to know what possible agenda I could have here.

Alternatively those that said they wouldn't go back to watch Rovers did that just because we got relegated - and use the Venky's as a convenient excuse !

Leonard, you have inspired me to reattach my nose to my face and I've just been down and got a season ticket. I can confirm there was no queue at all in the Ticket Office at 5:30pm... I'm not actually anticipating my £56 Premier League 2014/15 season ticket though. Thinking about the worst that can happen this season, if Venkys start spouting Kean and Shebbying about again and everything goes even more pear-shaped than it already has, I'll want to be there, providing a little bit of advice to whoever from the Riverside!

PS For various reasons I've not seen Rovers at all this season, not even on TV, so it's not on the back of our glorious 2-home-wins-on-the-bounce that I'm returning... still heartily proud of my boycott last season, painful as it was at times, as I think it helped indirectly to see off Kean. Had 28 season tickets in all 4 sides of Ewood Park over 29 years, hope I will actually remain glad to be back!

Same here. I am still proud of my season ticket plus 10 match boycott last year.

I know was very vocal about not giving blood to a family of vampires etc, so I thought it only right that I should declare that I was returning to the church. A lot of contributors on this MB have nudged me in this direction..

I don't feel like the beaten miners returning either. I just felt I wanted to do it today as a kind of reclaiming exercise and I wanted to give a vote of confidence to the changes I have seen.. My kids are delighted too.

I 'd buy you a celebratory pint. if I knew who you were!

Well after all I said I have just been down and bought 3 season tickets. Call it my vote of confidence to Bowyer and the team!

Last year, even if I didn't go, I still had to listen and kick every ball, so I was cutting off my nose etc.But I needed to bolster the illusion that I wasn't totally powerless in the face of Kean, Anderson ,Agnew and Venkunts...God, they even sound like a firm of bent solicitors

BLACKBURN ROVERS IS MY CLUB!!

Glad you saw the light LV, it's my club too. I did likewise 3 weeks ago. Cutting your nose to spite your face does no bugger any good.

Getting confused, is this thread about persuading absent fans to come back, or about deciding the absent fans won't come back regardless?

I understand people's frustration with the low attendances but I don't really agree with criticising certain fans for their lack of commitment. Because at the end of the day there's always a section of our support who are more or less committed than the one you or I belong to. For example (all approximate numbers):

1. Jack Walker - 1

2. ST holders who go to evert cup and away game - 100

3. ST holders who go to some cup and away - 4,000

4. ST holders (home games only) - 8,000

5. ST holders pre-Venkys/PL who go to some home now - 6,000

6. Fans who have always gone to some home - 2,000

7. Fans who go once every blue moon - 5,000

8. Fans who've never been to a game - 10,000

Whichever number we fit into there's always someone above who can say criticise our commitment to Rovers. So in my opinion there's no point in criticising any of these groups and just accepting that they all add their own benefits to Rovers as a club. Without 6 and 7 in the list we wouldn't have taken 30,000 to Cardiff or filled our ground 20-30 times. Without 8 on the list we wouldn't have as much merchandise/sponsorship revenue.

We still need the boycotters and it would be great if they came back. But the reason they're not going is Venkys, so in my opinion Venkys are the ones who have to do the persuading. Although I do agree that they've at least made a start.

I respect your opinion SKH but don't agree. IMO the vast majority of current 'boycotters' were never going to go back on a regular basis. Its just an excuse. What is their motive these days? Genuine question by the way because if its just Venkys, it's absolutely bonkers.

Another minor point but pertinent nonetheless, by my recollection we have only filled Ewood 3 times since it was rebuilt, I'd be interested to know why you think it's 20 to 30 times.

I respect your opinion SKH but don't agree. IMO the vast majority of current 'boycotters' were never going to go back on a regular basis. Its just an excuse. What is their motive these days? Genuine question by the way because if its just Venkys, it's absolutely bonkers.

"Because if it's just Venky's, it's absolutely bonkers".

Says everything. Agnew was right.

If people want an excuse not to go its right there. The owners. However, since Agnew has gone we seem to have been run quite well.

Some people (not posters on here I hasten to add - you still post, still care) were waiting for their FA Cup '60 moment as an excuse to pack it all in. It's become almost fashionable to say "I'm not giving them my money". Instead some will pay game by game - nigh on double - rather than buy a ST. Work that one out?!

If these idiots who own us needed our money would they really be paying 40 staff to run the Academy at the highest level? Would they have paid off the players who weren't in GBs plans? Would they be subsidising Orr's and Goodwillies and several others loan payments? Would they have brought in 11 new players - all of whom appear to be the managers choice and of the same ilk?

I still can't understand why Shelfbloke is still around. But on the madness scale were at a mere 5 out of ten - having been at 12 out of 10 for the last 3 years.

Of course get beat a week tomorrow and they can all rot in hell. Win and I'll buy another season ticket. Just in case I clone myself. It's a fine line this love and hate lark.

Good to hear that. Maybe we are finally taking our Rovers back or something...I didn't want to pass on the bitterness to my kids like the

1960 brigade. I do understand how they must have felt, however.

Anyway, for me it wasn't the relegation but a lot about how it came about.

I am sure there is research that when fans stop going and break the habit, they generally don't return...so that tells you something about the long term damage caused by Kean, Anderson, Agnew et al.

I saw a phrase somewhere above that irked me somewhat.."Agnew was right"..

Well Mr Agnew was no mean contributor for my own disenchantment.

Like the reverse of Fu Manchu..." I never want to hear from him again!"

If these idiots who own us needed our money would they really be paying 40 staff to run the Academy at the highest level? Would they have paid off the players who weren't in GBs plans? Would they be subsidising Orr's and Goodwillies and several others loan payments? Would they have brought in 11 new players - all of whom appear to be the managers choice and of the same ilk?

Good stuff Bob. Maybe they had to find out the hard way that it is expensive and very dumb to indulge your private fantasies in this line of business? I'm not sure how competent the layer of management between Pune and GB is but it seems as if Bowyer is being backed with minimal interference so far. Somebody must be pulling the strings to ensure that the finance is delivered for all the good things you mention. It's a pity that no one told them that JW and his team were the best in the business at this stuff.

"Because if it's just Venky's, it's absolutely bonkers".

Says everything. Agnew was right.

" Because it`s Venkys, it`s absolutely bonkers" says it perfectly Den, staying away does not affect them at all, it is however, hurting the club. The change in atmosphere was evident before we won our first game, it was clear to see in the team, the supporters and the management before the season started. I guess it really boils down to whether people follow Blackburn Rovers for the drama or the football, those staying away don`t seem to be bothered with the football and that "says everything" to me.

Things I really hate/hated about rovers:

1 venkys

2 kean

3 Agnew

4 shabby

5 Anderson

6 Orr

7 murphy/his big mouth wife

General negatives

-A joke club allowing the media to make constant digs. With venkys still are really only difference is media don't care now not in prem.

-String of poor managers

-Poor players who didn't care

-Day to day running of club. Shaw's proven incompetence at 2 clubs.

-Club treated fans with contempt

-Financial health anyone's guess

Current positives

-Rhodes

-players who seem to care more

-Clubs proud history pre venkys will never change.

So from my point of view my most hated things about rovers 2-7 are now gone. Fair dos the biggest and worst problem remains but if this time last year if had said 2-7 weren't there (even if scars of some of their impact remain) I wouldn't have believed it but definitely taken it.

That in itself is worth being slightly more positive. 6 down 1 to go.

If people want an excuse not to go its right there. The owners. However, since Agnew has gone we seem to have been run quite well.

Some people (not posters on here I hasten to add - you still post, still care) were waiting for their FA Cup '60 moment as an excuse to pack it all in. It's become almost fashionable to say "I'm not giving them my money". Instead some will pay game by game - nigh on double - rather than buy a ST. Work that one out?!

I still can't understand why Shelfbloke is still around. But on the madness scale were at a mere 5 out of ten - having been at 12 out of 10 for the last 3 years.

Of course get beat a week tomorrow and they can all rot in hell. Win and I'll buy another season ticket. Just in case I clone myself. It's a fine line this love and hate lark.

Really good post Bob, and Den I can see your point of view as well, at the end of the day it's your decision, i hope you come back.

That is infuriating. No one is stopping supporting Rovers because of relegation or lack of success. The anger is at Venkys. I don't give the slightest if we win the Champions League with these people. They must be removed no matter what, if we are going up or down, right or wrong - support for Rovers can't only be aimed at whats going on on the field, you have to think of what's best for the club as a whole. And it doesn't get more critical than the owners.

That is infuriating. No one is stopping supporting Rovers because of relegation or lack of success.

No-one? You really think that circa £10-12k Rovers fans are ALL staying away in protest at Venkys? I find that hard to believe somehow.

Archived