BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Is it time to go back and support your team

I don't think it is about forgiving - and definitely not about forgetting - but realistically we all want Rovers to be successful no matter who the owners are. One way of helping with that is to add the "mythical" 12th man by attending matches - alternatively you could come on the message board and moan about how our attendances are dropping and we will never get back in the Premiership because of our mis-advised owners !

P.S. Would hard-nosed business men would have sold Rhodes !

Not now no but when he hopefully scores another bagful of goals this season for us, which helps our cause, his stock will undoubtedly significantly increase.

The hard nosed business question then is do you cash your stock in and take your profit or is it likely to appreciate further in value?

Personally, I'd weigh it in.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boycotting games should also mean boycotting the club as well. I don`t understand why those that refuse to go too games or spend money on merchandise etc, still come on forums like this. Staying away should surely mean staying away. Those that think their relationship with the club is beyond repair, should perhaps follow another sport or another club, It`s great to come on here and see a bit of positivity or dare I say, optimism again. Supporters are what this club needs now, more than anything else.

100% agree, to many "fans" revel in the misery of the last 3 years, I'm starting to feel optimistic again and not just because of the last 2 games but they have helped, like the poster says, if your staying away, stay away!

As much as I would like to see the ground 2/3 full every other week, I'm afraid that it is not going to happen any time soon.

Many fans have been used to Premier League football for too long and, regardless of Venkys, do not want to watch football in the Championship. They want to be able to watch us play the top clubs (even if we lose to them).

Personally I think we have actually found our level again, the old Division 2, somewhere we can actually compete on equal terms with similar sized clubs. That is no disgrace, the Championship is far better quality than when we were last in the old Division 2.

Maybe we will get back into the Prem, maybe not, but as long as we have a team that plays with Arte et Labore then that should be good enough.

I might get stick for this as I now live overseas. However, I'm a lifelong Rovers supporter who has served his penance with many a season ticket and, in my opinion, for every stay away who who is taking a principled stand against Venkys there are another three stay aways who don't go any more because they are shallow, vacuous individuals with no sense of loyalty.

They'll be back to gawp at the tabloid superstars if we get promoted.

Venkys haven't apologised, they haven't funded any transfers this summer, they haven't shown ambition in getting a proven manager, and they're stripping the wage bill.

They've gone from calamitous meddlers to hard-nosed businessmen who don't want us costing them any money. Basically they're not going to restore Rovers to where we were but they'll (probably) stop making us worse. Some may see that as reason to forgive and forget but I suspect quite a few don't.

Well to give them some credit they (Venkys) have it appears let Bowyer get in who he wants and helped pay off the ones he dosent, that money must have come from somewhere, and even if most signings have been free there would be some kind of outlay.

I think we are all agreed that in the dark days of Kean and Anderson it was possible/probable that Kentaro ran the show, and only when it went pear shaped i.e. relegation and the realisation Kean was in fact Kean and they had done the damage took out what money they could did they leave for Venkys to pick up the pieces, of course only my opinion :glare: .

To sum up I am not defending the venkys but they seem to be trying, i guess only time will tell, the next 4 games we have three away if we come through unbeaten i hope the stay aways come back.

Agnew said " a couple of wins and they would be back".

While everyone criticised him for those comments amid the absolute demolition of our club, he was right. Proven by this thread after - guess what - a couple of wins. The proof is right here.

Agnew said " a couple of wins and they would be back".

While everyone criticised him for those comments amid the absolute demolition of our club, he was right. Proven by this thread after - guess what - a couple of wins. The proof is right here.

Unfortunately Den, When Agnew made those comments he was proved wrong..

Proof

22/8/12 V Ipswich H won 1-0 attendance 13,562

25/8/12 V Leicester H Won 2-1 , Attendance 13,959

Next home game after the third win of the season away at Bristol

18/9/12 V Barnsley Attendance 12,722

The reason why later attendances reached and in some cases surpassed the first two game levels were because his golden goose and associated spivs exited the limelight.

Still credit where credit is due , his two part attempt this season at getting the crowds back was brilliant, the prem season ticket offer followed by getting sacked - masterstroke

The problem is from people I know who boycotted originally because of kean is in years gone by everything socially was done round the fixture list now as they've got used to doing other things football just doesn't get a look in. So while they're not boycotting per se just have no room for rovers and don't actually want to go or dare I say care as much as used to.

If cant separate venkys the owners from the club then people will never return either.

Poor attendance forever more because fans feel theyve been driven away will be the longest lasting impact of the venkys reign.

Unfortunately Den, When Agnew made those comments he was proved wrong..

Proof

22/8/12 V Ipswich H won 1-0 attendance 13,562

25/8/12 V Leicester H Won 2-1 , Attendance 13,959

Next home game after the third win of the season away at Bristol

18/9/12 V Barnsley Attendance 12,722

The reason why later attendances reached and in some cases surpassed the first two game levels were because his golden goose and associated spivs exited the limelight.

Still credit where credit is due , his two part attempt this season at getting the crowds back was brilliant, the prem season ticket offer followed by getting sacked - masterstroke

Agnews's point was that fans would be very forgiving, providing results improved. The only reason this thread has been posted is because results have improved. Nothing else has. Results aside, Venky's are still Venky's and should be nowhere near to this club.

Hang on, people who are not attending because they feel its the best move for the good of the club they love, (given the proven decimation of the club by the owners) and in many cases these fans have put a lot of time, money and effort in supporting over decades, shouldn't be able to post on this message-board?

Some people honestly baffle me.

Its only 2 games since the defeat at Doncaster, and I can only imagine the mood on here if god-forbid t'yorkshire hill trolls beat us.

People are allowed an opinion, whether you agree or not.

Agnews's point was that fans would be very forgiving, providing results improved. The only reason this thread has been posted is because results have improved. Nothing else has. Results aside, Venky's are still Venky's and should be nowhere near to this club.

No Kean , no Anderson, No Agnew , nothing else has changed or improved since his statement? So if the three amigos were still here everything would be ok after a couple of wins?

Agnew's point was made for Venky's ears to protect himself and associates

I suppose it's all about what people want.

Lots of people have written about how well the team played in the last home game and how promising things are looking.

Rhodes is still with us. So there are positive reasons for people to return.

On the other hand, I believe this is the last season we are likely to be able to be promoted because of the higher level of parachute payments. I don't know if the Venky's will be aware of the last year's financial results yet, or how they will react to them either in January or at the end of the season.

So if people are to return,I would suggest you expect there will be many challenges to go alongside the good times.

I suppose it's all about what people want.

Lots of people have written about how well the team played in the last home game and how promising things are looking.

Rhodes is still with us. So there are positive reasons for people to return.

On the other hand, I believe this is the last season we are likely to be able to be promoted because of the higher level of parachute payments. I don't know if the Venky's will be aware of the last year's financial results yet, or how they will react to them either in January or at the end of the season.

So if people are to return,I would suggest you expect there will be many challenges to go alongside the good times.

Good points. There are a lot of things that we need clarity on. John Leigh has asked some very pertinent questions in the FF thread.

After this season Venkys will have to subsidise the drop in parachute payments whilst simultaneously (legally) circumventing FFP rules, (Assuming they survive ongoing legal challenges, and also assuming the next two years parachute payments haven't already been mortgaged). All under the backdrop of a dwindling fanbase paying less than virtually every other club in the league.

Venkys got us into this mess, it's down to them and karma to get us out of it.

But if they don't, 'challenges' won't quite cover it!

We're not going to get the missing thousands back that's for sure but if you look at the Palace game end of last season, cheap tickets and 18k+ home fans on. They obviously aren't boycotting permanently because of Venkys or they wouldn't have come at all surely ? If we could get a couple more thousand on each home game, say 14k Rovers then that would be a decent effort after all that's gone on. After all it's still around 10% of the boroughs population and that will stand up against any club i would think.

I agree with every single part of this post.

I might get stick for this as I now live overseas. However, I'm a lifelong Rovers supporter who has served his penance with many a season ticket and, in my opinion, for every stay away who who is taking a principled stand against Venkys there are another three stay aways who don't go any more because they are shallow, vacuous individuals with no sense of loyalty.

They'll be back to gawp at the tabloid superstars if we get promoted.

Its only 2 games since the defeat at Doncaster, and I can only imagine the mood on here if god-forbid t'yorkshire hill trolls beat us.

People are allowed an opinion, whether you agree or not.

I'm struggling a bit with the boundaries of English counties, but isn't Burnley in traditional Lancashire? I thought York was on the northeastern half of the island.

As to opinions, I fully supported the boycott. I think they were the right thing at the time. But Venkys are improving. Bowyer is being sensible and the squad is trying. All that being true (in my opinion), then its time to get back and cheer on the squad (which is easy for me to say as I'm 5,000 miles away). Win or lose.

I'm struggling a bit with the boundaries of English counties, but isn't Burnley in traditional Lancashire? I thought York was on the northeastern half of the island.

[

It's a joke, Steve, a bit like trying to push Montana into Canada to de-classify them as Americans and disassociate them from you. (With the greatest of respect to people from Montana!)

Fear not though, jokes - especially those aimed at Burnley fans in the weeks running up to derby games - will soon be banned from this forum if some posters have their way. :rolleyes:

It's a joke, Steve, a bit like trying to push Montana into Canada to de-classify them as Americans and disassociate them from you. (With the greatest of respect to people from Montana!)

Fear not though, jokes - especially those aimed at Burnley fans in the weeks running up to derby games - will soon be banned from this forum if some posters have their way. :rolleyes:

Got it. Sorry.

And I would never try to push Montana into Canada. Instead, I have two alternative proposals:

1. The USA takes over Canada and turns it into states nos. 51-60.

2. The USA does not take over Canada but we make them take over CA and MA.

Until the government messed with county boundaries big scale in the early 70 s, steve, Yorkshire started a couple of hundred yards from where I live here in clitheroe. Yorkshire is huge by English County standards and comes from the east coast almost to the west. Burnley is right on the border. The huge inter county rivalry means that Blackburn consider Yorkshireman to be inferior and therefore to refer to burnley fans as Yorkshiremen is to label them as inferior rivals. Now we Yorkshire folk don't need to do that to be sure of our superiority. Perhaps this is why I'm prepared to let my daughter marry a burnley fan - I know he's almost from Yorkshire!

You are wrong, i did not start this thread because results have improved, i started this thread because i see an overall improvement at the club, committed players, a manager who cares and knows how to run this club, Agnew gone, and the shambles of the last two years being rectified albeit slowly. Nothing to do with the last two matches, I am asking if fans can see what has transpired over the last 3/4 months and come back to support the team. As for venky's i think i have made my thoughts clear on their ownership.

improved results are surely the icing on the cake of a steady improvement in the way the club feels. We all know we are just one bad decision from a monumental disaster still, but it would appear (and, yes, with Venkys, you never know) that football decisions seem to be being made by the management team and not by agents or whoever was making them for their own benefit in the past. We are probably stuck with our owners so if the situation isn't going to change perhaps it's a good idea to encourage the green shoots of revival, show them the fans are not just here to be negative, but that when we can see things going in the right direction for a change, we are prepared to support that

Well now the transfer window is closed and Jordan Rhodes is still here, as promised and signs that we are moving in the right direction slowly but surely, is it time for all those who deserted the rovers to get back on board, the season ticket offer is still very good and the more support we have surely would help the team, lets be their 12th man.

Thoughts or reason's why not???

You can't force fans through the door and for many i can't ever see them coming back. Venky's have and still are killing this club and until they leave and a big investor comes in then i'm sure things aren't ever going to change.

Also, 2 great performances doesn't mean that the good times are back. :)

Archived