BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Is it time to go back and support your team

Until the government messed with county boundaries big scale in the early 70 s, steve, Yorkshire started a couple of hundred yards from where I live here in clitheroe. Yorkshire is huge by English County standards and comes from the east coast almost to the west. Burnley is right on the border. The huge inter county rivalry means that Blackburn consider Yorkshireman to be inferior and therefore to refer to burnley fans as Yorkshiremen is to label them as inferior rivals. Now we Yorkshire folk don't need to do that to be sure of our superiority. Perhaps this is why I'm prepared to let my daughter marry a burnley fan - I know he's almost from Yorkshire!

Lancashire won the war of the roses

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not believe any of us have stopped supporting the club, boycotters or non-boycotters. I also do not believe any of us support the owners. Venkys are like a time-bomb slowly ticking away, where we do not know when the explosion is going to happen. We just know that one day it will hapen.

Things at the club do appear to be getting better. We have had a decent transfer window, results have improved, attendances are increasing. Yet at the back of our minds we are just waiting and expecting this time-bomb to go off.

Venkys, by their stupidity and countless mistakes, have installed in most of us, this lack of trust in them. They do not deserve any trust from Rovers supporters. Even if Rovers were top of the prem, in the champs league etc etc - we would still have this fear that they will do something stupid again. None of us will relax until this time-bomb is removed from the club.

But this in itself poses another problem. Can we trust venkys to sell to the right people - again the answer is no. Which would put us back in the same situation of the past few years.

All we can do at the moment is hope that venkys have learnt the lessons they need to learn from their countless mstakes and for supporters to continue to support the club.

But I think we are stuck with these untrustworthy owners.

Until the government messed with county boundaries big scale in the early 70 s, steve, Yorkshire started a couple of hundred yards from where I live here in clitheroe. Yorkshire is huge by English County standards and comes from the east coast almost to the west. Burnley is right on the border. The huge inter county rivalry means that Blackburn consider Yorkshireman to be inferior and therefore to refer to burnley fans as Yorkshiremen is to label them as inferior rivals. Now we Yorkshire folk don't need to do that to be sure of our superiority. Perhaps this is why I'm prepared to let my daughter marry a burnley fan - I know he's almost from Yorkshire!

Funny you should mention that as my mum and dad live in chaigley near clitheroe and just the other day they were horrified to find how close to Yorkshire they were under "original" boundaries.

Another govt waste of money, think technically lancashire lost every town and city in the greater manchester and Merseyside region but gained grindleton. Fair swap.

Also I think under that or equal govt nonsense blackburn is a unitary authority so when ever leave town see those ridiculous road signs that say welcome to lancashire. Another petty waste of tax payers money.

I don't think any of those who attend matches are doing so to say that they think Venky's have, on the whole, been a good thing for Rovers. We were mid-table Premiership when they bought us and it is impossible to forget that their poor decisions contributed to our decline. But recent decisions - appointing Bowyer, giving him power over transfers, shutting up Shebby etc have indicated that they may be learning, or at least acting on better advice.

I have bought a season ticket because I think the team, the manager, and the club need supporters to support - both financially and cheering on the team. Also because the last 2 matches have been great fun and I would say that anyone who loves Rovers and stayed away from them due to a grievance about Venkys has lost out.

For those wanting Venky's gone I would say that if there was another rich owner waiting in the wings to support us then I may agree, but we were for sale for such a long time when we were a Premiership club so I doubt Venky's are having to fend off too many better potential owners.

To keep having the likes of Rhodes playing for us we need to get promoted (soon,) and the best way we can support that is by attending matches and cheering the team on. They are a young bunch and the morale boost could make a real difference.

I don't think any of those who attend matches are doing so to say that they think Venky's have, on the whole, been a good thing for Rovers. We were mid-table Premiership when they bought us and it is impossible to forget that their poor decisions contributed to our decline. But recent decisions - appointing Bowyer, giving him power over transfers, shutting up Shebby etc have indicated that they may be learning, or at least acting on better advice.

I have bought a season ticket because I think the team, the manager, and the club need supporters to support - both financially and cheering on the team. Also because the last 2 matches have been great fun and I would say that anyone who loves Rovers and stayed away from them due to a grievance about Venkys has lost out.

For those wanting Venky's gone I would say that if there was another rich owner waiting in the wings to support us then I may agree, but we were for sale for such a long time when we were a Premiership club so I doubt Venky's are having to fend off too many better potential owners.

To keep having the likes of Rhodes playing for us we need to get promoted (soon,) and the best way we can support that is by attending matches and cheering the team on. They are a young bunch and the morale boost could make a real difference.

I think that is the dilemma for a number of Rovers followers, how to support the team without supporting the Raos

I think that is the dilemma for a number of Rovers followers, how to support the team without supporting the Raos

agreed, why would anyone want to line the pockets of these idiots when they show absolutely no respect us?

When was the last time they actually came to Ewood to watch a game?

I was about to write on this thread but this post has said it all for me - it's almost word for word what I was going to say . Things are definitely on the up !

Exactly, none of the supporters who turn up on a Saturday have forgiven Venky's and I doubt some of them ever will but that doesn't mean they don't show up and watch the club they love still, especially as things start looking up.

The past three years were unbearable at times but despite that, with Bowyer now at the helm and the way the team is structured I finally feel positive for the first time since the nightmare began. If now isn't the time to support the squad then when is?

If (and it's a big if) Rovers were to get promoted this season I wonder how many of the boycotting brigade would stay loyal to this pledge with Premier league potential?

agreed, why would anyone want to line the pockets of these idiots when they show absolutely no respect us?

Why do people insist on referring to this "lining the pockets or supporting the Raos". The club is losing a fortune just keeping its head above water, staying away is hurting Blackburn Rovers and not the owners. I wish people would realise this. Nobody argues the point that poor decision making caused the mess we are in, but that is an entirely different issue. There is more chance of new owners coming in if they knew they were buying into a well supported, settled club. Those that are staying away are cutting off their noses to spite their faces and to be frank are now doing more damage than the owners.

Why do people insist on referring to this "lining the pockets or supporting the Raos". The club is losing a fortune just keeping its head above water, staying away is hurting Blackburn Rovers and not the owners. I wish people would realise this. Nobody argues the point that poor decision making caused the mess we are in, but that is an entirely different issue. There is more chance of new owners coming in if they knew they were buying into a well supported, settled club. Those that are staying away are cutting off their noses to spite their faces and to be frank are now doing more damage than the owners.

well, an apology from them might help

Didn't they come to the first match of the season?

Venkys did tremendous damage. But the more time that goes on, the more I believe that damage was the result of serpents whispering in their ear, not the result of any intent on their part. And they do appear to be trying to make things right as indicated by-

1. Bowyer is in charge and appears to be left alone/supported.

2. The squad is looking competitive and may be capable of a promotion push.

3. Season ticket prices remain low, plus the PL promotion offer is very generous.

4. They invested in getting Rovers a Cat 1 status, not the action of a fly by night organization.

5. Rovers as an organization remains debt free. Any money being put into the club appears to be coming from India.

6. They got rid of Kean, Agnew, JA, and Shebby appears to be muzzled.

The only question mark is Shaw's continued employment, but it looks to me, on the whole, that Venkys is trying to make things right.

They were at the Forest game and amazingly stayed till the end for the first time ever probably.

@ Steve Moss, the footer in you post using a Quote from Bill Shankly, says it all for me.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the checks." Bill Shankly

• Moderation Lead

Ill never forgive or forget the destruction Venky's, Kean and Anderson have caused.

But the boys in blue and white, have always, and will always have my full support as long as they're giving it their all.

Funny you should mention that as my mum and dad live in chaigley near clitheroe and just the other day they were horrified to find how close to Yorkshire they were under "original" boundaries.

Another govt waste of money, think technically lancashire lost every town and city in the greater manchester and Merseyside region but gained grindleton. Fair swap. (We also gained Waddington, I think!).

Also I think under that or equal govt nonsense blackburn is a unitary authority so when ever leave town see those ridiculous road signs that say welcome to lancashire. Another petty waste of tax payers money.

Blackburn and Blackpool both applied for Unitary Status to get a better deal for their boroughs by breaking away from Lancs CC.

Didn't they come to the first match of the season?

Venkys did tremendous damage. But the more time that goes on, the more I believe that damage was the result of serpents whispering in their ear, not the result of any intent on their part. And they do appear to be trying to make things right as indicated by-

1. Bowyer is in charge and appears to be left alone/supported.

2. The squad is looking competitive and may be capable of a promotion push.

3. Season ticket prices remain low, plus the PL promotion offer is very generous.

4. They invested in getting Rovers a Cat 1 status, not the action of a fly by night organization.

5. Rovers as an organization remains debt free. Any money being put into the club appears to be coming from India.

6. They got rid of Kean, Agnew, JA, and Shebby appears to be muzzled.

The only question mark is Shaw's continued employment, but it looks to me, on the whole, that Venkys is trying to make things right.

I agree with this.

Venky's have made mistakes, of course they have.

Big, costly mistakes.

But, in my mind, they are not the ones who have acted maliciously in this last couple of years.

The Bald Weasel certainly did, as did the Rat-Faced PR man and The Tantric One.

It's almost(!) criminal what they got up to.

But it has been left to the owners to foot the bill and sort out the ginormous mess than was left behind and, quite frankly, we are a much better team and club than what we were a year ago.

Out with the wasters like Orr and Murphy and in with young, hungry players who want to play for the club and the manager.

It's far, far from 'all forgiven', but I don't think Venky's have been the ultimate evil in the last few years.

And, fingers crossed, they might just be going about fixing the whole situation in the right way...

• Backroom

As far as Venky's go I'll never wipe the slate clean nor will I ever forgive them for the 2+ years of hell they've put us all through.

If they provide the necessary support for Gary and otherwise stay completely silent, though, I can at least pretend they don't exist.

in response to the question .. i never left , i always supported the team , ,just not the owners , the administration , 1 previous manager , and a couple of players taking the club for a ride , now all that remains are the owners , the club has taken some steps forward , but it is a drop in the ocean compared to the giant canyon it has fallen through during the last 2-3 years

it will never be forgotten or forgiven what Venky's have done to my beloved club

An interesting debate.

I personally feel the discussion of forgiving and forgetting Venky's is another matter now. Since they came, as you all know, Blackburn Rovers lost it's identity. You could see this in the way we've played for the past 2 years, unsure of how to win games, void of a style of play and lacking in conviction, confidence and consistency.

Gary Bowyer is an admirable man, someone I'm happy to put all of my faith in, even when times get tough. Why? Because he has earned the right to manage this football club... Unlike certain people. Bowyer is a true footballing man, he looks at the fine details of every player he has to hand and how he can improve them... You can see this particularly in Josh Kings recent upturn in form. Intelligently, he's brought in players at an age where he can use his best skill to help bring results on the pitch... Development. He speaks realistically yet confidently and stands firmly as a controlling figure as manager of our football club, something we've missed for too long.

On a separate point, the players we've brought seemingly want to play for the club, they seem happy, committed to the cause and the manager. Something that is reassuring about this group of players is that they can collectively only get better, we should expect inconsistency, frustrating performances/results from them but given time I believe they could give themselves a good chance of a play off place. There appears to be fewer individuals in this squad than what we've seen for a long time, it's a group of players that want to play for each other.

All I've ever wanted from my club is professionalism, commitment and a desire to win. Now that I'm starting to see that, it's making me think about come home to the club I once knew. I feel I can finally identify with who is managing and playing for our club, so much so that when the results go wrong, I won't be pointing to Venkys as the problem.

Venkys can never be forgiven for what has happened to Blackburn Rovers. Sheer ignorance towards the legacy of a great man, great chairman, great players, managers and our history is just not possible. The best option for them now is to allow Bowyer and the players to continue be the face of Blackburn Rovers. If this continues, the fans will slowly but surely return, myself included.

One thing that still holds me back from returning to Ewood is my relationship with our fans, so many times over these past 2 years has my patience with others been tested to my limits but perhaps its time to just forgive and forget.

As long as things continue as they are, I will definitely return.

Lancashire won the war of the roses

As a Yorkie myself, allow me to clarify that although the names of the combatants derived from the cities of York and Lancaster, actual duchies had little to do with these cities. The lands of the Duchy of Lancaster were mainly in Gloucestershire, North Wales and Cheshire, while the supporting areas of the Duchy of York were spread throughout England and many were in Wales!

As a Yorkie myself, allow me to clarify that although the names of the combatants derived from the cities of York and Lancaster, actual duchies had little to do with these cities. The lands of the Duchy of Lancaster were mainly in Gloucestershire, North Wales and Cheshire, while the supporting areas of the Duchy of York were spread throughout England and many were in Wales!

yes I know all that but The House of Lancaster won and it was referred to for ever more as the war of the roses ie the red rose of Lancashire and the white rose of Yarkshire.

Succinctly put, however Lancashire did not beat Yorkshire per-se, (thus giving the lie to inferences in earlier posts that Yorkshire was somehow inferior to Lancashire)

clutching at straws there!

Ribble Valley known as gods country, Northwest second largest economy after the City, most successful county for football, home of the computer, industrial revolution (Hargreaves, Compton, Lever, Dr Rose, the list goes on and on)

admittedly Yarkshire has cricket

Archived