BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shadsworth Area

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All, it is with a heavy heart that I have had to turn down the flat in Shadsworth due to the fact buses don't run there after 6pm and with my sight being so poor after dark I would have had trouble seeing to get back to the place it would be particularly hard after tuesday evening matches at 21.45 and have decided it would just be impracticle I as usual have not done my homework on the area and transport links I am back on the council's list and will still be on the lookout for properties in Blackburn there is a chance in the new year I might be able to swap with a tenant in Calligreaves in Heaton Close which I have been advised has better transport links and is definitely more practical I have had some advice from friends on places better served and so am keeping all my options open naturally I am totally gutted and a lot of my things have been packed but maybe this is for the best needless to say I will not be applyiing for properties in Shadsworth and I hope something does come up which I am sure something will needless to say I will still be attending all home matches and staying in my usual b&b I guess for me I have viewed this move as a big adventure but I now realise a lot of other things need to be considered. I would like to thank everyone on here for their invaluable advice thanks Yoda for properties you have mentioned to me and to everyone for their advice wish me luck hopefully something comes up soon and if anyone finds out about any properties going in places with better bus links I would be grateful if you could let me know as I say I am keeping all my options open.

Thanks to everyone

Savio

• Backroom

As always good luck Savio however most of Blackburn maybe similar with bus times but I'm not sure.

It's hardly a bustling metropolis so public transport is pretty infrequent.

Was night games the only deciding factor in the end as I think we've only had one so far this season and a taxi would only be a few pounds.

Hope it works out either way

Thanks Tom that was the major deciding factor plus also if I wanted to go out in Blackburn town I would still have to be on the way back by 6 pm and with my sight probs it would just not be practical. Although I have been told the last bus from ewood into town is at 11pm but the last bus from town to shad is 6PM I know taxis are only a few pounds and there has only been 1 tuesday game but over the next part of the season their are many more tuesday games. So I suppose will just have to bide my time and hope something elsewhere comes up soon close to town on a street with good lighting thanks once again for all your help.

I think you are wrong with your bus times, I' be very surprised if the last bus through shad is 6pm, you know there are numerous bus companies in Blackburn doing the same or similar routes, its not like the days when Blackburn transport and ribble where the only bus companies.

Also you wouldn't want to go into town after 6pm, there's nothing happening there unless dirty pubs full of the local toothless pish heads are your thing.

Sorry to hear that matey. Where I live in Rochdale there's a bus stop right outside my house. I think we have two buses an hour. I've noticed that after about 7.00 pm the buses frequently go by completely empty. Having seen the ridiculous amounts of money bus companies are charging for fares these days I'm not surprised. Taxi's are dirt cheap here and are certainly a better bet than the buses if there are two or more of you.

• Moderation Lead

I think you are wrong with your bus times, I' be very surprised if the last bus through shad is 6pm, you know there are numerous bus companies in Blackburn doing the same or similar routes, its not like the days when Blackburn transport and ribble where the only bus companies.

Also you wouldn't want to go into town after 6pm, there's nothing happening there unless dirty pubs full of the local toothless pish heads are your thing.

Are there any pubs in the town centre any more? I gave up on boozing in Blackburn (pubs around the ground aside) some time ago!!

What a bummer. Hope you get sorted out, mate.

Thanks Stu.

none worthwhile, that I'm aware of.

I have to say, to me, the bus thing does just seem like you was looking for a reason to talk yourself out of moving there, is it that area(shad) that's really put you of?

honestly TJ it is the bus thing and as the lighting on shadsworth street is really poor near the end of Oban drive it would be very difficult for me to get back after dark and as I use a long white cane at night it is very difficult for me and just thought all things considered it was just not practical not an excuse more about the fact my sight after dark is so poor so now am only going for properties in well lit areas and ones that have buses that run late.

Unlucky Sav. Was looking forward to a chat at Ewood! Hope you get here sooner rather than later :) all the best!

Thanks Mike funny you should mention this Mike & Stu there is a possible homeswap on Heatley close Calligreaves a 1 bed ground floor flat the lighting inside the flat is not so good but have been assured by various people lighting inside my home can be improved. I have spoken today to the chap and have arranged for him to view my place the 2nd week of January he seems very interested in my place & apart from the lighting the flat I have seen in Calligreaves is perfect with buses running late to town which is a short walk to the flat hopefully he will like my flat and I can organise temp access for him to view my flat although he seems very interested in my place and should things go according to plan I could possibly be on the move in early February fingers crossed! Thanks everyone for their advice and tips on Blackburn.

Thanks B&W Rover I have already turned down the shadsworth flat thanks very much for your help and for the offer of a lift.

I just looked at the whole picture and due to my sight I decided it was not ideal and it wasn't just the night games that were an issue if I plan to go to the lakes or trips out I would still need to arrive back early to catch the last bus to Shad.

Being partially sighted is not ideal.

However looking practically with the Calligreaves flat it is in a better location the lighting inside the house can be improved by TVH and it is round the corner from some very good friends of mine.

I feel in myself it is a much better option ok I will have to wait until February but being such a big decision locating 300 miles away from London I need to make sure I am going for the best possible property.

However if you do by chance head back to town after the night games a lift would be a great help providing you are not going out of your way.

Thanks very much for the offer I am eternally grateful to you and others on here who have given good advice and have offered help.

Sav, are you not moving now because you can't attend the night games? If that is the case then don't be so ridiculous. I live about 3 miles from you so more than willing to drop you off after each night game to your home for free. Let me know if you're interested mate.

Can't believe no one else thought to offer this. What a gent :tu:

Archived