BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League 2013/2014 (and Europa league!)

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

ITV and Lineker have both commented on it so would assume it's legit. Basically complained that Rooney is getting in his way and his team-mates are playing in "his" position and forcing him into less productive areas. No idea whether he criticised Moyes directly or not but there's an implicit accusation in his comments that the team has no shape and no idea how to play - which is of course up to the manager to resolve.

Rooney isn't going downhill. Moyes is making the mistake of playing one of his best players out of position because he is capable of doing other things.

I still expect United to go through. If they score the first goal inside the opening 30 minutes or so they shouldn't have too many problems. I feel the same way about this tie as I did about France v Ukraine in the qualifiers. I expect the quality to come through, but that was a shockingly poor performance and for that reason Olympiakos should be concerned that they didn't get a third goal and put the tie to bed. United will not be that poor next time out, that is for certain, and Olympiakos still struggled to create chances.

• Backroom

Rooney isn't going downhill. Moyes is making the mistake of playing one of his best players out of position because he is capable of doing other things.

I still expect United to go through. If they score the first goal inside the opening 30 minutes or so they shouldn't have too many problems. I feel the same way about this tie as I did about France v Ukraine in the qualifiers. I expect the quality to come through, but that was a shockingly poor performance and for that reason Olympiakos should be concerned that they didn't get a third goal and put the tie to bed. United will not be that poor next time out, that is for certain, and Olympiakos still struggled to create chances.

Olympiakos aren't going to be concerned about leading 2-0 against Manchester United. It's a better result than they could ever have dreamed of. If they go out at OT their fans will still consider them heroes for beating United in Greece and for reaching the knockout stages.

I don't understand what not being 'concerned' means? If that tie goes to 2-1 then nerves will set in. Their lead may be somewhat unexpected, but they now have an excellent chance to progress to the next round and they will know that they will probably never get a better one.

• Backroom

There won't be any pressure whatsoever on Olympiakos at Old Trafford. Whilst they may have a good chance to progress, even after their 2-0 victory at home it still isn't expected of them. I think they'll go to Old Trafford without any concern whatsoever and simply go out there to play as well as they can. Considering the calibre of the team I think it'd be very harsh to criticise them for not getting a third or suggest they should be fretting over the fact they didn't score another - the fact they scored two against United and didn't concede is more than they could have realistically hoped for. I imagine they will be nothing short of delighted as it stands, and rightfully so.

I still expect United to go through. If they score the first goal inside the opening 30 minutes or so they shouldn't have too many problems.

I don't think they can do it, but it would be their best result of the season if they did. In the Prem and CL this season they've only scored three at OT three times, and conceded in each of those games - so even replicating their biggest home win of the season would put them out on away goals. They don't keep many clean sheets and they don't score many.

Moyes will play Cleverley, Welbeck and Young again, it will be a 1-1 draw and he'll go on about how there are lots of positives for next season (like not having to face European sides any more).

They couldn't even beat Sunderland over two legs ffs. Olympiacos are 20 points clear in their league and finished in their group ahead of Benfica.

Fulham, West Brom, Swansea, Newcastle and god knows how many other teams have taken points from Old Trafford this season, it wouldn't surprise me if they did the same.

A well hedged prediction there. The classic 'they shouldn't do it, but they could, but it won't surprise me if they don't' - you could should be a tv pundit.

The thing is, they don't have to score 3 goals. 2-0 and they force extra time. That should be their first objective.

They've only managed that three times this season at home too - against the mighty Palace, Swansea and Cardiff.

I think you're underestimating just how bad they are at Old Trafford now. If Ferguson was in charge then they'd probably give Olympiakos a fearsome rogering, but Moyes has castrated them.

Guest Norbert

Anyone who plays Mata as an out-and-out left winger and puts players like Jones in central midfield is not fit to manage a team with the pretensions of Man Utd.

Archived