BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League exclusive to BT Sport

M-K

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24879138

From 2015 it won't be on Sky or ITV any more.

Chief executive Gavin Patterson said: "I am thrilled that BT Sport will be the only place where fans can enjoy all the live action from the Champions League and Europa League."

I'm not, because I like watching the Champions League but I dislike having to pay an extra £12 per month to do so. And there's no way I'm changing my phone and internet to BT just to get it for "free". Gavin Patterson, you can kean my motherkeaning kean, you horrible gloating turd.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chief executive Gavin Patterson said: "I am thrilled that BT Sport will be the only place where fans can enjoy all the live action from the Champions League and Europa League."

I'm not, because I like watching the Champions League but I dislike having to pay an extra £12 per month to do so. And there's no way I'm changing my phone and internet to BT just to get it for "free". Gavin Patterson, you can kean my motherkeaning kean, you horrible gloating

http://home.bt.com/news/btlife/bt-wins-all-live-champions-league-rights-from-2015-11363848203952

I'm happy because I like watching the Champions League but I dislike having to pay an extra £40 per month to do so. And don't have to change my phone and internet to Skyem just to get it . Rupert Murdoch , you can kean my motherkeaning kean, you horrible gloating turd.

• Backroom

A massive statement of intent but with that comes a massive massive gamble

Is this the first time Sky has lost out like this to a rival?

When your rival overspends to a ridiculous degree I think there's a point where you have to let them get on with it. Not convinced this will work out for BT Sport. Their coverage of games is hilarious, no better than ITV. For their sake I hope it's improved by 2015 and Michael Owen is nowhere near their studios.

The Champs league generally isn't worth watching until February anyway, and there are plenty of foreign channels to tune into as an alternative with far lower price plans available. Thank the good lord for the internet. :)

Guest Norbert

Couldn't care less. The same members of the cartel playing each other on a loop, hoovering up all the money, in an over hyped and tedious tournament. In the days of the European Cup, playing an AC Milan or Barcelona was special. Now an English club plays them 3 times a season, it isn't special.

Football has been the preserve of wealthy foreigners with dubious human rights interests and media tycoons for the last 10-15 years at least. People like us are just mugs for paying them to watch their multi million pound ego trip/money laundering exercise.

Mind-numbingly dull competition until it gets to the knockout stages (the old European Cup) and responsible for all the ills that afflict the modern game.

Fans outside the elite few should boycott it and not watch it.

Not sure if it's simply because I'm older but I barely watch Premier League and Champions League matches any more.

I don't feel there's any relevance. It may as well be a La Liga game for all the connection I feel. Sad really, I used to love watching English teams in Europe but with so few English players actually involved, it's almost not relevant which club badge they are wearing.

Time for a franchised off, boxed off, cut off European Stupour League, and leave them to it.

Maybe people who do actually care about football will get off their backsides and go to a live match, local to them - even grassroots!

Guest Norbert

My friend who was a Coventry season ticket holder now watches Nuneaton Town, and never goes to Coventry's 'home' games. If I was in North London, there would be a part of me that would rather watch Edgar Davids at Barnet than save up £50 for the odd Spurs/Arsenal match.

I'm not, because I like watching the Champions League but I dislike having to pay an extra £12 per month to do so. And there's no way I'm changing my phone and internet to BT just to get it for "free". Gavin Patterson, you can kean my motherkeaning kean, you horrible gloating turd.

Do you subscribe to Sky? If so then it's just a case of what goes around comes around. If not get t'Pub. :tu: Far more sociable. As for the early stages of the CL... it's just one long yawn as most of the follow up posts to yours confirm.

I watched quite a lot of Champions League football in my teens but since then I haven't watched much of it, just the odd game depending on the match up.

The main issue I have with these deals is it's another nail in the coffin of free-to-air sport. In the near future it wouldn't surprise me if no Sport is on any of the free to air channels which is pretty sad. It surely will have a detrimental impact on the number of young people trying to get into a specific sport especially if they come from backgrounds where they can't afford to pay to watch and this could have an impact on future talent.

I know several events are safeguarded but even they are starting to be taken off the protected list. Overall I think it is pretty sad.

Great. I won't be subjected to Manchester United matches interrupting the ITV programmes on a Tuesday night. Only time I want to watch them is when they are losing!

Do you subscribe to Sky? If so then it's just a case of what goes around comes around. If not get t'Pub. :tu: Far more sociable. As for the early stages of the CL... it's just one long yawn as most of the follow up posts to yours confirm.

Yes, I've got Sky. They should drop their subscription fee when they lose out on things like this, but they won't.

I think the main thing that riled me was that douchenozzle Patterson saying how he's "thrilled" that I won't be able to watch European football any more. How is that a good thing for any fan? It isn't creating a competitive market for televised sport, as it means a massive price rise if I want to watch it, and it's bad for the majority of BT customers who probably aren't all that bothered about football, because they're the poor saps who'll be footing the bill.

Yes, I've got Sky. They should drop their subscription fee when they lose out on things like this, but they won't.

I think the main thing that riled me was that douchenozzle Patterson saying how he's "thrilled" that I won't be able to watch European football any more. How is that a good thing for any fan? It isn't creating a competitive market for televised sport, as it means a massive price rise if I want to watch it, and it's bad for the majority of BT customers who probably aren't all that bothered about football, because they're the poor saps who'll be footing the bill.

I don't know about all this stuff but cant you just bin off sky?

• Backroom

On the flip side it will now be cheaper to see all the games as Bt sport is less than sky sports

On the flip side it will now be cheaper to see all the games as Bt sport is less than sky sports

I think the government should step-in, and say to Uefa, Fifa and all the tv companies,' if you want to show sport in our country you do it

on freeview, we have a licence fee system in operation, which worked very well for years.'

It was only a matter of time. I generally watch the CL game that's on itv and I have to say that I am disappointed that this is now going to be something I would have to pay for (I won't be though)

So is it just England games and euro/world cups left that are free to view in terms of football?

It was only a matter of time. I generally watch the CL game that's on itv and I have to say that I am disappointed that this is now going to be something I would have to pay for (I won't be though)

So is it just England games and euro/world cups left that are free to view in terms of football?

I hope the Russian teams start winning everything, that would really kean them off.

Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea out in first round.

I don't know about all this stuff but cant you just bin off sky?

Yeah, I could, but I don't get Sky specifically for the Champions League. There's other stuff I watch on it.

It won't be cheaper for me, it will be an extra £12 per month just to see the games I currently watch for free on ITV or as part of my Sky sub.

Archived