BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] January Transfer Window 2014

neophox

LUCAS Neill would ‘jump at the chance’ to sign a short-term deal with Blackburn Rovers.

The Australia skipper, 35, is training with Rovers following his release from Japanese outfit Omiya Ardija in November. Neill has been told by Australia boss Ange Postecoglou he must find a new club before March if he is to captain his country at this summer’s World Cup in Brazil. The veteran defender would dearly like that club to be Rovers. But Neill isn’t holding out much hope.

He said: “I would jump at the chance to stay with Rovers but their problem is that they have too many players. “They had a Premier League squad that are now trying to cull down to a Championship squad. “I love the surroundings, I loved my time there. “They are a strong Championship team with ambitions of being promoted again. “I definitely feel I could add value to that squad and if the door was open I definitely would walk through.”

Please. NO.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if he'd jump at the chance we should offer him the option of coming in and maybe doing a bit of coaching but without picking up a wage. He's earnt enough out of the game to not really need the money. If he wants to go to the World Cup it's quite clear he needs us more than we need him.

You've hit the nail on the head, bizarrely. Precisely because Ings suffered with injuries recently will clubs be less likely to take a punt on a player who's had one impressive half season.

Putting them side by side, Ings has a cartilage tear in his injury record by the age of 21 and has had one good half season, following a season where he scored once every ten league appearances.

Rhodes has a dislocated shoulder in his youth, as well as an equal, if not slightly better goal per league game ratio this season, following an equally impressive term last season. This while playing at a club in relative turmoil and probably underperforming, given it's recent heritage. Before that, his goal record at Hudds speaks for itself.

You might be getting at potential - which is up for debate, because Ings hasn't done enough to truly signify he can be a top player - or potential percentage profit on a future sale. Even the fact that Burnley are most likely headed for the Premiership next year affects what they can say no to. But on the market today, I'd wager a club is likely to pay at least three times for Rhodes what they would for Ings. It's all about risk. Rhodes is closer to a sure bet, if there ever was such a thing.

PL sides will already know Ings can score goals Bundesburn, they won't need him to do it for another two seasons. They'll make their judgements on his all-round game. If he's got the technique, they'll go for him, if he hasn't they'll be in no rush.

Longsiders should know if he's got the technique to play in the top league, or not. Has he, Longsiders?

Can't see Rhodes going for £32 million!

Ings obviously has potential and this year is showing it and Burnley invested in the hope he will be eventually be sold for more money. Rhodes was signed for top dollar in the hope of firing Rovers back to the premiership gravy train immediately and the plan did not work. Even if Rovers do sell I can only see a small profit at best. Hopefully it will work this season.

If both players were sold this window, pound for pound the profit on the transfer fees could be the same but with wages factored in there is only one club will show a profit. A lesson which Venkys have taken too long to learn and another part of why we are in financial peril.

I meant if Rhodes goes for £12 million....£4 million more than he cost us.

I'd love to see him jump at the chance

The chance to jump off the BBE roof !!!

Knob off lucash you money grabbing self centred Aussie turd

Get off the Fence Abbey!

out of interest sake Longsiders, did Charlie Austin get sold for big money?

Nobody is sure. At the time it was suggested we did ok - considering the 'ahem' knee issue that Hull found (which we all know was rubbish). I suspect we ended up only getting about 3 million as a result

PL sides will already know Ings can score goals Bundesburn, they won't need him to do it for another two seasons. They'll make their judgements on his all-round game. If he's got the technique, they'll go for him, if he hasn't they'll be in no rush.

Longsiders should know if he's got the technique to play in the top league, or not. Has he, Longsiders?

Well you can never be sure until they try den but IMO definitely - I actually think he has the technique to play at a top 10 side, maybe even higher.

I also think Rhodes can play in the Prem by the way, he'll score goals wherever he plays IMO. My point about him is there is limited scope for profit for you guys on him because of how much he cost.

I don't reckon they do know that, to be honest, den. I don't claim to be an authority on the matter, but as far as I've read and heard, the tendency these days is to look at the numbers when identifying targets. When you look at the numbers, Ings hasn't shown a great deal more than a half season's Purple Patch.

I think the point remains, Rhodes' market value is significantly more than Ings' and not just because of the disparity between their most recent transfer fees.

Nobody is sure. At the time it was suggested we did ok - considering the 'ahem' knee issue that Hull found (which we all know was rubbish). I suspect we ended up only getting about 3 million as a result

Well you can never be sure until they try den but IMO definitely - I actually think he has the technique to play at a top 10 side, maybe even higher.

If he's got the ability to play there Longsiders, that's where he'll end up. As for player values - who knows? So many variables that affect that.

Guest Norbert

Why do we need Lucash? We have got enough money vampires at the club without adding a pensioner that has recently failed at the A and J leagues. There must be better options than this fool.

For the Burnley fans on here, I have seen a lot of Ashley Barnes over the past few years as Brighton are my local team. He is a very poor player, no idea how he is playing in the championship. He works hard but has no technical ability whatsoever. He is absolutely hated by the Brighton fans and was often the target of the boo boys. He does have a habit of scoring some crucial goals though.

Alex Marrow is apparently close to joining Fleetwood. He's not great but surely he could play for a better team than Fleetwood?! He could do a job for a lower championship team or certainly a lge 1 team.

On loan or permanently?

did not know that, so might explain the low fee. although, would it not make sense to have then tried and given him a new contract, and then get a bigger fee?

Don't really know the ins-and-outs but I would imagine they offered him a new contract and he was unwilling to sign one?

I have no idea tbh.

the only reason i asked that question Longers, re Austin, is at the time, the Burnley lot were sure you would get circa 10 mill for him. so much like this Ings debate, if money is flashed in front of your owners, doesnt matter how much, they look like they are happy to cash in

Did they? I think the 'joke' was if Rhodes is worth 8 million .... and bearing in mind the numbers comment, Austin's record was much better than Rhodes when you signed him!

They aren't 'happy' to cash in but they do seem to be sensibly pragmatic. The guy wanted to go, we desperately needed cash and but for 'whatever Hull found' we'd have made close to 4 million on him.

I heard 2 bizarre rumours today - and let me say up front I don't believe either - but always funny to share. I heard that Rhodes is going to Everton and that a deal is on the table for Ings, genuine silly money - more than you paid for Rhodes, a lot more!

Guest Norbert

It think the Everton one was on Twitter, so make of that what you will. So will Ings be going to Blackburn, or 'Club X' according to the nonsense?

We all know any move for either will be on the last day, when it'll be panic stations for our club, and we'll have half an hour to replace them.

Archived