BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Club Crest

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Red Rose was adopted as the crest for shirts in the early 1970's and has been there ever since. The design of the rose has changed from time to time but it has always been there. Prior to that there was no crest on the shirts. The town crest was on the 1960 F.A. Cup Final shirt but that was a deemed a special occasion and a one-off. I believe - based on photographic evidence - that the town crest was used on shirts for the 1928 F.A. Cup Final.

Whose decision was it to abandon the Blackburn coat of arms in favour of the 'red rose logo' for the club crest and when was it done?

Anyone in favour of a petition to get the coat of arms reinstated?

On your bike in the sternest of words !

This is what I believe to be the case:

The one and only badge was drawn up sometime in the late '60s and adorned the entrance to the old Nuttall Street stand long before it appeared on the shirts.

The town crest was worn on the shirts in the 1960 Cup Final.

Before that the shirts were the only identification.

I would be passionately opposed to changing the badge which I think is a design classic and still looks fresh and modern today.

Whose decision was it to abandon the Blackburn coat of arms in favour of the 'red rose logo' for the club crest and when was it done?

Anyone in favour of a petition to get the coat of arms reinstated?

Would you like to re-consider your position considering the learned input in the above replies

• I recall the crest we use now on the shirts, being used in programmes and on notepapers etc quite a long time before it actually made it to the shirt. the tudor rose was the crest I remember on the the shirts from the 75 season up until (I might be wrong here)... the pale blue Ribero shirt with the Perspex sponsor?

Guest Norbert

I like the current badge, but then it is all I've really known.

I wouldn't want anything like Fulham's current badge, or something that would be from the J League.

• I recall the crest we use now on the shirts, being used in programmes and on notepapers etc quite a long time before it actually made it to the shirt. the tudor rose was the crest I remember on the the shirts from the 75 season up until (I might be wrong here)... the pale blue Ribero shirt with the Perspex sponsor?
I remember the red rose on the early 80's shirt - it was around the last before sponsorship (Perspex was the first from memory) and one of the first of which you could buy a replica (I bought one and it lasted ages).

My first rovers shirt had the red rose on it. it was bought from the reception on nuttal stree (the only place in town you could get it as even JJB on Ainsworth street didn't stock them). It was made from that horrible rough towling material that shcool gym tops were made of. circa 1985-ish

Guest Norbert

My first was from the 1994/95 season. The away kit. Again, the material was awful, that crappy nylon. I've gone off football kits as shirts from that era made you sweat in heat, but you froze on colder days.

And the clever thing is the academy badge has a rosebud rather than a full rose. I like it and can't see why we'd need to change. It's distinctive and instantly recognisable. Classic yet modern think you're on a loser here if you were seriously suggesting changing it for the town coat of arms, which is well and good in its place but far too cluttered for a football club logo

Archived