BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Club Crest

tn_gallery_15435_154_206127.jpg

This is my first rovers kit, sorry about the quality and size but its taken me ages to suss out how to post it!!!

Think it was around 83 ish. It's made by Spall and has the house of Lancaster rose.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tbh any attempts by the owners to change the badge would definitely be the final straw that broke the camels back and would finally confirm to me they have lost the plot and I would never be in favour of such a move as the one thing that stands out about our top is the distinctive rose on the badge and is the one thing that everyone looks for on the shirt imo to change it would be sacrilege.

The first replica shirt I had was made by Spall in the early 80's I think.It had the Tudor rose with Spall embroidered in red capitals. Umbro might have made one before that with the Tudor rose.

Sure the promotion shirt under Kendall had the tudor rose and was made by umbro with the red away top with a white background for the rose to stand out.

"Tudor Rose"?!? Hang on a minute. It was the red rose of the house of Lancaster that adorned our old shirt.

The white rose, aka the bloodless rose, was for the house of York (see dirty Leeds' badge) and the Tudor Rose was a combination of the two, red with a white middle.

So the red rose of Lancashire / house of Lancaster. Pure and with nothing in it from the Yorkies.

When rovers first went into the premiership I bought the red and black stripe shirt from the shop the day they went on sale , it had an embroidered badge and a pattern in the stripes , these were put on sale by accident as only the player issue shirts had the pattern and embroidered badge . It has 12 on the back , wonder how many others got these that day as they were pulled off sale within hours ?

"Tudor Rose"?!? Hang on a minute. It was the red rose of the house of Lancaster that adorned our old shirt.

The white rose, aka the bloodless rose, was for the house of York (see dirty Leeds' badge) and the Tudor Rose was a combination of the two, red with a white middle.

So the red rose of Lancashire / house of Lancaster. Pure and with nothing in it from the Yorkies.

Some club badges just don't seem to 'age' and Rovers is one of them. Similar to Forest and Derby. Despite it being an 'old' badge design, introduced in the 70's or whenever, it still passes the test today in 2014 as a unique, simple, tidy crest. It isn't cluttered, yet contains the essential red rose, club name, 1875 and Arte et Labore, all in a unique design.

I don't see any need to change it, yet if it was 'spruced up' whilst keeping the design the same, e.g. minimal adjustments to the text/colours whilst keeping the same shape then I wouldn't be too disappointed. What we don't want is to end up like some clubs who have had 2/3 completely different logos and have ended up with some rubbish like Fulham or Stoke.

Yes :)

only used on special occasion, like the cup final

Looking back on historical shirts it looks like you are right but the original badge in 1875 was a Maltese Cross.

Looking back on historical shirts it looks like you are right but the original badge in 1875 was a Maltese Cross.

As did Spurs in 1885 to pay homage to the Rovers, I can't find out why we had the Maltese cross to start with though.

Found it now

In 1866 the Royal Shrewsbury School Boat Club (RSSBC) was founded as a club, run by the boys, for rowing at Shrewsbury. In the original constitution, it stated that the dress rule was, “a straw hat with a dark blue ribbon and a white jersey trimmed with dark blue with a blue Maltese Cross on the front of the jersey.”

Around the 1870’s when the newly formed football clubs were being established around England, many of the first uniform kits to appear were those of the Public Schools and sports clubs with which the game was originally associated. Blackburn Rovers first wore white jerseys adorned with the blue Maltese Cross of Shrewsbury School, as several of their founders had been educated here

On 5th November 1875, two friends, John Lewis and Arthur Constantine, organized a meeting at the St Leger Hotel in Blackburn to discuss the possibility of establishing a football club in the town. Constantine had played the game while studying at Shrewsbury School

Some club badges just don't seem to 'age' and Rovers is one of them. Similar to Forest and Derby. Despite it being an 'old' badge design, introduced in the 70's or whenever, it still passes the test today in 2014 as a unique, simple, tidy crest. It isn't cluttered, yet contains the essential red rose, club name, 1875 and Arte et Labore, all in a unique design.

I don't see any need to change it, yet if it was 'spruced up' whilst keeping the design the same, e.g. minimal adjustments to the text/colours whilst keeping the same shape then I wouldn't be too disappointed. What we don't want is to end up like some clubs who have had 2/3 completely different logos and have ended up with some rubbish like Fulham or Stoke.

Erm the Rovers badge as it is now wasn't conceived in the 70's. It was more a creation from the mid 80's (used on the signage above the nuttal street stand reception) and was only incorporated on the shirts in 89-90

Image on 88-89 squad

$T2eC16ZHJI!E9qSO9fM3BQuN+z!CLw~~60_58.J

As did Spurs in 1885 to pay homage to the Rovers, I can't find out why we had the Maltese cross to start with though.

Found it now

In 1866 the Royal Shrewsbury School Boat Club (RSSBC) was founded as a club, run by the boys, for rowing at Shrewsbury. In the original constitution, it stated that the dress rule was, “a straw hat with a dark blue ribbon and a white jersey trimmed with dark blue with a blue Maltese Cross on the front of the jersey.”

Around the 1870’s when the newly formed football clubs were being established around England, many of the first uniform kits to appear were those of the Public Schools and sports clubs with which the game was originally associated. Blackburn Rovers first wore white jerseys adorned with the blue Maltese Cross of Shrewsbury School, as several of their founders had been educated here

On 5th November 1875, two friends, John Lewis and Arthur Constantine, organized a meeting at the St Leger Hotel in Blackburn to discuss the possibility of establishing a football club in the town. Constantine had played the game while studying at Shrewsbury School

John Lewis - legend - I salute you sir!

Erm the Rovers badge as it is now wasn't conceived in the 70's. It was more a creation from the mid 80's (used on the signage above the nuttal street stand reception) and was only incorporated on the shirts in 89-90

Image on 88-89 squad

The badge was around in the 70s, but wasn't used on the shirts until the late 80s.

I remember the badge being cut into the centre-circle in the centenary season.

1975 - pics anyone?

Image on 88-89 squad

bob fleming's dad, middle row, far right!

Wayne Hemingway was once on TV and he said Rovers had the best badge in English football. Anyone would think he's a Rovers fan.

Leeds smiley badge from the 70's had to be the worst ever and those stupid tags they had on their socks, Admiral I think?

My understanding is that the current badge was introduced for the '75 centenary season.It was not worn on the shirt until 89-90 season.

Remember the old Riverside stand roof with the centenary plaque proud of place?...had the current badge on it!

Rovers home programmes from the 50's/60's featured the town crest on the cover.

Blackburn-SheffieldW-12.12.64-L.jpg

Archived