BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Myers - director of communications

Tom

And the only way they can be corrected is by getting into the PL and the riches that will bring but, for various reason (FFP and a manager not good enough) this is highly unlikely to happen. So meanwhile the debt grows as income will continue to outstrip expenditure and we get further into the mire.

In all honesty I don't have the answers and can see (to a degree) your point. It just riles me that anybody can even begin to justify anything that have done.

By the way ask the local businesses around Ewood what they think of Venkys. They have lost lots of money they were getting when we were in the PL.

I am not justifying anything, I am simply saying constantly slating them does nothing without looking at what can be done.

Moving forward we have FFP to deal with currently. The club will not get into the PL until it is out of that and financially on better footing. That is being done, then we can look to get a manager who would have the genuine quality and experience needed to take us up. Currently we would struggle to find that man.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, enough drivel, lets get this clear:

Alan Myers was appointed as Director of Communications as a result of a clear need for improved communication between the club and it's supporters (as we all made explicitly clear) as well as someone to fight our corner in the media.

Initially he wanted to Owners to engage more, directly with supporters, however I think the phrase is once bitten twice shy. Whilst the owners are experienced business people they are also quite private people (Balaji aside). They are not experienced in dealing with the media, especially the British sport media and an object of ridicule. Granted many of their statements needed little adaptation to achieve this, the genuinely aimed for CL football, I would guess they now realise this is not realistic. Now however they make no comment or appearances, would you when many of the people who you would be talking to simply hate you (I don't think that is too strong a phrase to use for the feeling of many supporters) and who would simply pick apart what you say and use it as further ammunition against you. I have heard time and time again, I want to hear a statement of intent for this season. The response has been given many times already this pre-season. We are aiming for promotion as you always should do. What the club won't come out and do is make a big thing of this, headlines reading "We will aim for promotion" will be used when we don't achieve it. Neither can they come out and say "We want to balance the books and will do our best on the pitch in the meantime", who wants to hear that?

You can read, listen and believe what you want about conspiracy theories. The owners may well have been sold the club via a third party on false promises, however they are clearly trying their best. They could've just walked away, instead they have listened and responded in the way they feel is best. They continue to financially show unbelievable support to the club and us as supporters.

Immediately upon his arrival Myers joined twitter and sought to directly engage with supporters as he did at Everton. He was quickly met with abuse as well as thoughtful and insightful comments such as "Venkys are crap", "The owners need to go away", "Venkys out".

He still reads every element of the press and social media as well as here but you don't need to be in the conversations as outlined above to do this. We have a fanbase more than willing to raise issues and outline their problems quickly enough via every outlet they can so I am sure he is aware of them all.

Before he arrived we had little to no communication with the club, Greg Coar was working tirelessly in the commercial department, imagine his job trying to sell commercial packages at that time!

Since his arrival Myers has ensured we have regular information from the club from the basic kit information, new ticketing systems, taking our complaints to Huddersfield last season, keeping us in the loop and resolving it etc..

You should have noticed any articles in the press are now usually positive, particularly when the media actually care, last season the game against Liverpool saw us back in the spotlight. I recall many media outlets running positive stories about the club, Bowyer and various other things.

They are trying to do so in a low key manner, upon Myers' arrival the key element was to get us out of the media, the spotlight and the firing line in general.

He did this, now we can slowly begin to rebuild our reputation amongst supporters and the media in general. Remember, good news or positive news stories have a way of finding columns on inside pages rather than back pages.

It is your opinion that he is not, they obviously believe via the people at the club that he is doing a decent job. For all we know it could be a case of, he will do until the club is on an even keel and then we can go again. What top manager could we attract in an embargo when, if we were being honest, would be told, you will need to bring in more than you spend and continue to reduce expenditure until we get to XY and Z, then you can start to rebuild.

How do we not know they are using Bowyer as a steady hand for the time being? If that is the case then he's fitting that part quite well I would say.

NB: I would love to see a different man in charge and more ambition but until we sort the finances and FFP out who would we end up with and what could they do better?

Always wondered which poster was Myers

Snowballs - only hit with one yes, more thrown. Still enough to make you feel unwelcome and best, unsafe at worst.

Counter argue away.

They are indeed, so what do we do about that?

Snowball would have been better if was a brick

Ultimately they must carry the can. Their early mistakes have become monumental errors, regardless of who they were advised by or what that advice was the mess is their fault.

I think that is clear for everyone, my point is too many people are refusing to move on, I am 100% not saying forgive and forget at all but they are going nowhere and due to the amount of money someone would need to fill their boots (again their fault) its probably a good job they aren't doing a disappearing act.

Therefore we need to look forward and focus on what can be changed, the errors need correcting, we can't undo them so how to we all help to sort it. Simply saying it's their fault they should fix it is fine as an attitude if you don't care about the club, can forget about it and do something else.

We can't, this is our club and always will be so lets focus on trying to improve it.

I am not for one second saying we should forget what they have done, we should forgive them just because time has passed or even because of the good they have done in the town.

The damage has been done but we are in a marriage of convenience with little other options and a common goal, we can't lose sight of that. Working against each other will do nothing but harm.

d I v o r c e them

They are tossers who are killing the club. 8th in prem to oblivion. All the stars sold , we are a nationwide joke, there's Shaw the rogue , only come when The Queen comes , if they come any other they don't have the decency to stay longer than 65 mins etc

You worship venkys we see that's up to you but if you think the debts are nothing to do with the lunes then I hate to tell you but Santa ain't real,

I really don't, I am merely looking forward. Yes they have done exactly what you have said. We know this. It is fact and has been said over and over and over since they arrived. What does that achieve? We all know the facts so why keep banging on about it? Rather than simply moaning about how crap things are and bringing up old mistakes lets look at where we are and what we need to change and improve, that could serve a purpose.

The constant looking back is pointless it's like your wife 4 years ago spending 2 years wasting your money and running big debts up, whinging about it constantly and feeling sorry for yourself will do nothing you have options though:

1) change wife (or club)

2) look at what can be done to improve the situation.

3) sit and whinge forever, become bitter and nothing changes.

Always wondered which poster was Myers

Snowball would have been better if was a brick

d I v o r c e them

Do that then. They won't leave so why don't you change club? Or do you just enjoy whinging about it.

Abbey - please try to understand that it's not just pro/anti anything there can be middle ground.

No Rovers fan is 100% Venky lover despite what you think. I am still completely amazed and gutted by the disaster they caused but if it was a simple as us fans picking someone else to sort it out, I'd be shouting for it as loud as anyone.

Unfortunately it's not. They certainly do not deserve any benefit of the doubt, but the situation would not be helped by throwing bricks.

Abbey - please try to understand that it's not just pro/anti anything there can be middle ground.

No Rovers fan is 100% Venky lover despite what you think. I am still completely amazed and gutted by the disaster they caused but if it was a simple as us fans picking someone else to sort it out, I'd be shouting for it as loud as anyone.

Unfortunately it's not. They certainly do not deserve any benefit of the doubt, but the situation would not be helped by throwing bricks.

EXACTLY my point.

Enjoy whinging? Enjoy go whinging ? Again I ask are you stupid ?

Everything the slumdogs have done (Rhodes apart ) has been whinge worthy .

Enjoy ? My blood pressure is knackered cause of them

Well then what is your reason for banging on about it?

You can't be trying to make sure everyone knows what they have done - we know.

You can't be trying to convince people they have made mistakes - we all agree.

You aren't changing anything that has been done and won't do.

You ask if I am stupid, surely doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results is the definition of stupidity and/or insanity.

Whinge - nothing changes. Whinge - nothing changes. Whinge - nothing changes.

May I suggest a look in the mirror?

May suggest a flight to Stockholm , they sell Pune versions of syndromes .

Tell them you are a fan of the great desai and I'm sure you will get a discount on chicken

Again I ask, what purpose does the constant banging on about old events serve?

A fan of Venkys I am not, a supporter of our club I am.

Doing nothing but whinging about old events that cannot be changed is pointless.

It's the same with Rhodes Haters.... Like anyone who supports Rovers could be a Rhodes hater! It's absolutely bizarre to even suggest it. There is more to just like/dislike!

Some people might have an opinion on a players overall merit but that's up to them! I love Rhodes but I reckon I'm probably faster at sprinting than him.

I bet if you had a pint with Barry Bizzleow, you wouldn't come across anything like on here.

Again I ask, what purpose does the constant banging on about old events serve? SO LET THEM KILL US

A fan of Venkys I am not, a supporter of our club I am. AND IM NOT?

Doing nothing but whinging about old events that cannot be changed is pointless. BET YOU WAS A BUNDLE OF LAUGHS AT ANFiELD & CARDIFF.

Well then what is your reason for banging on about it?

You can't be trying to make sure everyone knows what they have done - we know.

You can't be trying to convince people they have made mistakes - we all agree.

You aren't changing anything that has been done and won't do.

You ask if I am stupid, surely doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results is the definition of stupidity and/or insanity.

Whinge - nothing changes. Whinge - nothing changes. Whinge - nothing changes.

May I suggest a look in the mirror?

You should mention this to Venky's/Bowyer.

Again I ask, what purpose does the constant banging on about old events serve? SO LET THEM KILL US

A fan of Venkys I am not, a supporter of our club I am. AND IM NOT?

Doing nothing but whinging about old events that cannot be changed is pointless. BET YOU WAS A BUNDLE OF LAUGHS AT ANFiELD & CARDIFF.

"Let them kill us" - no, how about try and work on improving things. You would be great on the forum:

"Right so what would we like to see changed?"

"Venkys are crap"

"How do we improve that?"

"They have got us into debt you know"

"What should we improve?"

"We have got relegated since they took over"

"Have you anything you would like changing?"

"Venkys out"

"Can you buy them out or do you know someone who can do that?"

"Venkys are crap and should never have sacked Allardyce"

I never said you were not a fan, you obviously care about the club a lot, you just choose to spend your life whinging about it which is really constructive and productive, well done.

You should mention this to Venky's/Bowyer.

To be fair to the directors, the club is changing the way it works and reducing expenditure as well as debt.

Bowyer is doing an average job at best however, playing people out of position constantly just to prove they are versatile.

Ultimately they must carry the can. Their early mistakes have become monumental errors, regardless of who they were advised by or what that advice was the mess is their fault.

I think that is clear for everyone, my point is too many people are refusing to move on, I am 100% not saying forgive and forget at all but they are going nowhere and due to the amount of money someone would need to fill their boots (again their fault) its probably a good job they aren't doing a disappearing act.

Therefore we need to look forward and focus on what can be changed, the errors need correcting, we can't undo them so how to we all help to sort it. Simply saying it's their fault they should fix it is fine as an attitude if you don't care about the club, can forget about it and do something else.

We can't, this is our club and always will be so lets focus on trying to improve it.

I am not for one second saying we should forget what they have done, we should forgive them just because time has passed or even because of the good they have done in the town.

The damage has been done but we are in a marriage of convenience with little other options and a common goal, we can't lose sight of that. Working against each other will do nothing but harm.

Good post LATD, we all know why we are in the position we are in and we all feel 'cheated' out of PL football and a well run club. But, our owners must also realise the mistakes that have been made as its cost them a fortune and tarnished their name and yes it is their fault!

My greatest concern is the clubs existence, as without the financial support we receive we would fold in a very short period of time IMO.

I do not believe we have the fan base to launch a phoenix from the flames type revival.

This post will probably be branded as Rovers Fan or other derogatory phrase but the question that nobody can answer - if the owners leave - who will replace them? I have yet to see a credible alternative proposed. So if you pick this post up please feel free to post your plan for Rovers without the current owners.

Again - I know 'this once great club' feeling, hell fire I've been going since the sixties, and yes I feel bitter about what has happened but I have managed to accept our current situation and feel we are just beginning to sort the problems out - but I understand it will not be easy and it may get worse before it gets better.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN I'M HAPPY WITH WHAT'S HAPPENED!!!!

Forget the Walker years because Jack Walker's tenure was a once in a lifetime event if not longer, and the venkymob whilst not in the mould of lifelong fans like messrs Fox, Bancroft and Keighley do have more financial clout. In English football they and are out of their depth do seem to be behaving like rabbits in a car headlights.

Nice to see some mature, sensible discussion going on.

Abbey, what's your solution to all this then?

Not for the lack of trying. Some people prefer to moan and sulk about their spilt milk than attempt to clean it up unfortunately.

I just wish they would have got bored of doing it in the public domain by now. They might as well go and whinge to a brick wall for the good it does.

Forget the Walker years because Jack Walker's tenure was a once in a lifetime event if not longer, and the venkymob whilst not in the mould of lifelong fans like messrs Fox, Bancroft and Keighley do have more financial clout. In English football they and are out of their depth do seem to be behaving like rabbits in a car headlights.

Forgot our history ?does that mean all history gord ?

Not for the lack of trying. Some people prefer to moan and sulk about their spilt milk than attempt to clean it up unfortunately.

Some prefer to make love to the owd hag

Archived