BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Myers - director of communications

Tom

Leaving aside all the past disastrous decisions for a minute, it's becoming increasingly clear to me that they view the situation through a completely different lens to the fans, and especially to the vociferous posters on here.Things will only ever improve when the interests of the fans can be presented in a light that makes sense to them, hence the need to park the anger and work out how they see the world. The anger is just therapy, and a poor one at that, as expressing it on here has yet to make anyone less angry.

Like it or not, they are never going to appoint a fully empowered CEO, it's just not something they do given their decision-making process (if we can call it that). So, in that light, I can see how they thought/think Shaw fits their needs: local, has actually done it before, cheap (relatively), and took one for the owners with Berg. Given no power is devolved to Ewood, nor ever will be, why pay for someone more competent? So Shaw, or someone like him, has to be factored in.

Much of the angst about Bowyer is the perceived need to go up quick before they pull the plug financially. However, if they know they aren't going to pull the plug financially, then the points LATD made about keeping a Mr Stability who can shop in the bargain bin during FFP would make sense to them. However, the start to the season looks ominous and I have a feeling that should the Mr. Stability halo slip then Gary will be gone. They clearly have the funds to see the club through to a more financially stable set-up, and getting it all back via promotion is still one lucky season away, but it Div 1 starts to look remotely likely I think that will be a tipping point for them manager-wise.

I can understand your way of looking at it. However, in this case perhaps we will only see the true nature of their intentions when we are out of the embargo. If Bowyer is then kept on, what signal would that send you? And what then, if Bowyer continued to fail in what should undoubtedly be our aim of promotion and kept his job, whilst debts continued to rack up?

I believe the so-called stability is damaging us now and whilst some see Bowyer as a steady manager, I think he has proven himself so tactically naive that if we lose a couple of more players, we could certainly risk relegation. Last season IMO the team (particularly the front two) carried Bowyer and made up for his deficiencies, a weakened squad won't be able to.

Can't blame Myers for what's gone on. He seems to be in easy town, picking up his wage whilst seemingly being given nothing to do by Venky's. I do believe in his role however, that he should be actively looking to rectify communication and improve relations. He should be more open and in touch with fans, as should Venky's, if they want any chance of salvaging supporter relations.

As for Shaw, I do think he is the easy appointment for the Venky's, particularly if as you say he has no real power. The issue is, he has clearly been lax on his duties, however minimal they are. He's overseen a lot of sh*t go on at Ewood, and some of it has been directly as a result of his incompetence. An experienced, competent MD employed with real power and who runs the rule over the manager would be a refreshing change and would certainly improve fan relations. The whole set-up seems complacent and lacklustre and if there was someone on the ground fans could put faith in, it would mean the manager and staff wouldn't be so comfortable and might actually strive to do better.

Alas, this won't happen under Venky's. They seem happy with Shaw and Bowyer and the rest.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roy hodgson as manager, bryan kid as manager, not signing players of great quality simply because they where foriegn, struggled to adapt in the prem as it was evolving, its fair to say that in final 4 or 5 seasons of his life he made some pretty poor decisions at the club, he did make up for it though by bringing souness in at the right time, true shame he never got to see us promoted back up and win the worhingtons cup

Roy hodgson as manager, bryan kid as manager, not signing players of great quality simply because they where foriegn, its fair to say that in final 4 or 5 seasons of his life he made some pretty poor decisions,he did make up for it though by bringing souness n at the right time, true shame he never got to see us promoted back up and win the worhingtons cup

Both those managers were changed when it became obvious they didn't have what it takes, then more success, like I said he didn't @#/? it up

should have appointteed a real manager but your new mates knew best.

Not that i couldnt change my mind ....I WILL NEVER EVER CHANGE MY MIND

#VENKYSOUT

Sounds like you thought you knew best if you wanted Allardyce out. Still amazes me so many of our fans wanted him gone. Few lessons learnt there. Not as easy as it looks strolling about in the PL irritating the big boys with 20k fans.

Sounds like you thought you knew best if you wanted Allardyce out. Still amazes me so many of our fans wanted him gone. Few lessons learnt there. Not as easy as it looks strolling about in the PL irritating the big boys with 20k fans.

Are you suggesting the Rao's sacked SA because of the supporters ?

Are you suggesting the Rao's sacked SA because of the supporters ?

Does he suggest anything anywhere near that?

However personally I think it did probably give weight to Jerome / Kentaro's argument to Venkys to remove SA

Does he suggest anything anywhere near that?

However personally I think it did probably give weight to Jerome / Kentaro's argument to Venkys to remove SA

Nah, that was sorted out months before

I'll accept what LATD is saying. And if it's true about discreet support to the local area then that shows a touch of class which I thought was beyond them and is extremely admirable. Also, keeping a low profile is fine by me. But there's a middle ground. And if they know they'll get criticised for saying nothing or criticised for saying something. They should at least put out a written statement which could have been drafted and redrafted until it was deemed to be correct. All it had to express was an understanding of the situation we were in, a vague admission that they oversaw that demise, a statement about how far away they felt we were from complying with ffp (because let's be honest, when the news broke a couple of weeks ago that we could exit the embargo, nobody suspected that was the case) and also a reassurance that they had plans in place to make us competitive this season and continuing going forward.

What people took exception to was daft interviews about football which were from another planet.

I think most people understand they are naive and most people accept they were led a merry dance by some unsavoury characters. We don't expect them to set up twitter accounts or discuss the tactics each week. But there was a need to say something.

I'll accept what LATD is saying. And if it's true about discreet support to the local area then that shows a touch of class which I thought was beyond them and is extremely admirable. Also, keeping a low profile is fine by me. But there's a middle ground. And if they know they'll get criticised for saying nothing or criticised for saying something. They should at least put out a written statement which could have been drafted and redrafted until it was deemed to be correct. All it had to express was an understanding of the situation we were in, a vague admission that they oversaw that demise, a statement about how far away they felt we were from complying with ffp (because let's be honest, when the news broke a couple of weeks ago that we could exit the embargo, nobody suspected that was the case) and also a reassurance that they had plans in place to make us competitive this season and continuing going forward.

What people took exception to was daft interviews about football which were from another planet.

I think most people understand they are naive and most people accept they were led a merry dance by some unsavoury characters. We don't expect them to set up twitter accounts or discuss the tactics each week. But there was a need to say something.

Excellent post

There still is.

Then I guess we'll see if our communications director is earning his money stu. Because enough people have voiced it on here in the last few days.

Indeed. He really should be well in tune with the mood of the fans.

I guess the worry is the fifth columnists on here and/or the fans forum member who are enjoying their status and would like to keep the status quo may be feeding a different view from the silent majority.

The problem with a lot of Blackburners (and I am one) is that they like to moan and curse in private but in public they are very polite and accommodating, eager to please. I won't say two-faced as that's unfair but they do keep their true feelings confined to the safety of their inner circles.

I guess the worry is the fifth columnists on here and/or the fans forum member who are enjoying their status and would like to keep the status quo may be feeding a different view from the silent majority.

The problem with a lot of Blackburners (and I am one) is that they like to moan and curse in private but in public they are very polite and accommodating, eager to please. I won't say two-faced as that's unfair but they do keep their true feelings confined to the safety of their inner circles.

That's not exclusive to Blackburn Stu. Isn't that just the British way? And I suspect that same principle applies to those reporting to Pune from within the club itself. I don't imagine many high ranking staff dare say the dithering in India, for example, is costing us transfers. What's that old saying? You've got to learn to kiss arse before you can kick arse.

LATD - agree with you that looking backwards isn't going to help at this stage.

But are you seriously saying you're happy with them letting the club spiral downwards under the stewardship of Shaw and Bowyer? Do you not think we would be better off having a proper exec structure at the club?

Question: would Shaw ever recommend to the owners to sack Bowyer?

Fundamentally their business model will not work in football. Never had, never will. It creates people at Ewood just on the gravy train pulling the wool over the owners eyes (and some supporters).

Yesterday morning I was idly reading this thread before LATD and others made some excellent posts. I don't agree with all that's been said but it's a debate which needs to be had in mature manner rather than the polar opposites which some create - not you Stuart. Two thoughts struck me on the communication side.

I thought Myers had been ill for much of the past 12 months? Does anyone know if this is correct? If it is much of to criticism aimed at him is unfair. The other point is surely his role or "communications" is much wider ranging than communicating with the fan base?

The other point I was going to make yesterday is viewing it from the club and the Raos side I can understand why it could be seen as sensible to say very little. We've reached a stage on here and from what I read amongst the majority of supporters where any club statement is disbelieved, ridiculed and torn apart. The only person who does communicate, Bowyer, suffers this with every utterance but ultimately all he's giving us is the usual "manager speak" nonsense anyway.

I want the Raos to leave, I don't believe GB is good enough to win promotion or that our squad is good enough but I also know, for all the wrong reasons, we are currently reliant on both. I hadn't considered it before but it may well be Venkys are allowing the current management to steady the ship before pushing on. The two things which are clear is without Venkys funding Rovers would fail almost overnight and promotion is the only financial solution.

What I don't understand is why fans such as those on the FF are dismissed as above. I know or have known a number of FF members over the years. None are driven by self interest or status seeking. It's also worth mentioning here as it was raised by another poster the FF is not self elected nor does it claim to represent the fans in the manner being suggested in some posts. Anyone can ask to join the FF and perhaps the more vociferous critics should do so if they feel they can offer a better alternative?

For life of me I cannot understand, and this isn't directed at you Stuart it's a general point, why any fan who expresses any alternative view or who dares to be the slightest bit positive is dismissed as venkyite, venky lover, Rhodes hater etc. It's plainly ridiculous to dismiss people in this way and is similar to how the club must feel about communication.

Good post paul the fans forum does not represent the fans view just like the 20 posters on here calling for Mr Bowyers day in day out do not represent the ewood fanbase.At ewood on sat when wolves took the lead again with the handball goal.One riversider was going ballistic chasing the lino up and down from the concourse.Around me there were calls from rovers fans to have him thrown out.Nowt as funny as footy fans.

• Backroom

For life of me I cannot understand, and this isn't directed at you Stuart it's a general point, why any fan who expresses any alternative view or who dares to be the slightest bit positive is dismissed as venkyite, venky lover, Rhodes hater etc.

There are two reasons as far as I can see.

1) There are a number of "positive" posters who have a track record of winding people up and making very personal, sometimes nasty posts. There are people on the "negative" side who do this as well, but when you respond in kind (especially to people who haven't even been involved in these silly feuds) you end up sinking to the same level in terms of overall respect.

2) There are some people who post from a positive perspective and are willing to engage in genuine debate. There are a few however who simply ignore any well-constructed post that is aimed as a response, and instead pander to those who post one-liners or insults, as opposed to just ignoring them. Soon you end up back at point 1.

I do agree there needs to be more respect between posters, regardless of what they post, but some people simply cannot help themselves and it becomes difficult to differentiate between wind up merchants and genuine posters.

I don't live in the area anymore - is it known what they have done for local area?

Yesterday morning I was idly reading this thread before LATD and others made some excellent posts. I don't agree with all that's been said but it's a debate which needs to be had in mature manner rather than the polar opposites which some create - not you Stuart. Two thoughts struck me on the communication side.

I thought Myers had been ill for much of the past 12 months? Does anyone know if this is correct? If it is much of to criticism aimed at him is unfair. The other point is surely his role or "communications" is much wider ranging than communicating with the fan base?

The other point I was going to make yesterday is viewing it from the club and the Raos side I can understand why it could be seen as sensible to say very little. We've reached a stage on here and from what I read amongst the majority of supporters where any club statement is disbelieved, ridiculed and torn apart. The only person who does communicate, Bowyer, suffers this with every utterance but ultimately all he's giving us is the usual "manager speak" nonsense anyway.

I want the Raos to leave, I don't believe GB is good enough to win promotion or that our squad is good enough but I also know, for all the wrong reasons, we are currently reliant on both. I hadn't considered it before but it may well be Venkys are allowing the current management to steady the ship before pushing on. The two things which are clear is without Venkys funding Rovers would fail almost overnight and promotion is the only financial solution.

What I don't understand is why fans such as those on the FF are dismissed as above. I know or have known a number of FF members over the years. None are driven by self interest or status seeking. It's also worth mentioning here as it was raised by another poster the FF is not self elected nor does it claim to represent the fans in the manner being suggested in some posts. Anyone can ask to join the FF and perhaps the more vociferous critics should do so if they feel they can offer a better alternative?

For life of me I cannot understand, and this isn't directed at you Stuart it's a general point, why any fan who expresses any alternative view or who dares to be the slightest bit positive is dismissed as venkyite, venky lover, Rhodes hater etc. It's plainly ridiculous to dismiss people in this way and is similar to how the club must feel about communication.

I have my own thoughts about the FF but I'll keep them to myself in the interests of harmony.

We need Venkys to be accountable. At the moment we have no idea about their future intentions. We don't really want statements of intent, we want evidence of intent. At the moment the evidence is that the are just going to let the club stagnate but pick up the tab until such time as we have a playing squad which matches our income.

This in itself creates a problem. Venkys involvement with our club will have been to permanently turn what was potentially a break even PL club (with the new PL money and a decent manager, and excellent board) into one which will break even in League One (has been stung by FFP, preventing another Jack even being a possibility). They have turned us from a club with ambition and pride into another Crewe or Rochdale who will serve as a feeder for other clubs that do. Just have a look at the League One fixtures, anyone, there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't expect to be amongst those names next season.

How on earth can we be happy with that? They must do everything they can to either sell up to someone who is prepared to rebuild or at least hand over the club administration, management, and - crucially - the football decision making, to people who are up to the task.

If our future is to be mediocre then it can only be accepted if those who brought us that mediocrity are cleansed from the club.

If our future is not to be mediocre then we need to replace those who are now keeping it so.

I have my own thoughts about the FF but I'll keep them to myself in the interests of harmony.

We need Venkys to be accountable. At the moment we have no idea about their future intentions. We don't really want statements of intent, we want evidence of intent. At the moment the evidence is that the are just going to let the club stagnate but pick up the tab until such time as we have a playing squad which matches our income.

This in itself creates a problem. Venkys involvement with our club will have been to permanently turn what was potentially a break even PL club (with the new PL money and a decent manager, and excellent board) into one which will break even in League One (has been stung by FFP, preventing another Jack even being a possibility). They have turned us from a club with ambition and pride into another Crewe or Rochdale who will serve as a feeder for other clubs that do. Just have a look at the League One fixtures, anyone, there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't expect to be amongst those names next season.

How on earth can we be happy with that? They must do everything they can to either sell up to someone who is prepared to rebuild or at least hand over the club administration, management, and - crucially - the football decision making, to people who are up to the task.

If our future is to be mediocre then it can only be accepted if those who brought us that mediocrity are cleansed from the club.

If our future is not to be mediocre then we need to replace those who are now keeping it so.

Think you nailed it there Stuart

Great post Stuart.

Jack Walker's motto 'Think Big' is sadly lost amidst the small-time 'pragmatism' of so many Rovers' supporters. The vast majority of the 'we are where we are' brigade did precisely zero when it became apparent we were all being taken for a ride back in 2011.

Whether it would have made a jot of difference if they had stood up against the regime is debatable, but it does stick in the craw to have them now preaching from the mount about 'cutting our cloth' etc.

Good post. Only thing I disagree with is the highlighted bit. We won't break even in League One, not unless Brockhall and the academy are sold off/stripped down. Might as well put a price tag on Ewood whilst we're at it.

We have Prem facilities that can not be supported without Prem money. A fact that escapes some who are happy to accept the Championship as our 'rightful place'.

Archived