BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

It's easy to fire managers, but much more difficult to hire a good replacement.

Supposing we hire McKay, Moyes, Holloway, McCarthy or any of the "experienced" managers that get bandied around here like bandaids. What happens if they fail to take us up? Sack them again and hire yet another "experienced" manager?

This whole culture of fire and hire is detrimental to long-term success. Leiceister City stuck with Nigel Pearson for three seasons. THREE seasons. Look at how he repaid their faith - Leiceister is top right now. Last season, Burnley fans were calling for Dyche's head and wanting him out. What happened? He took them to second and got them promoted, and even beat us after 35 years.

Sometimes, it's best to rely on stability and keep the faith rather than demand a change whenever a manager falls short of expectations. Hire and fire isn't the best solution - look at Manchester United's success when compared to Manchester City or Chelsea. Chelsea would have been more successful if Mourinho had stayed there for another 4 years rather than leave for Inter Milan, Real Mandrid, etc.

Difference is Leicester can afford to be patient for 3 years. I suspect (on strong evidence, from what we can see) that Rovers haven't got 3 years. 3 years from now the financial situation will be so dire we'll be happy if we're still a Championship club.

Added to which his tactical nativity - the same mistakes, being the bugbear not mistakes, the terrible excuses,the lowering of ambition, and having a go at fans, all suggest that given time Bowyer won't get much better.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unreasonable expectation is massive on here! The unforeseen legacy of a spoilt generation effectively produced by Jack Walkers millions. Us older ones know the rightful place of BRFC in footballs hierarchy.

In the highly unlikely event of us making the play offs, what if we lose the semi with a whimper?

Surely in some ways that would be worse than just missing out on them?

You've been very consistent up to now but I don't really understand your logic here

Nor me yours marton. Three teams will fail the play off test. It happens every year.

Unreasonable expectation is massive on here! The unforeseen legacy of a spoilt generation effectively produced by Jack Walkers millions. Us older ones know the rightful place of BRFC in footballs hierarchy.

Nor me yours marton. Three teams will fail the play off test. It happens every year.

Its not unreasonable expectation, it is the poor standard of this league. Several times this season we have got ourselves in a position to achieve the playoffs only to put in very bad performances and fall short. For one reason or another this keeps happening. How many chances do we require to get in the playoffs. I know the fact we are still in with a chance says that several other teams' fans will be asking the same.

Getting into the playoffs and losing in a whimper is no better than not getting into the playoffs in a whimper but promotion would ease a lot of the financial pressure so we must aim high.

A lot of fans are unsure if our financial state is sustainable in this league. Under normal circumstances I believe many would be happy to ignore Bowyers lesser qualities.

That and the carrot of promotion has been dangled so many times this season, yet we've still not had a bite of top six, it's led to perhaps more frustration than if we hadn't been in with a chance at all.

I voted to replace Bowyer in the summer originally but I'm now thinking he's more than done enough to be given another season in charge.

He's gotten rid of the high earners, brought in decent replacements and had us on the brink of a play off berth. At any other club it would be seen as a successful season and I think he deserves to try and finish of the job he started.

You part time great galloollah, Gav! 😄

Its not unreasonable expectation, it is the poor standard of this league. Several times this season we have got ourselves in a position to achieve the playoffs only to put in very bad performances and fall short. For one reason or another this keeps happening. How many chances do we require to get in the playoffs. I know the fact we are still in with a chance says that several other teams' fans will be asking the same.

I suggest that is an indication of the high standard of this Division. There aren't many 'bad' teams are there? It's a lot more unpredictable than the Premier League for starters which is a massive plus point. Logic dictates that many of the players plodding around the Championship nowadays would have played full time in the Prem 20 years ago.

That and the carrot of promotion has been dangled so many times this season, yet we've still not had a bite of top six, it's led to perhaps more frustration than if we hadn't been in with a chance at all.

No wonder and rightly so. Whilst the season has been frustrating the fact remains that with two games left we are still in contention.

Jusrt as an aside how would you have marketed it at Christmas Booth? "Roll up. Roll up and get yourselves a half ST cos it looks like we are going to stay up"?

I voted to replace Bowyer in the summer originally but I'm now thinking he's more than done enough to be given another season in charge.

He's gotten rid of the high earners, brought in decent replacements and had us on the brink of a play off berth. At any other club it would be seen as a successful season and I think he deserves to try and finish of the job he started.

:rolleyes:

Admirable of you to own up Gav cos not many on here would do. BUT... You are making a habit of being totally wrong about the ability of our Managers aren't you Gav?

So you've changed your mind after one result?

Flippity floppity floop!

I suggest that is an indication of the high standard of this Division. There aren't many 'bad' teams are there? It's a lot more unpredictable than the Premier League for starters which is a massive plus point. Logic dictates that many of the players plodding around the Championship nowadays would have played full time in the Prem 20 years ago.

Disagree because how many times have you left Ewood this season thinking what a great football match. The majority of the time, I've left thinking how poor the opposition were and at times that's taking into consideration we've made them look better by the standard of our performance.

Are you trying to say that football served up now is that much better than 20 years ago when we one of the two best teams in the premiership. I actually think that the majority of the present championship players would have plying their trade at a lower level 20 years ago.

Disagree because how many times have you left Ewood this season thinking what a great football match. The majority of the time, I've left thinking how poor the opposition were and at times that's taking into consideration we've made them look better by the standard of our performance.

Are you trying to say that football served up now is that much better than 20 years ago when we one of the two best teams in the premiership. I actually think that the majority of the present championship players would have plying their trade at a lower level 20 years ago.

Well you'd be wrong wouldn't you? I was actually referring to the Championship but by definition the standard of the Prem is much higher now than it was then.

I'd have thought that it was blindingly obvious that since the inception of the Prem we now have circa 65% players imported from overseas plying their trade in the top division and quite a few in the Championship too. This factor on it's own has 'relegated' home bred players to the lower leagues, 25 years ago and the likes of Cairney, Gestede, Handley, Conway, Evans etc would have been plying their trade for Villa / Soton / Coventry in the top divison.

Not being funny but how old are you?

Well you'd be wrong wouldn't you? I was actually referring to the Championship but by definition the standard of the Prem is much higher now than it was then.

I'd have thought that it was blindingly obvious that since the inception of the Prem we now have circa 65% players imported from overseas plying their trade in the top division and quite a few in the Championship too. This factor on it's own has 'relegated' home bred players to the lower leagues, 25 years ago and the likes of Cairney, Gestede, Handley, Conway, Evans etc would have been plying their trade for Villa / Soton / Coventry in the top divison.

Not being funny but how old are you?

You've really swallowed the Sky bull haven't you.

I accept that a few championship players may have made the lower premier of 20 years ago and the teams that yoyo'd between the premiership and championship but the vast majority wouldn't get near. After watching the last two seasons the vast majority cannot pass to one or another, ball retention is dire.

BTW isn't Gestede foreign as well so how can a foreigner preventing him from getting in the premiership? Simple answer is that the Cardiff management did not deem him good enough.

What's age got to do with anything? I'm old enough to witness 3rd and 2nd tier football and the vast majority was better than what is on offer now.

You are being completely illogical. 65%+ of the Prem are currently foreigners and if squad sizes are roughly equal then before they rockwed up their places would have been filled from the next division down and so on. Why can't you grasp that?

You are being completely illogical. 65%+ of the Prem are currently foreigners and if squad sizes are roughly equal then before they rockwed up their places would have been filled from the next division down and so on. Why can't you grasp that?

So championship players dont sign foreign players?

It does not matter the nationality of players. The standard of play is crap and as such promotion was a serious possibility which we are still looking like passing up. Two of the main reasons I think is fitness and tactical ineptness of which the manager has to take the blame for.

Unreasonable expectation is massive on here! The unforeseen legacy of a spoilt generation effectively produced by Jack Walkers millions. Us older ones know the rightful place of BRFC in footballs hierarchy.Nor me yours marton. Three teams will fail the play off test. It happens every year.

There's nothing unreasonable about expecting your team to show intent to win a game against bottom of the league at home.

There's nothing unreasonable about being unhappy with a manager who has a pop at fans.

My logic about the play offs is sound - make a decent fist of it and lose = acceptable.

Get slaughtered or play to 'protect a draw' = not acceptable.

I've not changed my mind after one result, not sure how anyone has come to that conclusion??

I've been consistent all along in that I don't believe Bowyer has the credentials to take us up, but his achievements this season alone means the guy deserves to be given a chance and I'm sure the club will give him that chance so it's better to get behind him rather than hammer him. A concept lost on the 'Footballer Manager 2014' types on here.

Admirable of you to own up Gav cos not many on here would do. BUT... You are making a habit of being totally wrong about the ability of our Managers aren't you Gav?

I'm still of the opinion Bowyer won't take us up, but he deserves to be given a chance.

As for managers abilities, didn't you champion a certain Paul Ince? Even I wanted Allardyce above Ince!! Or didn't want Hughes?

I've not changed my mind after one result, not sure how anyone has come to that conclusion??

I've been consistent all along in that I don't believe Bowyer has the credentials to take us up, but his achievements this season alone means the guy deserves to be given a chance and I'm sure the club will give him that chance so it's better to get behind him rather than hammer him. A concept lost on the 'Footballer Manager 2014' types on here.

I'm still of the opinion Bowyer won't take us up, but he deserves to be given a chance.

As for managers abilities, didn't you champion a certain Paul Ince? Even I wanted Allardyce above Ince!!

So he won't take us up but lets give him a shot anyway? I'm not following that at all. We NEED to go up, finances dictate this, so surely if you don't believe he can do it, then another must be brought in?

Theno didn't want Ince, that's why he took up golf.

So he won't take us up but lets give him a shot anyway? I'm not following that at all. We NEED to go up, finances dictate this, so surely if you don't believe he can do it, then another must be brought in?

Look at what he's achieved this season Maj, I thought we'd be mid table at best. Surely he deserves a second season with a settled side, doesn't he?

Look at the managerial selection 'process' thus far under confused of Pune, do you think they'll be able to bring in a decent replacement? I certainly don't, so that's another reason to stick with Bowyer.

There's nothing unreasonable about expecting your team to show intent to win a game against bottom of the league at home.

There's nothing unreasonable about being unhappy with a manager who has a pop at fans.

My logic about the play offs is sound - make a decent fist of it and lose = acceptable.

Get slaughtered or play to 'protect a draw' = not acceptable.

I'd echo all that too.

Far too many times this season we have let inferior teams take points off us because we dropped deep and sat back.

Well at least the argument that a manager needs time has been blown away. How many times have we heard that clubs should take Man Utd's example of how they didn't sack Ferguson when they could have done?

Look at what he's achieved this season Maj, I thought we'd be mid table at best. Surely he deserves a second season with a settled side, doesn't he?

Look at the managerial selection 'process' thus far under confused of Pune, do you think they'll be able to bring in a decent replacement? I certainly don't, so that's another reason to stick with Bowyer.

My expectations were the same for this year as last. We need to go up, so anything other than promotion is failure as our club needs that 100m to compensate for the last 3 years.

i have no opinion either way on GB, however last year with 5 managers and SS and everyone else around we finished pretty much in the same place as 1 manager and stability has achieved. So for me the only real difference is the journey and all I care about is the end game. The last few years have been hard for all of us and I can see the appeal this year has brought to many, the journey has been better, no doubt. But i worry how long our debts will be serviced, as the Roa's have a track record of killing off companies they have invested in ala the biggest bollywood studio in indian history. Now whether or not that is a situation we could face who knows but our debt must be some 125M or so by now and our income declines year on year currently, without the fanbase to see us through. How long before office staff get sacked etc etc as most clubs at this level and of our fanbase work with skeleton crews. I hope GB can pull of a miracle and sneak us in and up this year, yes we look a better team but we keep stumbling at key moments. I would be right behind him if we knew he was rectifying the errors and mistakes of this season (tactics, fitness, subs etc) but I highlighted well before anyone else and now it's all people are talking about. I also am not happy at recent comments from club and LT about the fans. Throughout this whole saga of years now, the fans have been there and endured, suffered and tolerated, with the majority walking away for good and now it's our fault. All i can truly say at this point is the club is no longer the club I fell in love with and that pains me. As I said I hope GB can achieve these goals it is the best solution all round, we'll see.

I can't really argue with any of that, I feel the same way on most points you've made. But as supporters we can't do anything about the finances of the club, I've come to terms with that over the course of this season.

Bowyer has without doubt cost us points this season with his negative approach and trying to defend leads, but he's a rookie manager learning his trade so mistakes are bound to happen. Is he learning from them? I'm sure he is, although it's been disappointing to lose points in the manner we have of late.

In the highly unlikely event of us making the play offs, what if we lose the semi with a whimper?

Surely in some ways that would be worse than just missing out on them?

You've been very consistent up to now but I don't really understand your logic here.

I know what your saying but I'm just trying to be fair to the man... I've always said it's about getting us into the playoffs, if he does that then he's earned the right to have another go as I could accept that as progress.

i just don't see how the club can afford to finance the sacking of Bowyer, the appointment of a more experienced and expensive replacement and then shape the squad his way.

I thought Bowyer was on a rolling contract? No payoff necessary?

Archived