BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly looking Suss

I love the betting conspiracy theory. Does that mean every manager we've had since Kean has been involved? Because they've all been suspect, in their own right, when it comes to winning matches. Or, here's an idea, maybe the one thing they have in common is they're all grossly inexperienced at football management?

I love the betting conspiracy theory. Does that mean every manager we've had since Kean has been involved? Because they've all been suspect, in their own right, when it comes to winning matches. Or, here's an idea, maybe the one thing they have in common is they're all grossly inexperienced at football management?

Or just plain useless and clueless.

Allardyce sacking. ? Appleton appointing ? What's that got to do with experience ?

• Backroom

You'd think it would be the opposite but today has solidified my belief that if we don't go up and IF (and its a massive if) we can attract someone of a decent calibre I would appoint them in summer

It was a great result overall but once again the manager indicates that tactically he isn't sharp enough, we make subs and they nearly always either do nothing or negatively impact the game

My first choice would still be to bring someone like mike Phelan in to help him but can't see that being an option

It may seem incredibly harsh in the circumstances but next season may be all or nothing

So they had the ability but left for other reasons? Good enough but didn't for whatever reason, just really supports my point, they were good enough or had the ability just didn't do it. The question is and always has been has GB got the managerial ability to get us promoted.

I think the worlds really quite simple Tyrone, it's us or humans that make it complicated, just like science.

I agree, football's a simple game. I remember watching Utd reserves just before their gang of kids made the breakthrough. Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Neville were all playing but Keith Gillespie played out wide and he looked twice the player any of the others were.

I voted to replace Bowyer in the summer originally but I'm now thinking he's more than done enough to be given another season in charge.

He's gotten rid of the high earners, brought in decent replacements and had us on the brink of a play off berth. At any other club it would be seen as a successful season and I think he deserves to try and finish of the job he started.

I voted to replace Bowyer in the summer originally but I'm now thinking he's more than done enough to be given another season in charge.

He's gotten rid of the high earners, brought in decent replacements and had us on the brink of a play off berth. At any other club it would be seen as a successful season and I think he deserves to try and finish of the job he started.

1 WIN AND YOU'RE WILLING TO PUT UP WITH ANOTHER SEASON OF LOWE.WILLIAMSON.HENLEY. YEOVIL.S.WEDENESDAY ECT ECT ECT

Collaborator Collaborator Collaborator Collaborator Collaborator

I would sign Moyes in a heartbeat not that I think he would come. His track record at Everton was outstanding and he would be manic to prove everybody wrong.

Don't like him, could never forgive his defence of Kean and attacks on us but despite all of that it's about getting the Club out of this division and he WOULD DO THAT.

Sorry Abbey ( and for stealing your caps!)

I find it hard to understand how some people are willing to forgive mistakes made by players such as Rochina and blame them on inexperience, yet the same logic doesn't seem to apply to Bowyer in the managers position. In management terms he is the equivalent of a youth team player making the step up to first team football.

I can't sit and defend him to the hilt because he has made mistakes. Going after the supporters is niaive and won't do him any favours. And all too often he sets us up to contain and puts the emphasis on what the opposition can hurt us with rather than how we can hurt them. It has become very frustrating, but i can't shake this feeling that we might have the makings of a decent young side here. I'm not suggesting we could run away with the league next season, but i'd fancy with a couple of shrewd signings we could be playoff material. I fear a managerial change would set us back another year.

I find it hard to understand how some people are willing to forgive mistakes made by players such as Rochina and blame them on inexperience, yet the same logic doesn't seem to apply to Bowyer in the managers position. In management terms he is the equivalent of a youth team player making the step up to first team football.

I can't sit and defend him to the hilt because he has made mistakes. Going after the supporters is niaive and won't do him any favours. And all too often he sets us up to contain and puts the emphasis on what the opposition can hurt us with rather than how we can hurt them. It has become very frustrating, but i can't shake this feeling that we might have the makings of a decent young side here. I'm not suggesting we could run away with the league next season, but i'd fancy with a couple of shrewd signings we could be playoff material. I fear a managerial change would set us back another year.

Some interesting points. I agree with your first one particularly.

I see your point with regards to changing managers and it setting us back but the problem is that this league will be much harder to get out of next season than this season. With that in mind it could be even more important to appoint someone with experience of promotion rather than crossing your fingers for someone who may miss out on it this year. If he can get us in the playoffs this season, even if we fail once we're there, I'd be more than happy to see him have another crack.

I see your point with regards to changing managers and it setting us back but the problem is that this league will be much harder to get out of next season than this season. With that in mind it could be even more important to appoint someone with experience of promotion rather than crossing your fingers for someone who may miss out on it this year. If he can get us in the playoffs this season, even if we fail once we're there, I'd be more than happy to see him have another crack.

I know exactly what you mean Neal. But we just seem to find ourselves between a rock and a hard place. Your logic should have been applied last summer by our inept owners. That was the time to go for a wise old head who had been there and done it. With more cut backs on the horizon i just don't see how the club can afford to finance the sacking of Bowyer, the appointment of a more experienced and expensive replacement and then shape the squad his way. I can't help but think crossing our fingers might be all we've got left.

Somebody (Tom maybe?) mentioned earlier that an experienced assistant might be the way to go. That might be a great move. Someone with the savy to shut up shop when we're 3-2 up against Brighton or 3-1 up against Sheff Wed and such like. Those extra 4 points would have made the world of difference to our season. But it would undermine Bowyer and i couldn't see him going for it.

It's easy to fire managers, but much more difficult to hire a good replacement.

Supposing we hire McKay, Moyes, Holloway, McCarthy or any of the "experienced" managers that get bandied around here like bandaids. What happens if they fail to take us up? Sack them again and hire yet another "experienced" manager?

This whole culture of fire and hire is detrimental to long-term success. Leiceister City stuck with Nigel Pearson for three seasons. THREE seasons. Look at how he repaid their faith - Leiceister is top right now. Last season, Burnley fans were calling for Dyche's head and wanting him out. What happened? He took them to second and got them promoted, and even beat us after 35 years.

Sometimes, it's best to rely on stability and keep the faith rather than demand a change whenever a manager falls short of expectations. Hire and fire isn't the best solution - look at Manchester United's success when compared to Manchester City or Chelsea. Chelsea would have been more successful if Mourinho had stayed there for another 4 years rather than leave for Inter Milan, Real Mandrid, etc.

In the highly unlikely event of us making the play offs, what if we lose the semi with a whimper?

Surely in some ways that would be worse than just missing out on them?

You've been very consistent up to now but I don't really understand your logic here.

When I heard the result yesterday, (working), I honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cry after the disappointment and anger of Friday.

For me it doesn't make everything alright, particularly the 'protect a point' mentality against bottom of the league at home.

I think the league will be stronger next season and we we be 'flirting with the play offs' again under the current regime.

Archived