BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

But everybody except Leicester in this Div will be envious of Dyche. There is only 1 and rem if there were 23 still only two would be promoted and 3 would be relegated.

All this is talk after the event is just daft. Hindsight is wonderful isn't it?

1. Who on here is prepared to say they thought hand on heart that we would get promoted this season? I didn't.

Most would not have thought it likely so why the recriminations when we haven't been? Hardly been a massive failure then has he? I'd suggest that Arry has been one of the worst performers gauged against expectancy. Freedman and McDermott too. Suffice to say that many on here cast envious eyes toward them last year.

2 . Who would have envied Burnley their manager and been prepared to swap Bowyer for him last summer? I wouldn't.

Now come on...... and be honest!

I assess Bowyer on his managerial record and overall tactics/team selection. I have seen many teams this season that have been there for the taking if we had applied an attacking mentality. Bowyer persists on playing defensive even when it is obvious that a more attack-minded attitude would bring more points. Those and a lot more reasons are why Bowyer should not have his contract renewed.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trouble with Bowyer as far as I can tell is that he earned respect initially by being sincere, frank and self-effacing. No bull and no shortage of empathy for the supporters. I don't think too many were under the illusion that he'd suddenly make us an all-conquering outfit this season as Dyche has Burnley, but that was tempered by the fact that he was appreciably a trustworthy bloke of principal who, lets be fair, saved us from the indignity of successive relegations last campaign.

However.......

It has reached the point now whereby I actually find not just the contents of his post match "insights" irritating, but more so the fact that he has freewheeled into the irksome territory that Kean did where reality is suspended; and the man representing Rovers on the rock-face has once more jerry-built a facade so false that it is undermining the affections of yet more from a stadium that is already as empty as the Rao's heads. Blinkered gratification and wilful defiance of the facts are not what I want to hear from the Rovers manager, even less so after a black hole in footballing basics that was insult enough without the spiteful swiping of a man scarcely qualified to sugar-coat such poor fair. With just 3 fixtures remaining or "to be fulfilled" if you look through the prosaic eyes of GB, it is beyond my fathom why you would opt against putting a lowly Yeovil to the sword and instead actively seek to protect a barely beneficial point. But alas, if you are to judge his job security through his post-match comments it has to be said that he has assumed a level of ease and self-satisfaction that his personality is in my view ill-suited to do. Then again thats the Rao's for you. They wouldn't recognise a decent manager if it was sat in the dugout hence the sacking of Allardyce, loyalty to Kean and endorsement of the tenderfeet of Berg and Appleton.

As the shadows lengthened on Friday we looked less and less likely to score and GB as ever resembled a cold daguerrotype. He has had good steady backing from the owners and supporters and remarkably failed to ingratiate himself with many and continuing to condemn those who attend is just exceptionally silly. Im not yet in the "Sack" camp by any means but I can't abide the notion that we cant expect better. Yes much of GB's work has been worthy of gratitude and he's done well to heal some of the ballistic trauma and general maltreatment that the club has suffered, but to elevate him as if he's as resourceful as Admirable Crichton - when he's signed just shy of two-teams-worth of players - and just submit to the party line that the club is performing at the peak of its powers, because of the variety of lows we've suffered in recent times, is in my view defeatist. People are right to be cautious with regard to the Rao's track record of recruiting managers, that doesn't make GB infallible though and when he and his players deliver performances like that and he makes remarks like he did, they become fair game for scrutiny from those who have sacrificed time and money on a precious Bank Holiday to sit through it. "Push for promotion"? The only thing they're pushing is their luck

Really enjoyed reading this. It's so good to see that the misery and frustration of the last few years continues to stimulate much wit and humour. It helps-well almost!

I do agree about the fallacious "notion" and the" party line" that we have no right to expect better than this.

The only part that I might question( or offer an alternative possibility) is that Bowyer's comments may actually reflect his increasing concern about his job, rather than complacency? After one game( Watford?) he sounded distraught.

Admiral Crichton Lol...Kenneth More's Blue and White Army!

But everybody except Leicester in this Div will be envious of Dyche. There is only 1 and rem if there were 23 still only two would be promoted and 3 would be relegated.

1. Who on here is prepared to say they thought hand on heart that we would get promoted this season? I didn't.

Most would not have thought it likely so why the recriminations when we haven't been? Hardly been a massive failure then has he? I'd suggest that Arry has been one of the worst performers gauged against expectancy. Freedman and McDermott too. Suffice to say that many on here cast envious eyes toward them last year.

2 . Who would have envied Burnley their manager and been prepared to swap Bowyer for him last summer? I wouldn't.

Completely and utterly irrelevant.

Liverpool fans I'm sure will be just as philosophical should they lose the title from this position.

However, you have highlighted a big problem. This is exactly the logic Bowyer has used time and time again when we have under-performed on the day. "Well, before the match, we would have been happy with a draw" or "Well, Yeovil got a point off Leicester". It's just an excuse. You can, and must, play/beat what's in front if you. If you don't, you have to look at it as an opportunity missed.

A bit like our season.

I would have accepted coming third in 1995 Gord.

The only part that I might question( or offer an alternative possibility) is that Bowyer's comments may actually reflect his increasing concern about his job, rather than complacency? After one game( Watford?) he sounded distraught.

The trouble is that by not trying to win against Yeovil he has not only blown the play-offs but he may have blown tenth. The top half of the league is that tight.

Every managers and team get a bit of grumbles and stick from their crowd from time to time. Dingles self styled super support were booing not long ago when they drew nil nil at home to Watford I think it was. Dyche scratched his head in a puzzled way then just got on with it. You know that a disgruntled crowd like ours is always one bad effort away from understandably moaning. It's not only us that do it so why is he being so mard about it ? It goes with the turf, yes a young team need all the help they can get but it's all part of the learning curve anyway. My own opinion of GB is that if the crowd did turn on him he'd be gone pretty soon which I'd hate to see and couldn't condone. So why give them ammunition 'Gaz' lad.

Every managers and team get a bit of grumbles and stick from their crowd from time to time. Dingles self styled super support were booing not long ago when they drew nil nil at home to Watford I think it was. Dyche scratched his head in a puzzled way then just got on with it. You know that a disgruntled crowd like ours is always one bad effort away from understandably moaning. It's not only us that do it so why is he being so mard about it ? It goes with the turf, yes a young team need all the help they can get but it's all part of the learning curve anyway. My own opinion of GB is that if the crowd did turn on him he'd be gone pretty soon which I'd hate to see and couldn't condone. So why give them ammunition 'Gaz' lad.

At this rate there'll be no crowd left to turn on him.

Friday as a whole was a terrible advert for the Club.

At this rate there'll be no crowd left to turn on him.

Friday as a whole was a terrible advert for the Club.

It was poor for sure but no worse than plenty other stuff this season, pretty standard stuff for this team and manager. I think back to Sheff Wed at home on 26 Dec, a chance to kick on against a poorer team, a performance lacking any urgency from the start and little quality and no ideas. Almost 4 months down the line yet still almost exactly the same and plenty similar inbetween :(

Our main problem this year has been a weak midfield that can't cope with the in-your-face teams that are so common in the Championship. This gives teams a clear run at the defence which all too often resorts to panic mode by diving into tackles or just hoofing the ball away. The result of this is more pressure and penalties given away. Also we have absolutely no pace at all unless King is playing. I agree with Bowyer that the team is a work in progress but I'm not sure he really knows how to complete the job.

It was poor for sure but no worse than plenty other stuff this season, pretty standard stuff for this team and manager. I think back to Sheff Wed at home on 26 Dec, a chance to kick on against a poorer team, a performance lacking any urgency from the start and little quality and no ideas. Almost 4 months down the line yet still almost exactly the same and plenty similar inbetween :(

tbh I was impressed with Wednesday that day.

Certainly looking Suss

Can we have the real venky hating Gordon back .. This about turn is scary

Indeed you can...... just as soon as alternative funding is in place. :tu: Most important that! At the moment with no safety net in place the 'venky out' brigade are just turkeys voting for christmas. When I wanted em gone we were still drawing a million pounds per week from the Premier League.

Certainly looking Suss

Can we have the real venky hating Gordon back .. This about turn is scary

btw Just as an aside Abbey cos this is weird....... how is it that despite being a 'haters gonna hate' type re: the venkys that you desperately wanted to see them at the Yeovil match whilst I'm not fussed if they never watch another match and I never see them at Ewood again?

The trouble is that by not trying to win against Yeovil he has not only blown the play-offs but he may have blown tenth. The top half of the league is that tight.

To reply to what you said yesterday; that I think you have an agenda! Ofcourse I don't think you do, I just think your a frustrated fan like the rest of us.

Saying we weren't trying to win though is a bit far off the mark though. Only example of preservation to me was not letting Robbo go up for the corner.

Err, not true. There's been plenty of players with bags of ability that have drifted out of the game. It's a lot more complicated than that.

So they had the ability but left for other reasons? Good enough but didn't for whatever reason, just really supports my point, they were good enough or had the ability just didn't do it. The question is and always has been has GB got the managerial ability to get us promoted.

I think the worlds really quite simple Tyrone, it's us or humans that make it complicated, just like science.

Archived