BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 1994/95 Title Winning Squad - Managerial Curse?!

Is there a curse on all the players from our title winning squad who go on to become managers? Started to wonder last night as I saw Sherwood's long face on the touchline

consider the evidence...

Shearer - took his beloved home town club down. Managerial career over

Flowers - managed one club (Stafford Rangers), resigned after 9 games

Hendry - sacked from Blackpool, resigned from Clyde. Managerial career over

Berg - sacked as Blackburn Rovers manager with an abysmal record as manager

Newell - Failed at Hartlepool, unlucky at Luton. Sacked from Grimsby. Hasn't managed since 2009

Marker - manages non-league Ivybridge Town, 10th level of English football

Sutton - only managed Lincoln City, resigned in 2010. Hasn't worked since

Atkins - manages non league Matlock Town, seventh tier of English football

Sherwood - likely to be sacked from Spurs at the end of this season

Newell was pretty good, wasn't he? He just made himself unemployable with all the bungs allegations and legal stuff - not a great idea for his career in such an insular business.

Has there ever been a squad that produced multiple successful managers? The odds seem stacked against it.

I think Newell had a shocking record barring a good season or two at one club, plus he was stuck in the stone ages with his attitude.

Sherwood will make a good manager once he winds his neck in and gets some experience at a lower level.

Marker - manages non-league Ivybridge Town, 10th level of English football

Sshhh. Shebby might be reading!

Personally I would go for Sherwood if he becomes available at the end of the season.

His tub-thumping approach is no motivation to the kinds of players on Spurs books - although he seems to have done well re-motivating Adebeyor - but I reckon he would be good in the championship, especially with a young squad like we've got.

He's about as close as you could get to the Souness mould in 2014.

Sherwood would be a disaster in my view and after our experience with rookie managers over the past 3 years calls for him to be become Rovers manager do not make any sense. Just because he is a former Rovers player does not mean he would be any good, as Henning Berg proved. If Sherwood had not been a former Rovers player, fans would not want him anywhere near the club. Sherwood the new Souness ? Pass the smelling salts please.

Sherwood won't succeed whilst he wears his heart on his sleeve in public and is subject to massive tantrums. He wont command any sort of respect from anyone and certainly not from his players. I thought that he had more oil in his lamp than he is showing and I am really am surprised that he is being so naive. He has become a loose cannon and I cant see Levy tolerating it for very long.

Levy doesn't tolerate anyone for long. He hires and fires at the drop of a hat, sanctions idiotic spending in the transfer market and is the reason why Spurs continue to underperform (not that I am lamenting this as I cannot abide the club or its supporters). The man is a buffoon while the "new Souness" won't last the summer.

Levy doesn't tolerate anyone for long. He hires and fires at the drop of a hat, sanctions idiotic spending in the transfer market and is the reason why Spurs continue to underperform (not that I am lamenting this as I cannot abide the club or its supporters). The man is a buffoon while the "new Souness" won't last the summer.

Levy on record is one of the best chairman in the league. He has kept Spurs compeitive despite not having anywhere near the resources of the CL clubs. Sure he has signed some real turkeys (both players and managers) however they regularly turn a transfer profit, and they have one of the best squads in the league. What they need is a good manager who could work with Levy like Redknapp could. Not sure who that is...

Sherwood is a goner though. Looks so out of his depth. When people resort to the sort of public outbursts he has it belies a lack of ideas and control.

Very odd post, stating he is "one of the best chairmen in the league" and then saying he has "signed some real turkeys". Levy patently couldn't work with Redknapp either - he sacked him. Spurs fans are quite rightly asking about the £80m Bale money that has been squandered on a load of overpriced underperforming players, just the latest a long list of mistakes he has made in the transfer market. £17m for David Bentley anyone ? Levy is the big problem at Tottenham and long may he continue to be so.

The press, spurs fans and neutrals were raving about Tottenham's signings at the start of the season, how they could possible win the league, how getting 7 good players would easily offset losing one great.

Can hardly blame Levy for it, Franco Baldini must shoulder most of the blame for the turkeys signed. Levy did his part in negotiating an outstanding sum for Bale and handed the money over to be reinvested

How is he the problem here?

Hiring the wrong managers / coaches / "directors or football", sanctioning excessive expenditure on over-rated players, chopping and changing personnel too often, failure to improve the ground, beaten to the Olympic stadium by West Ham etc etc etc. Problems in any underperforming business come from the top. In any other walk of life Levy would have walked the plank by now.

Absolute nonsense. Levy has one of the best records in the league and should be applauded for the way he has managed to sensibly run a top six club.

Also, I'd wait and see before we are too critical of their spending from last summer. They signed a lot of young players and I would imagine that one or two of them will turn out to be very good. Every manager and every chairman will make mistakes, but he has managed to keep the ship very steady and the club very competitive.

As for title winning sides that have produced a number of managers, you'd have to look at United.

Levy's good at squeezing money from clubs when he sells his team's best players, but he seems incapable of taking Spurs to the next level. As soon as they're halfway down the path he's chosen for them, he fires the management staff.

He brought in Ramos and a director of football to turn them into Euro-Spurs, then went in the opposite direction by getting the tactics-free, have-a-go hero Redknapp, who he then fired so he could return to continental slickness with AVB, who was fired for not being exciting enough, so he went gung-ho with a completely mental novice in Sherwood, who he'll fire in the summer...

Guest Norbert

I fully agree with that M-K. Levy is a complete clown in everything apart from screwing money when selling players. Not sure how long Levy has been in control, but here is a list of managers since Wenger took over at Arsenal according to wikipedia. © means caretaker manager.

So many different characters, playing styles etc. and all they have won are a couple of league cups, and maybe an FA cup (can't be bothered to check). Now there is talk of Louis Van Gaal being offered the job. Unless he's after a quick severance pay, and doesn't mind a hit to his reputation he should leave the job well alone. Goodness knows if Baldini will still be there.

Absolute nonsense. Levy has one of the best records in the league and should be applauded for the way he has managed to sensibly run a top six club.

Rubbish. For the reasons already stated.

He's running a premier league club for a profit, something that is rarely done. He is doing a good job.

I have to disagree. He wasted the Bale money. Even if his business model is to buy them young then sell them on he won't get what he wants for the current crop. Last summer he bought; Lamela, Capoue, Paulinho, Eriksen, and Chadli? Why? Spurs already had a glut of midfielders. It's no wonder that Willian had a look and then signed for Chelsea.

He also paid silly money for Bentley, when Aaron Lennon was actually playing well.

He is far too fickle. The managerial filures of Santini, Ramos, and AVB were worthy of him being fired, notwithstanding his bad transfer dealings.

Off topic but related to 1995. Does anyone (or does it exist) have a copy of the title winning season highlights on dvd ? Trying to explain it all to my 13 year old son and would love him to see it .

Not quite, but I've got a VCR (official) of season highlights. Must get around to transferring it to DVD one of these days.

The press, spurs fans and neutrals were raving about Tottenham's signings at the start of the season, how they could possible win the league, how getting 7 good players would easily offset losing one great.

Can hardly blame Levy for it, Franco Baldini must shoulder most of the blame for the turkeys signed. Levy did his part in negotiating an outstanding sum for Bale and handed the money over to be reinvested

How is he the problem here?

Cos no one has heard of Franco Baldini! On the radio yesterday that Baldini spent the Bale money on 7 players abut Villas Boas only personally sanctioned 2/3 of them. The title "Director of Football" must be a licence to print money and especially so with 80m to play with! Chance in a lifetime opportunity imo!

dare I say better even than being an agent who is 'proper cushty' with gullible clients eh?

Archived