BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton vs Rovers 26th April 3pm

Gestade is proving to be a great signing. He only scored 6 goals in his career before he came (I am exaggerating of course).

I have my misgivings about the purple patch shown by the likes of Gestede & Conway. Historically it goes against the grain and I sincerely hope it's something that will carry over into next season and not another flash in the pan.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a few comments from Charlton forums:-

I didn't think we played that badly today but we had the misfortune to come up against a powerful Blackburn side in prime form. They don't give anything away and are strong and fast. The speed at which they got bodies into the box for their third was phenomenal. Most sides would have struggled against them today.

We tried, we huffed and puffed, but Blackburn had the physical and mental resilience that fell away from us as soon as Blackburn opened the scoring.

Shocking defensively albeit against a Blackburn side who were class going forward and put a lot of bodies forward.

After we got it back to 2-1, it looked as if we might get back in it but Riga made some substitutions and pushed an additional man up front. As a result, Blackburn completely overloaded us in midfield and we were, quite frankly, lucky to get away with 3-1 in the end

No getting away from it though, we were second best in most departments today. Blackburn were all over our midfield when we had the ball. When they had it, we got nowhere near them.

I thought Blackburn were better than us in every department. Big strong and athletic, Gestade caused the central defenders no end of problems especially in the air. I was impressed by Keane as well.

We were definately outmuscled today ,

Never trust an untrusted source bleuboy33333, as this could have been written quite easily by one of Jeromes gang.

Right where are we...

From back to front a decent performance. Lost control with about 15 mins of first half left otherwise fairly controlled proceedings. Charlton are crap and that lad in the middle with long hair.... If he's a professional footballer then I can't be far behind. Bloody hell.

Anyway

Robbo - very very little to do. Always talking and organising and I do believe it makes a difference to us. The goal.... At the other end so I couldn't see too well but it was either very well placed or a bit suspect. We'll review upon a replay.

Olsson - do you know I really enjoyed his performance, particularly second half. Put in two, three or four excellent crosses. Wasn't tested too much defensively but had a very good game. Arguably MOTM.

Kilgallon - people keep going on about missing dann. As far as I'm concerned this lad is a gooden. Wins a lot in the air, doesn't dive in and is actually a very decent footballer. Doesn't lump it, always looks for the pass. Mistake for their pen because I've no idea why he tried to bring it down instead of letting the ball go through to robbo. Anyway, it's in the past and he's a gooden

Hanley - his judgement is improving massively. He steps out well and wins most challenges in front of the striker. The pen? Hmmm I'll watch again but it looked like he was exposed. Not sure. He's gonna be a prem player eventually. Good centre half.

Keane - he's our best right back, that's all I need to say. Strong defensively and was up against a tricky customer in that Harriot lad. Marshalled him well. Hope we can keep him.

King - infuriating for the most part. Fast runner but nothing between his ears. Did well for the third goal which was put on a plate for him by, I believe Cairney? Not sure. Anyway... I don't like him but others do.

Evans - quiet, reliable, can't pass. He did fine. He's a solid little bugger and not much goes past him. Overshadowed by the excellent Cairney but I suppose that's his job. Get it and give it to someone who can play. He's a good lad.

Cairney - god he's gifted. He's got such a lovely range of passing and he's at the centre of everything. Really enjoyed his performance today. Thought he was a class above everyone else on the pitch. Great awareness, great ability on the ball and weighed in with a goal. MOTM I think.

Conway - good again. Up and down very solid and does have delivery. Not his best today but he breaks well and you always enjoy seeing him in a rovers shirt. Well done Craig.

Gestede - he's an absolute menace. Best striker at this club by a country mile. Horrible to mark and wins 80% of his headers. Could easily have had another hat trick today. Great signing Bowyer. Very well done.

Rhodes - I honestly remember him touching the ball about twice. Once he got clattered by their keeper after a header, and the second he missed a sitter befor Cairney made it 3-1. Otherwise completely anonymous and overshadowed by the excellent Gestede. I know exactly which one I would sell first going into next season. Sorry Abbey but 'haters gonna hate'.

Btw was at London bridge station today and bumped into Spurr and Kean who had obviously stayed the night in London and were on the way to the ground. They got on the train and were chatting away to us. Kean was checking the Ipswich burnley score and they were discussing the possibility of donny beating reading etc. Really nice to see two rovers players who genuinely care about our league position and our chances etc.

Spurr says he thinks he's done for the season and explaining how flat everyone was after sheff wed and Yeovil. Genuinely can't speak highly enough of them. A credit to the club.

All in all, good performance, good win and a shame about reading. Too little too late.

Lovely touch with the scarves. Thanks community trust.

Right where are we...

From back to front a decent performance. Lost control with about 15 mins of first half left otherwise fairly controlled proceedings. Charlton are crap and that lad in the middle with long hair.... If he's a professional footballer then I can't be far behind. Bloody hell.

Anyway

Robbo - very very little to do. Always talking and organising and I do believe it makes a difference to us. The goal.... At the other end so I couldn't see too well but it was either very well placed or a bit suspect. We'll review upon a replay.

Olsson - do you know I really enjoyed his performance, particularly second half. Put in two, three or four excellent crosses. Wasn't tested too much defensively but had a very good game. Arguably MOTM.

Kilgallon - people keep going on about missing dann. As far as I'm concerned this lad is a golden. Wins a lot in the air, doesn't dive in and is actually a very decent footballer. Doesn't lump it, always looks for the pass. Mistake for their pen because I've no idea why he tried to bring it down instead of letting the ball go through to robbo. Anyway, it's in the past and he's a gooden

Charlton are shyte and thats being kind.

Though the key thing from this game is that Charlton had the worst attack in this league, yet, managed to score one goal and could so easily have scored another .

Theres still a lot of improvement to do from team GB. Are they capable though ?

Though the key thing from this game is that Charlton had the worst attack in this league, yet, managed to score one goal and could so easily have scored another .

Bet you moaned about the result at anfield when we won the title!!!

Never trust an untrusted source bleuboy33333, as this could have been written quite easily by one of Jeromes gang.

Good grief Jal,a little paranoia can sometimes be a good thing but...

They were just a collection of comments from different people on different CAFC messageboards. I highly doubt Jeromes gang would think there was a Rovers fan sad enough to read them, copy them and then quote them on here!

Bloody hell Jal!

The KEY thing from this game is that we won 3-1, is it not?

They scored 3 last week! Why are you focusing on Charlton scoring one goal when we won 3-1? We put in a decent performance to boot.

Bet you moaned about the result at anfield when we won the title!!!

Actually I did lol because Id broken my arm at the time.

Bloody hell Jal!

The KEY thing from this game is that we won 3-1, is it not?

No cn174! Theres massive room for improvement, dont get all glossy eyed over what looks like a good result when the reality is it was against a struggling side.

Good grief Jal,a little paranoia can sometimes be a good thing but...

They were just a collection of comments from different people on different CAFC messageboards. I highly doubt Jeromes gang would think there was a Rovers fan sad enough to read them, copy them and then quote them on here!

Charlton are a very poor team and thats been all season not this one game.

You beat what's in front of you and we did that comfortably today. End of

JAL, are you actually a she?

What sort of yokal comment is that amarillo?

The ladies in these parts and around the world who follow Rovers have some very intelligent balanced opinions on Rovers.

Could fully expect them, saying typical man to my posts, but not what you've just posted.

What sort of yokal comment is that amarillo?

The ladies in these parts and around the world who follow Rovers have some very intelligent balanced opinions on Rovers.

Could fully expect them, saying typical man to my posts, but not what you've just posted.

It wasn't related to anything you said. I just remember someone mentioning awhile back that you were a lay-dee, but a lot of female members are readily identifiable from their posting styles. Yours, however, does not seem to be particularly feminine. Hence my question.

It wasn't related to anything you said. I just remember someone mentioning awhile back that you were a lay-dee, but a lot of female members are readily identifiable from their posting styles. Yours, however, does not seem to be particularly feminine. Hence my question.

Dont worry Amarillo its not the first, and it wont be last thing that you ever get wrong.

More on the subject of the game today, conceding a goal so soon after going 2 nil up would usually have The team sitting back and holding out for a narrow win. Play Cairney in the middle on the rarest of occasions and the guy goes and gets the crucial third goal instead of us clinging on as we have done so often this season.

Please take this into next season, play offs or not. Cairney is our guy to make the team tick and he needs to be in that central role to do it successfully. Put him out wide and he drifts in from the right and makes the structure of the team very narrow. Certainly didn't help against Yeovil and many other teams.

If Josh King stays fit and gets a string of games under his belt there is no reason he can't be one of the star performers next season, like a few of our current crop! Nice that it isn't all about Rhodes at the moment.

• Backroom

Good post that Jimmy thanks for that

Interesting about Kean, id heard he was a real big headed idiot and on the lash with Hanley and Goodwillie all the time, probably a good thing Goodwillie has been out of the equation

I have my misgivings about the purple patch shown by the likes of Gestede & Conway. Historically it goes against the grain and I sincerely hope it's something that will carry over into next season and not another flash in the pan.

Like Shearer you mean? He was hardly prolific at Soton was he?

There will be a fair amount spent on CB next year at United, methinks. They can't afford to miss out on the CL again and will put all necessary resources into getting back into the top 4. I can't see them entrusting a youngster like Keane with any major responsibility next year. We should have a shot of getting him back on loan and personally I'd play him alongside Kilgallon as and when possible next season. The less minutes Hanley gets the less chances of us conceding penalties or playing with ten men.

Hanley is a very strong player for us. He was a @#/? early season always wanting to take on the world but since the Wigan incident and subsequent points drain he has been excellent imo.

• Backroom

Hanley is a very strong player for us. He was a @#/? early season always wanting to take on the world but since the Wigan incident and subsequent points drain he has been excellent imo.

I don't doubt his ability, but he has a very suspect temperament and simply cannot be allowed to cost us points in the manner he has done this season. His ability isn't worth the points his current mentality strips us of in terms of suspensions and penalties. I hope Bowyer works on it with him this summer and he matures to become the player he should be next season.

Really? I thought they were above Yeovil.

I don't doubt his ability, but he has a very suspect temperament and simply cannot be allowed to cost us points in the manner he has done this season. His ability isn't worth the points his current mentality strips us of in terms of suspensions and penalties. I hope Bowyer works on it with him this summer and he matures to become the player he should be next season.

One incident v Wigan away and little of issue since. I'd suggest that he's learned his lesson

Archived