BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton vs Rovers 26th April 3pm

Would a big win over Wigan and a Brighton loss not mean we were in the playoffs regardless of the Reading result. If Wigan lost to Brum that is

I said or. If Brighton wins or draws, we'll need Reading to lose by more than 4 goals for us to overtake them. The same scenario if Wigan beats Birmingham City, we'll need both Brighton and Reading to lose, the latter losing by more than 4 goals and us scoring 3 goals or more.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outstanding performance today, really impressive. We have a proper team for the first time in 2-3 years and think we could take the championship by storm next season. Gestede, Conway and Cairney in particular are exceptional players.

Going forward we are the real deal and we must have averaged two or three goals per games for the past two months. When Charlton had a pen (albeit a missed pen) and pulled a goal back, I was not concerned as I was confident we'd score again.The opposition have to score two or three just to get a point against us so it's no surprise we've gone 11 unbeaten and are 3rd in the fork table.

Hanley looked a real weak link in defence, always looked like making a mistake and made a mis timed challenge for the pen. We need defensive reinforcements in the summer. Olsson did well at lb, I'd keep him as back up lb next season.

The big worry would be having to sell key players this summer.

Can only really see Rhodes and Robbo being a key players that we may have to sell. The majority of the team will stay together.

Robbo is replaceable as there are other good keepers out there. Rhodes is more difficult to replace but we are far less reliant on him now so there is life beyond him if he is sold.

Can't see anyone matching the Rhodes price tag. He's not worth the money it'd cost to buy him. He's had another very good season but I'd be surprised if a premier league side came in. Unless Venkys want to get rid of him on the cheap then I'm fairly sure he'll be a Rover next season. To be honest I fancy Gestede to score a hatfull next season either way.

a few comments from Charlton forums:-

I didn't think we played that badly today but we had the misfortune to come up against a powerful Blackburn side in prime form. They don't give anything away and are strong and fast. The speed at which they got bodies into the box for their third was phenomenal. Most sides would have struggled against them today.

We tried, we huffed and puffed, but Blackburn had the physical and mental resilience that fell away from us as soon as Blackburn opened the scoring.

Shocking defensively albeit against a Blackburn side who were class going forward and put a lot of bodies forward.

After we got it back to 2-1, it looked as if we might get back in it but Riga made some substitutions and pushed an additional man up front. As a result, Blackburn completely overloaded us in midfield and we were, quite frankly, lucky to get away with 3-1 in the end

No getting away from it though, we were second best in most departments today. Blackburn were all over our midfield when we had the ball. When they had it, we got nowhere near them.

I thought Blackburn were better than us in every department. Big strong and athletic, Gestade caused the central defenders no end of problems especially in the air. I was impressed by Keane as well.

We were definately outmuscled today ,

I have to admit that recent results are starting to fill me with confidence about next season...there is promise in this young Rovers side.The consistency we appear to have found now must be carried on right at the start of next season...hit the ground running and bloody well stay there.

THERE IS NO TEAM TO FEAR IN THIS MEDIOCRE LEAGUE MR BOWYER.

:brfc:

What makes you so sure?

They are on long term contracts and I don't see clubs paying the asking price. Plus, players like Conway, Gestede and Evans are excellent championship players but not quite good enough for the prem so dont see them leaving for prem clubs (and they won't go to other championship teams). I'm not even convinced Rhodes will go, it's looking more likely he'll sign a new contract.

I was thinking more of financial pressure to sell, rather than any vultures circling.

Only way to ease financial pressure is to get promoted. Despite their obvious flaws, I genuinely believe Venkys want to see this club back in the prem. Of course they do, for the finances and glamour it brings if nothing else.

• Backroom

Keane may get forgotten about in the reshuffle at united with a bit of luck

There will be a fair amount spent on CB next year at United, methinks. They can't afford to miss out on the CL again and will put all necessary resources into getting back into the top 4. I can't see them entrusting a youngster like Keane with any major responsibility next year. We should have a shot of getting him back on loan and personally I'd play him alongside Kilgallon as and when possible next season. The less minutes Hanley gets the less chances of us conceding penalties or playing with ten men.

Well, I can only say, they might not get a say in that.

The club's been pissing money like Red Rum, next year the income will be smaller. I dread to think what the debt is.

Our window of opportunity may be about to close.

The only hope of avoiding this is if potential millionaire manager Gary Bowyer stands his ground and compromises his current safe position by insisting to the Raos that their investment will gain a return if they totally back him in regard to keeping the current squad together.

Yeah, right.

Guest Norbert

Gestade is proving to be a great signing. He only scored 6 goals in his career before he came (I am exaggerating of course).

Archived