BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

10 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Alex Baker had a promising start as a U21 striker but I haven't seem his name mentioned lately. Another who succumbed to injuries? I see that his contract might expire this year.

Thought he was a central midfielder? He is on my FM.

4 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Morton bangs a cracking free kick into the top corner.....

His free kicks are usually shite for the first team 1😕

That one last night was idiotic. He'd have had to pull off a Carlos to bend it round the wall enough to land it inside the post. Even then he had signposted it so much the keeper had it well covered.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Strong line up tonight and hopefully JDT is in attendance, I'd be involving a few of these at weekend if they perform.....

Screenshot_20230207_181956_Twitter.jpg

Apart from Hilton and Gamble, very similar lineups have started first team games before. Strange to see Morton starting it tbh, ok he didn't start the Wigan game but he's had plenty of game time this season. Should be more in need of a rest than more minutes (if he actually did enough to earn one, that is..).

I'd have an eye on a few of these lads for the next match so I probably wouldn't be playing this many first teamers personally. Hope they're still fresh by the game. We should take some off around 60 mins if we are still leading comfortably. Also gives the actual kids the game time they need.

Are there not rules against so many first teamers and players over 21 playing for the U21s? I'd have thought there would be a limit not nearly a full side. 

JDT seems to treat the U21s like an old school reserve side. I remember as a teenager when blackburn reserves played at Morecambe Fcs ground just round the corner from me. £3 a game and it was mostly first teamers who didn't play at the weekend. Had some big names down there. Dwight Yorke, Diego Forlan, David Ginola, Jason Wilcox to name a few.

Bit worried some of our genuine U21 prospects struggle for game time now.

12 minutes ago, benhben said:

Are there not rules against so many first teamers and players over 21 playing for the U21s? I'd have thought there would be a limit not nearly a full side. 

JDT seems to treat the U21s like an old school reserve side. I remember as a teenager when blackburn reserves played at Morecambe Fcs ground just round the corner from me. £3 a game and it was mostly first teamers who didn't play at the weekend. Had some big names down there. Dwight Yorke, Diego Forlan, David Ginola, Jason Wilcox to name a few.

Bit worried some of our genuine U21 prospects struggle for game time now.

I believe I have this correctly...

Last season, when it was U23s, you could field 3 outfield players over the age of 23 (slightly more complicated than that, they had to be under 23 on a certain date).

Now that it's gone back to being U21s, I think you can field 4 outfield players over the age of 21. I don't think there's anything wrong with this, like you say with the reserves there were no restrictions at all. First teams still have numerous senior players who need to keep fresh just like in the old days.

There are no restrictions based on their first team appearances etc, it's purely about their age.

Edit - looking at that team sheet, maybe it's 5 over 21s you can field now. Since we have Brittain, Edun, Hedges, Gallagher and Szmodics out there who are over 21.

Edited by bluebruce

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

4 nil up now, Leonard on the pitch 5 mins and has scored 2. Surely he deserves a shot now for the first team?

You would bloody think so...I doubt he will be more than on the bench though. If so, hopefully he comes off it for 20 minutes or so.

With JDT and most of the senior staff watching, this game won't do his chances any harm though. Who did Leonard come on for?

Edited by bluebruce

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You would bloody think so...I doubt he will be more than on the bench though. If so, hopefully he comes off it for 20 minutes or so.

With JDT and most of the senior staff watching, this game won't do his chances any harm though. Who did Leonard come on for?

For Gallagher who also scored, only playing 45 suggests he will start at weekend.

Brittain off at half time 2 but sounds like he had a good game.

One thing JDT deserves credit for is dropping players when they’ve needed dropping and building their confidence in the U21s.

He’s also recalled or played out of favour players when they’ve proven they deserve another shot.

Seeing Leonard do that tonight surely puts him in contention for the first team, especially considering what we’ve been seeing from Vale recently.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I believe I have this correctly...

Last season, when it was U23s, you could field 3 outfield players over the age of 23 (slightly more complicated than that, they had to be under 23 on a certain date).

Now that it's gone back to being U21s, I think you can field 4 outfield players over the age of 21. I don't think there's anything wrong with this, like you say with the reserves there were no restrictions at all. First teams still have numerous senior players who need to keep fresh just like in the old days.

There are no restrictions based on their first team appearances etc, it's purely about their age.

Edit - looking at that team sheet, maybe it's 5 over 21s you can field now. Since we have Brittain, Edun, Hedges, Gallagher and Szmodics out there who are over 21.

There may be different rules, because Huddersfield are a B team rather than an U21s ?

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

For Gallagher who also scored, only playing 45 suggests he will start at weekend.

Brittain off at half time 2 but sounds like he had a good game.

Hah yeh I just clocked this on google moments before you replied, cheers though. Saadi came on for Brittain I see.

Looking at the LT feed, I see it is indeed 5 overrage players you can field. Also seems Gamble captains the team which seems odd considering all the experience out there. Brittain cross was spilled for the Gally goal, Edun and Hedges with assists for the Leonard goals.

Quarter finals after this win.

Just now, rigger said:

There may be different rules, because Huddersfield are a B team rather than an U21s ?

I'm certain the rules will be the same for Hudds as they are for us, but the Premier League Cup may have slightly different registration rules. My FM game doesn't seem to think so though (showing the same age restrictions as the U23 league, but it's about 3 seasons old I think). Huddersfield will just have to field a B team that meets the age restrictions, shouldn't be too hard.