BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wild Rover

I've a question. Why does virtually every (non-player) Rovers song/chant mention Bumley in it. Really bugs me that we can't just support the team without having to mention Bumley b****rds.

I've a question. Why does virtually every (non-player) Rovers song/chant mention Bumley in it. Really bugs me that we can't just support the team without having to mention Bumley b****rds.

Because football fans are unimaginitave sheep?

It was burnley, they said so, it must be right.

Close the thread :tu:

The only way the dingles could have been 1st is if they started it when they were first formed and named Burnley Rovers in homage to the mighty Blackburn ROVERS,

The Wild Tree Dwellers does not have the same ring to it

:lol:

United fans are certainly an exception, very good songs, very creative.

United have a guy who specifically writes their songs - quite famous in his own right.

Hands out song sheets and uses their fanzines to start/ grow new songs.

On the 'Wild Rover' I'm told it was Burnley and lets be honest, substituting Wild Rover for ******* Rovers, seems to match up.

United fans are certainly an exception, very good songs, very creative.

All clubs can pull out crackers now and again. Very few stick though.

West Ham had a good one the other week against Chelsea.

Chelsea started signing; "There's only 1 Kurt Zouma."

To which the reply from the Hammers fans was; "Would you let him on the train?"

United have a guy who specifically writes their songs - quite famous in his own right.

On the 'Wild Rover' I'm told it was Burnley and lets be honest, substituting Wild Rover for ******* Rovers, seems to match up.

******* Rovers is a recent thing, the chant never started off like that.

They can have it, they seem to enjoy it more than us.

They'll be singing after relegation is confirmed again too, as they obviously like the tune but don't understand the words.

A guy I used to work with late 90's was an OT regular and occasionally he brought them sheets in. Printed sheets set out with songs on and times to sing them like 3.10 pm etc. Hilarious. Another mate used to receive texts from an LFC site, they texted everyone the words to the 'fields of Anfield road' when they decided on that one. Plastic pop idol stuff that only would take off with those types of fan :rover:

All clubs can pull out crackers now and again. Very few stick though.

That's pretty brilliant!

I remember my team in Sweden had a great banner against our arch rivals. We had won the league and we about to meet them in the Swedish Cup Finals. Our fans then put up a giant banner saying "The Swedish Champions would like to congratulate our baby brothers to an honorable 5th place in the League" (both clubs were founded in 1891). That was not appreciated by the other team... :) I thought it was brilliant, just because it wasn't just a "you suck"-banner.

A number of years ago Burnley released an OFFICIAL club history on DVD,the opening 2 minutes was their 'no nay never version'...B'stard Rovers and all!!

Personally I prefer songs supporting my club, to be based about my club, not others, but that their choice.

To be fair the wild rover is the only 'original' song we have, in the sense that only us and burnley sing it. For that reason it is my favourite song. In fact I know supporters of other clubs who ask about it because it is semi unique.

Every other song we sing is just generic and sung by all clubs.

I've said it before but the wild rover would be better if there was another verse geared more towards rovers. In fact I think there is a longer version around somewhere but never sung.

That's pretty brilliant!

The best chant response I read about was when Liverpool were in the bottom three and they were playing Everton.

Everton fans chanted, "Going down, going down, going down."

Liverpool fans responded, " So are we, so are we, so are we."

Archived