• Scottish National Party
    • Green
    • Respect
    • Democratic Unionist Party
    • Plaid Cymru
    • SDLP
    • Alliance Party
    • No one - They are all a shower of s#@t

You may be right, it is about time they got together (SNP style) and kicked Whitehall, for one item the high speed link should start at Manchester.

Manchester is moving in the right direction with more control over budget, hope they do it correctly as it should transform the north West.

I might be a bit behind here but I agree completely. Let's be honest, what does the posh bloke from Westminster know about Lancashire (I bet half our local MPs don't have a clue what our traditional boundaries are!)

I'm not for proposing that we completely split the our great nation up into little segments.

One thing do think is correct is Manchester running their own health & social care budget though, an an example of decentration.

Arguably, lefties (such as myself, if you don't already know!) could be seen to criticise the national government for this, when major cuts come into force after May, especially if the Tories at re-elected. I do believe the decentralised approach is the way forward. Being from Darwen, is can't stand the fact we're being run by Blackburn!

Ultimately, I feel that if more important decisions which are made locally, people are more likely to get involved with the whole political/ decision making process. The more people we empower, the more people will care about politics! The more local decisions are made, the more

accountable representatives are.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might be a bit behind here but I agree completely. Let's be honest, what does the posh bloke from Westminster know about Lancashire (I bet half our local MPs don't have a clue what our traditional boundaries are!)

I'm not for proposing that we completely split the our great nation up into little segments.

One thing do think is correct is Manchester running their own health & social care budget though, an an example of decentration.

Arguably, lefties (such as myself, if you don't already know!) could be seen to criticise the national government for this, when major cuts come into force after May, especially if the Tories at re-elected. I do believe the decentralised approach is the way forward. Being from Darwen, is can't stand the fact we're being run by Blackburn!

Ultimately, I feel that if more important decisions which are made locally, people are more likely to get involved with the whole political/ decision making process. The more people we empower, the more people will care about politics! The more local decisions are made, the more

accountable representatives are.

Absolutely Yoda.

Careful you two, a smaller state and de centralising is at the core of Conservative thinking

;)

Careful you two, a smaller state and de centralising is at the core of Conservative thinking

;)

Well after 5yrs of neglect in the north I'd be happy with any local deal to be honest.

Well after 5yrs of neglect in the north I'd be happy with any local deal to be honest.

The 5yrs of neglect in the north don't really apply to Manchester, the changes in the city over the years is quite dramatic.

It has been transforming itself since the bombings.

Liverpool to a lesser extent, as for the rest, well Whitehall should be ashamed

Make that 35 years and you'd be nearer the mark.

Now I can't stand this twerp, but this story sums up how the Tory party sees itself and its lies and hypocrisy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/danny-alexander-interview-i-heard-a-senior-tory-tell-a-lib-dem-colleague-you-take-care-of-the-workers-and-well-take-care-of-the-bosses-10157452.html

Now I can't stand this twerp, but this story sums up how the Tory party sees itself and its lies and hypocrisy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/danny-alexander-interview-i-heard-a-senior-tory-tell-a-lib-dem-colleague-you-take-care-of-the-workers-and-well-take-care-of-the-bosses-10157452.html

Saw this earlier, but it's not a story until he names the senior Tory who said it.

As a self professed Labour supporter, how can you refer to anyone as a twerp while you have Miliband in charge ?

Bug eyed and adenoidal, Prime Minister my ar5e.

As a self professed Labour supporter, how can you refer to anyone as a twerp while you have Miliband in charge ?

Bug eyed and adenoidal, Prime Minister my ar5e.

I’ve been impressed with Miliband so far on the election trail, I think he’s coming of age after a few dodgy years to say the least. He was much better than Cameron at the leaders debate and I think his profile is on the up.

Sadly Ed Balls still comes across as a bumbling idiot, he just doesn’t look or sound up to it to me.

I’ve been impressed with Miliband so far on the election trail, I think he’s coming of age after a few dodgy years to say the least. He was much better than Cameron at the leaders debate and I think his profile is on the up.

Sadly Ed Balls still comes across as a bumbling idiot, he just doesn’t look or sound up to it to me.

He seems to be turning into Mr Angry to me!

As for Balls OMG, worse than Brown

Nit picking. That 'twerp' and his mates are on the edge of extinction, like cornered rats they'll attack everybody and everything.

Oh and jim how many times have you been prepared to believe what a politician says in the run up to an election?

btw have you answered my question yet? Have you ever spent any amount of time working in the Public Sector?

In a trench facing the onrushing boxhead hordes which politician would you least want to have shoulder to shoulder next to you? Might be a fools choice but Milliband would be my last option. (And in the interests of fair play Bruiser Prescott would prob be my first. ^_^ )

Eric Pickles admitted the Conservatives have consistently under-estimated Ed Miliband in the way he has set the agenda over the past 5 years and continually put the government on the back foot over policy. The vitriol he has suffered from the right wing press shows he's tough as old boots too. He's nobody's fool. Ed Balls is well respected in the City (not a great recommendation it must be said) and his pronouncements over HS2 were daft and pure politicking but his instincts are all to the left and are fine with me.

Eric Pickles admitted the Conservatives have consistently under-estimated Ed Miliband in the way he has set the agenda over the past 5 years and continually put the government on the back foot over policy. The vitriol he has suffered from the right wing press shows he's tough as old boots too. He's nobody's fool. Ed Balls is well respected in the City (not a great recommendation it must be said) and his pronouncements over HS2 were daft and pure politicking but his instincts are all to the left and are fine with me.

I really couldn’t care less if his instincts are left right up down or fire, the mans an idiot, and Balls alone could lose the election for Labour as far as I’m concerned Jim.

I posted recently that the chap on question time said that Labour only exists today to hate the Tories, you and my Mrs are testament to that.

Anything but a Tory government regardless of how bad that might be, which is just wrong in my opinion.

• Backroom

I must be honest, I actually like the fact Ed got caught looking daft eating a bacon butty and what have you. Makes him come across as human to me.

That being said, if you want ISIS dealt with or we end up battling Putin or whoever, you want a real leader.

From the leaders debate, that'd be Sturgeon or Farage for me. I love the irony of people slagging off Farage when his attitude to politics is actually not THAT far off Churchill.

I posted recently that the chap on question time said that Labour only exists today to hate the Tories,

Yes, but he was completely wrong. Now if he said the Tories are - and always have been- here to keep the rich in control of the countries finances and Labour were formed to oppose that, and represent the ordinary folk, he would have been right.

Yes, but he was completely wrong. Now if he said the Tories are - and always have been- here to keep the rich in control of the countries finances and Labour were formed to oppose that, and represent the ordinary folk, he would have been right.

But many would say New Labour aren't much different to the Tories den, so actually that statement is pretty accurate in my opinion.

• Backroom

Cameron is definitely not getting my vote and, frankly, shouldn't get a vote from anybody.

Samantha Cameron has given her first interview in years and "finally" revealed all to the Mail on Sunday about how she felt when her disabled son, Ivan, died.

Politics is a battle of personalities, so I don't feel cynical about this. I feel matter-of-fact.

As the parent to a "desperately disabled" child - as David Cameron described his son in the recently televised leadership debate - I know first hand how people find parents like me inspirational. People say they could never do it - they are wrong. I'm a parent and no different to every other parent; if your child is hurt you take care of them. That doesn't make David or Samantha Cameron - or me - better than other parents.

But, public perceptions are important in winning elections. We'd hope a politician wouldn't use his wife in this way in the run up to a General Election, but surely we all know some would. So the shock that some express is a bit lost on me. There is a far bigger issue at hand here. And, because his son died, major news outlets and politicians of any party shy away from discussing it.

I don't have those qualms.

There is something really wrong with David Cameron.

I would say that about any parent of a disabled child who would go out of their way to make the lives of other disabled children worse. There is a complete lack of compassion in the man or lack of understanding of the real world that should genuinely worry us about voting him back into power.

David Cameron not only allows but enacts legislation that hurts children. If elected again, it will only get worse. Last week, the BBC reported on a leaked document which said that the sick and disabled will bear the brunt of future Tory austerity cuts. According to them, the Tories will:

• Restrict Carer's Allowance
  • Restrict Employment and Support Allowance
  • Tax disability benefits
  • Cap benefits nationally
  • Include Council Tax Support in the benefits cap
  • Restrict Child Benefit to two children

In the article, Samantha Cameron says, "[by] the end of the first year we’d both been working and Ivan needed 24-hour care. We were totally shattered and pretty much at breaking point." Then, she said that they were "saved" when doctors noticed they were struggling and provided respite care for Ivan at night.

That respite care that the Cameron's depended on for their sanity? Local councils are cutting that too. In my local council, Lambeth, we received word earlier this year that the vital holiday respite play scheme that May and all the other children at her special needs school use may no longer receive funding after this Easter. Last month, the Independent reported that, "More than one in three councils in England and Wales has cut spending on “portage” services for young children in the past year; one in five no longer has any service at all."

The government can wipe their hands of this by claiming that local councils make local decisions, but when their budgets are slashed by 40%, something's got to go.*

Most people would not deny a "desperately disabled" little girl and her mother who has leukaemia the benefits listed above, but the image the Tory party press on the nation is not of us. Or, of Ivan and his parents. Instead, the party is happy to run Samantha Cameron's story in a tabloid that encourages the electorate to believe that it is scroungers and liars who take advantage of the benefits above.

So, here we are. May is six years old so she can't hold down a job. But, her mother did, until she was diagnosed with cancer that is. She worked as a teacher for over a decade in London's inner city schools.

• 20130604_195339.jpg
    May in the hospital after her first surgery, 2013
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4

We are the real face of these cuts.

In the article, the journalist writes, "No one can fault the compassionate credentials of a couple whose courage and devotion to their disabled son Ivan moved the entire nation..."

I can.

This is the most shocking element to this story. Where is the compassion?

http://www.mamalewis.com/2015/04/06/the-shocking-truth-about-samantha-camerons-interview/

• Moderation Lead

I really couldn’t care less if his instincts are left right up down or fire, the mans an idiot, and Balls alone could lose the election for Labour as far as I’m concerned Jim.

I posted recently that the chap on question time said that Labour only exists today to hate the Tories, you and my Mrs are testament to that.

Anything but a Tory government regardless of how bad that might be, which is just wrong in my opinion.

I think you've got a point with what you're saying there, but given what's gone on in the past, particularly in the North, it is little wonder that there's still a lot of ill-feeling.

I have met Ed Balls on a number of occasions (and incidently his buddy Gordon Brown) and rarely have I come across such a rude and ignorant politician - and I have met many from all parties. The idea of Ed Balls being in charge of the economy frightens me.

I am not saying this as someone who is anti-Labour. I have been a Labour voter for 37 years. I was a Party member for many years being a Constituency Secretary and also General Election Agent and Council candidate.

I must have been one of the few people who actually enjoyed knocking on doors and canvassing. I used to go to those with Lib Dem posters (it was a strong Lib Dem area) and talking them round to vote Labour.

Would I vote for Labour this time.....NO! I do not know what they stand for anymore, I could not stand on a doorstep and promote a party devoid of policies and more importantly costed policies.

I spent the weekend in Leeds with friends, all of whom are lifelong Labour voters. They are not voting Labour this time. Indeed outside of my employment I am not aware of a single aqaintance who is voting Labour after the economic shambles of last time they were in power.

Do I care about the NHS, homeless and those unable to get a decent job.....YES damm right I do but I cannot see a single party promoting policies that puts fairness at the core of their values.

And before anyone mentions mentions the Greens please get a grip of yourselves before the lights go out and we have windmills in every backyard.

I have met Ed Balls on a number of occasions (and incidently his buddy Gordon Brown) and rarely have I come across such a rude and ignorant politician - and I have met many from all parties. The idea of Ed Balls being in charge of the economy frightens me.

He might be rude but that wouldn't prevent him being a good chancellor. I have every confidence he will be.

Would I vote for Labour this time.....NO! I do not know what they stand for anymore, I could not stand on a doorstep and promote a party devoid of policies and more importantly costed policies.

Labour stands for community, fairness, equality and social cohesion. NHS, Europe, tax, house building among many issues in which Labour have made clear statements.

I spent the weekend in Leeds with friends, all of whom are lifelong Labour voters. They are not voting Labour this time. Indeed outside of my employment I am not aware of a single aqaintance who is voting Labour after the economic shambles of last time they were in power.

Standard Tory lies and rhteoric and easily proven to be nonsense with 5 minutes research of studies written by people who know what they are talking about.

Do I care about the NHS, homeless and those unable to get a decent job.....YES damm right I do but I cannot see a single party promoting policies that puts fairness at the core of their values.

Labour (see above).

And before anyone mentions mentions the Greens please get a grip of yourselves before the lights go out and we have windmills in every backyard.

Agreed

Equality under labour = Bring the workshy and feckless upto the level of those that took notice in class by topping wages up and giving 5 bedroom detached houses to scrotey women on the career ladder of babies and benefits.

Archived