• Scottish National Party
    • Green
    • Respect
    • Democratic Unionist Party
    • Plaid Cymru
    • SDLP
    • Alliance Party
    • No one - They are all a shower of s#@t

Must say the Trident debates an interesting one. I saw a figure yesterday from CND saying it'll cost 100bn over the life of a replacement Trdent, so the figures probably more like 75bn, not small change by anyone's estimations.

With the threat of ISIS looming large and the increase in cyber attacks, Trident is absolutely useless against such threats and we'll never use it in anger, should we be looking to give it up?

I'm not sure really, it does give us a seat on the UN Security Council, but a part from that I'm not seeing the benefit.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evasion / avoidance - amounts to the same thing, the non-paying of taxes that are owing.

Polls today showing Labour nosing ahead. Interesting also that Miliband's ratings v Cameron have gone up too, probably showing that the constant right-wing media attacks on the Labour leader are turning people off. Cameron also referred to the Big Society in a speech yesterday - which he hasn't mentioned for years - and announced a rail fares freeze which is ironic as the Conservatives slated Miliband when he proposed freezing energy prices. Sign of desperation ?

• Backroom

You'd be a brave man to argue on a Rovers forum that Jack Walker's tax avoidance benefitted the country in the long run!

It isn't always as cut and dried as that though.

Avoids tax through one company, results in tax paid for numerous Walker businesses. More companies = more tax paid is the way I look at it :P

Evasion / avoidance - amounts to the same thing, the non-paying of taxes that are owing.

Polls today showing Labour nosing ahead. Interesting also that Miliband's ratings v Cameron have gone up too, probably showing that the constant right-wing media attacks on the Labour leader are turning people off. Cameron also referred to the Big Society in a speech yesterday - which he hasn't mentioned for years - and announced a rail fares freeze which is ironic as the Conservatives slated Miliband when he proposed freezing energy prices. Sign of desperation ?

I do agree with you about the slating of Ed. It makes me sympathise with him more tbh. But should you really sympathise with a leader?

• Moderation Lead

Avoids tax through one company, results in tax paid for numerous Walker businesses. More companies = more tax paid is the way I look at it :P

Not necessarily.....You only need to look at Starbucks, Amazon, Google and Facebook as companies that aren't paying their way.

They're 4 major examples, there are no doubt more.

The thing is, I completely understand why companies/individuals look to exploit loopholes, (who wants to pay more than they legally have to) but those loopholes need to cease to exist. For all the hot air the major political parties exhale there never seems to be a concrete plan to make that happen.

Fallons attack on Miliband seems to have boosted Labour in the polls, depending which poll you read of course. I bet Ed's looking for more of the same if it turns the public off so much.

No, it really doesn't.

If avoidance is the non-payment of taxes that are owing, why aren't avoiders prosecuted?

Because they pay all the taxes that they legally owe, but not the ones they don't have to.

Admittedly, some of it is a grey area, but certainly not all.

Not necessarily.....You only need to look at Starbucks, Amazon, Google and Facebook as companies that aren't paying their way.

They're 4 major examples, there are no doubt more.

The thing is, I completely understand why companies/individuals look to exploit loopholes, (who wants to pay more than they legally have to) but those loopholes need to cease to exist. For all the hot air the major political parties exhale there never seems to be a concrete plan to make that happen.

Again, not 100% true. All those companies are paying their way paying the many, many taxes that a company has to pay. You will find they are all providing MANY jobs and paying National Insurance contributions along with them. They are only paying what they legally have to for Corporation Tax which is the biggest loophole they are currently getting away with.

I agree that the loopholes are ridiculous but to suggest these companies are not paying anything back and not contributing is equally ridiculous.

Must say the Trident debates an interesting one. I saw a figure yesterday from CND saying it'll cost 100bn over the life of a replacement Trdent, so the figures probably more like 75bn, not small change by anyone's estimations.

With the threat of ISIS looming large and the increase in cyber attacks, Trident is absolutely useless against such threats and we'll never use it in anger, should we be looking to give it up?

I'm not sure really, it does give us a seat on the UN Security Council, but a part from that I'm not seeing the benefit.

I'd still be worried about Mr Putin to be fair.

• Moderation Lead

Again, not 100% true. All those companies are paying their way paying the many, many taxes that a company has to pay. You will find they are all providing MANY jobs and paying National Insurance contributions along with them. They are only paying what they legally have to for Corporation Tax which is the biggest loophole they are currently getting away with.

I agree that the loopholes are ridiculous but to suggest these companies are not paying anything back and not contributing is equally ridiculous.

I'd still be worried about Mr Putin to be fair.

They are contributing with jobs and such, but they are deliberately avoiding paying enough corporation tax which is wrong.

I don't think I suggested they aren't paying anything back, simply not enough and knowingly so.

Agree, the attacks are back to the awful politics which I'd hoped we'd seen the back of. I don't think many people appreciate these kinds of statements these days. Glad it's knocked the conservatives back a bit.

ISIS? have you forgotten Putin / North Korea / Iran? I'm sure they'd be delighted if we binned it off.

There is no connection between the two and you know it. Besides that jim you are a massive fan of rail travel and are constantly banging on about the need to utilise the rail networks more. You should be supporting Camerons intentions and urging Labour to do likewise.

Leave money in the hands of the entrepreneurs and like Jack and Fred they will generate more. It's the nature of the beast. Take it off them and hand it out to the shirkers and n'er do wells and it will disappear.

Obviously there needs to be a balance of sorts but killing the goose that laid golden eggs is the policy of either the jealous, the idlers of the foolish. This dom issue labour is proposing would be just cutting our nose off to spite our face.

Don't you have any money in ISA's jim?

Not forgetting High Street business rates and rental which are massive and an ever increasing reason behind boarded up shops and offices etc.

They are contributing with jobs and such, but they are deliberately avoiding paying enough corporation tax which is wrong.

I don't think I suggested they aren't paying anything back, simply not enough and knowingly so.

Quite possible and obviously not google or amazon and more toward starbucks, costa etc. Playing Devils advocate would we be better or worse off if they took the decision to shut 50% or whatever of their outlets and make the staff redundant etc if taxation made them unprofitable?

Leave money in the hands of the entrepreneurs and like Jack and Fred they will generate more. It's the nature of the beast. Take it off them and hand it out to the shirkers and n'er do wells and it will disappear.

Obviously there needs to be a balance of sorts but killing the goose that laid golden eggs is the policy of either the jealous, the idlers of the foolish. This dom issue labour is proposing would be just cutting our nose off to spite our face.

Don't you have any money in ISA's jim?

ISAs cost the Treasury pennies and are not in the same category as the billions lost through avoidance / evasion by companies. Yo knew that.

Jack and Fred sold out, enriching their families while avoiding tax at the same time. Money in the hands of the 1 per cent while the rest flounder. Labour's proposals are fair and equitable and the noises coming out of the nothing more than hysterical scaremongering.

Not forgetting High Street business rates and rental which are massive and an ever increasing reason behind boarded up shops and offices etc.

Quite possible and obvioulsy not google or amazon and more toward starbucks, costa etc, would we be better or worse off if they took the decision to shut 50% or whatever of their outlets and make the staff redundant etc if taxation made them unprofitable?

Yes, because their functions would hopefully be replaced by better, more ethical companies

ISAs cost the Treasury pennies and are not in the same category as the billions lost through avoidance / evasion by companies. Yo knew that.

Jack and Fred sold out, enriching their families while avoiding tax at the same time. Money in the hands of the 1 per cent while the rest flounder. Labour's proposals are fair and equitable and the noises coming out of the nothing more than hysterical scaremongering.

Yes, because their functions would hopefully be replaced by better, more ethical companies

Lots of empty exisiting properties in every town and city centre. Open your eyes.

You asked me earlier if I have no principles. Quite clearly YOU don't.

High street is failing for many reasons - which you also know if you think about it. Business rates small part of much wider issue.

All the more reason not to bite the hand that is feeding you. You are suffering from the politics of envy.

btw it appears you and gav have wound your necks in re: the total cost of MP's to the country. Nothing like a bit of lateral thinking eh? You two should try it.

High street is failing for many reasons - which you also know if you think about it. Business rates small part of much wider issue.

Business rates are a major part of small businesses costs

You asked me earlier if I have no principles. Quite clearly YOU don't.

btw it appears you and gav have wound your necks in re: the total cost of MP's to the country. Nothing like a bit of lateral thinking eh? You two should try it.

Jim has you wound up like a cuckoo clock, its great reading, keep biting Gordon :tu:

As for: re: the total cost of MP's to the country - Didn't read your post.

• Moderation Lead

Labour in full panic mode in Scotland now, it has finally dawned on Ed that if they fail in Scotland, they are toast and only themselves to blame

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32249753

The SNP's policies were pretty much all bull dung ahead of the independence vote.

Phantom oil, assuming the cost of benefits etc, it just seems like Mr Milliband is just stating the obvious.

The SNP's policies were pretty much all bull dung. Phantom oil, assuming the cost of benefits etc, it just seems like he's stating the obvious.

I think he is reacting to the latest polls !

• Moderation Lead

I think he is reacting to the latest polls !

I think barring a minor miracle the SNP will win easily in Scotland tbh. Since Salmond has jogged on from the spotlight, their new leader seems to have a bit more about her.

(I.e. she's not stirring up bother by trying to re-create Braveheart).

St Wilfred's teacher, relative of mine, 2yrs out of Uni, 24k. Academy teachers are on slightly more, mates wife works at Darwen academy, been a teacher for over 10yrs, 29k.

So if you can tell me where teachers earn 42k I'll let them both know. The head of Darwen Vale earns around 50k, I saw the advert in the paper!

Sorry for taking this off topic but this needs addressing.

Head teacher of local primary school on over 70k pa. In the style of Rafa, FACT!!

Archived