• Scottish National Party
    • Green
    • Respect
    • Democratic Unionist Party
    • Plaid Cymru
    • SDLP
    • Alliance Party
    • No one - They are all a shower of s#@t

You may not like Cameron and his lads but the Tories have always been better than labour with the purse strings and right now Miliband and Balls are just complete buffoons and cannot be voted in. Obviously, if you have a @#/? job and need topping up to buy the luxuries that others work hard for, then labour is the party for you.

How many elections have you been able to vote in?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

It was called home economics in my day, but yes, as long as it is done properly, (all we did at school was make cake).

I think theres a lot of people who just dont realise the rubbish not only in ready meals, but also in jars of pasta sauce etc.. why buy rubbish when you can make your own cheaper, tastier, healthier and if your organised not very much longer?

Quite right. Cooking from scratch is far better for you and something I've been doing for a while now.

On a semi-related note, and tying in with what theno said about exercise, what really grinds my gears is seeing fat people at work take the lift up ONE (and two) flight(s) of stairs!! Then no doubt whingeing about their weight! :angry2:

• Backroom

Zero hour = evil

Zero hour is the only way I had a wage last year. Made the most of it, mind.

It was called home economics in my day, but yes, as long as it is done properly, (all we did at school was make cake).

I think theres a lot of people who just dont realise the rubbish not only in ready meals, but also in jars of pasta sauce etc.. why buy rubbish when you can make your own cheaper, tastier, healthier and if your organised not very much longer?

Even the difference between a tin of tomatoes and just cutting your own up with some oil, onion and garlic is remarkable! Overall it costs about the same too.

If healthy food was made convenient over junk food, no-one would need educating!

Make your own rubbish? :D

Back on the election, our PM-in-waiting will tomorrow outline plans to outlaw zero hours contracts. About time too.

Zero hour = evil

Ed made a change from boring us continually by banging on solely about about the NHS to include this issue with zero hours in his meagre electoral campaign. Somebody must have told him no ones bothered about the NHS except those who work in it. Questioned on the Labour Tour bus by Bill Turnbull Ed made an impassioned and emotional condemnation of zero hours contracts. Turnbull let him finish then floored little Ed by revealing that a survey revealed that more than 2/3rds of people on zero hours contracts don't actually want to work any more hours!! :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32142304

I can't stand the Tories and their southern biased and pandering to the hedge funds.

But equally I can't see Miliband and Balls running the country, they're like Laurel and Hardy.

So despite all the @#/? and wind so far in this thread it's catch 22 situation for most that will admit to it.

People died for the vote, but Im seriously considering not voting this time around as no party has any interest in the common man or woman, career politicians out for themselves.

In irrelevant point GAV. Should the election favour them Milliband and Balls still won't be allowed to run the country. They will of course pretend they are but by supreme irony that honour will go to Nicola Sturgeon, Alex Salmond and the rest of the SNP. :angry2:

Quite right. Cooking from scratch is far better for you and something I've been doing for a while now.

On a semi-related note, and tying in with what theno said about exercise, what really grinds my gears is seeing fat people at work take the lift up ONE (and two) flight(s) of stairs!! Then no doubt whingeing about their weight! :angry2:

Surely you don't expect them to walk to the canteen and then back again do you K-Hod? ^_^

It was called home economics in my day

Wasn't that change made when boys were first included? Something to do with the first stages of equality. Before then when it was DS it was only available to girls. We had to do woodwork / metalwork.

Greens? Quality? Struth! Those two words don't even belong in the same sentence. This is hilarious.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/green-party/11431756/Green-Partys-Natalie-Bennett-gives-excruciating-radio-interview.html

:wstu:

You're better than that Gordon, I'm far from stupid!!!

Please note K-Hod the 'with stupid' was placed after the link to comment on Natalie Bennet and obviously referred to her. If I'd wanted to say you were stupid I'd have put that after my retort to you.

Anyway ...... How come you didn't spot that? Are you stupid? :P

How many elections have you been able to vote in?

I'm 41 Gav, and I know that Labour is the party for the lazy and feckless. History tells you that whenever Labour come to power they balls up the accounts and it almost certainly leads to a recession. I don't like the tories, but I respect that they can run a country's books better.

• Moderation Lead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19967397

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/6348/economics/cost-of-benefit-fraud-v-tax-evasion-in-uk/

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/feb/01/welfare-fraud-tax-avoidance

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/revealed-47bn-corporation-tax-lost-through-evasion-and-avoidance-as-royal-mail-is-sold-for-650m-less-than-it-is-worth-8874873.html

That's before taking into account MPs expenses for mortgages on second homes, moat cleaners etc. (Not all expense claims are bogus obviously).

The cost of benefits to us as a nation is a problem, and was undoubtedly incentivised at one point, but tax loopholes need to be closed and fast as well, I'll not hold my breath on that happening mind. The Tories go after the poor, Labour go after the rich.

I've absolutely no problem with companies making money and people getting rich, but they should pay tax like the rest of us.

Costs that could be recouped and pay for urgently needed staffing in public services.

Labour are going down an odd route attacking zero hours contracts as though its a votes winner. As stated for some people they work very well therefore why try and ban them out-right? The legislation should be there to protect the employee and at least the Tories have tackled the ridiculous "exclusive" contracts. They, I agree, were evil. It seems a lot of people are jumping on the "that sounds evil" bandwagon without fully understanding all the implications.

With regards to the overall election, I'm unsure Labour will form a coalition with the SNP as I think that would be political suicide in England. I wonder if, whoever "wins", will just form a minority government and hope they get things through parliament? That would probably lead to another general election as nothing gets done but I just can't see who would form a coalition with the divisions in opinions. Maybe that's just me being naive as I would not want a government formed out of coalitions with either SNP or UKIP.

I would prefer an outright Labour victory but a coalition with the SNP / Greens and / or the Lib Dems would be fine with me. Anything to keep the party of greed and privilege out of Downing Street. I like Nicola Sturgeon - I think she, Alex Salmond and Ed Miliband would work well together. Their vision of a social democracy based on community, equality and fairness is welcome after 30 years of market-led dogma that has led to a society that works for only a few and has led to a record gap between the richest and poorest.

The Tories is also the party for the tax-avoiders that cost the country more than is paid out in benefits.

Hey! I'm guilty of Tax avoidance. To avoid paying an increasingly heavy amount of road tax I deliberately chose a car with emissions below 150g/km and of a lower value to reduce the VAT burden. Oh! And I always buy sandwiches and snacks to 'take out' rather than 'eat in' too.

I must say find it difficult to believe that you have never practised tax avoidence K-Hod.

I would prefer an outright Labour victory but a coalition with the SNP / Greens and / or the Lib Dems would be fine with me. Anything to keep the party of greed and privilege out of Downing Street. I like Nicola Sturgeon - I think she, Alex Salmond and Ed Miliband would work well together. Their vision of a social democracy based on community, equality and fairness is welcome after 30 years of market-led dogma that has led to a society that works for only a few and has led to a record gap between the richest and poorest.

A coalition with the SNP would be the end of the UK,

you can't blame Labour's failure in Scotland on the Tories

Interesting election possibilities abound and especially with that small population North of the border. Sturgeon and Salmond and what is tantamount to a smallish group of SNP MP's would dominate Labour in the way that we have seen a small group of For Darwen and muslim councillors dominating BwD Council. BUT Jim have you considered with the Scottish nation currently united in the process of kicking virtually every Labour MP out of Scotland that it might be very ill advised for the SNP to bring them straight back in again? Would Salmond and Sturgeon be that stupid I wonder? A thistle by any other name is still a thistle, or something like that.

• Moderation Lead

Hey! I'm guilty of Tax avoidance. To avoid paying an increasingly heavy amount of road tax I deliberately chose a car with emissions below 150g/km and of a lower value to reduce the VAT burden. Oh! And I always buy sandwiches and snacks to 'take out' rather than 'eat in' too.

I must say find it difficult to believe that you have never practised tax avoidence K-Hod.

I make my own sandwiches :lol:

But yeah, fair one, I moved from a VW Polo to a VW Golf TDI and saved myself £90 per year in tax, so guilty as charged! :rover:

I make my own sandwiches :lol:

But yeah, fair one, I moved from a VW Polo to a VW Golf TDI and saved myself £90 per year in tax, so guilty as charged! :rover:

And most people have ISA's (or the equivalent)

Their vision of a social democracy based on community, equality and fairness is welcome after 30 years of market-led dogma that has led to a society that works for only a few and has led to a record gap between the richest and poorest.

But I thought the last Labour government could do no wrong and none of the current issues were of their making?

• Moderation Lead

And most people have ISA's (or the equivalent)

But I thought the last Labour government could do no wrong and none of the current issues were of their making?

Well yeah, I've one of those as well, but I do pay Tax/NI each month to be fair....(and into a pension)

I don't think any of those examples are in the same stratosphere as the amount of corporation tax Starbucks, Google, Amazon and Facebook have avoided in the UK to be fair, even if they are technically tax avoidance!!

Ed Milliband thinks the next James Bond should be played by a woman, so he certainly won't be getting my vote. The man's out of his tree.

But then this is the same guy who wore a t-shirt that said: "This is what a feminist looks like" which was stitched together by women in Mauritius being paid 62p/hour.

Who took part in a photo-op piece, posing as a man of the people in his second kitchen in his posh North London pad.

He should never have been elected as leader, he'd struggle as leader of a cub pack. If the Tories can't hand him out a right good thumping they should pack the game in. It's only the ideologues and the sheep who'll vote for him.

I'm 41 Gav, and I know that Labour is the party for the lazy and feckless. History tells you that whenever Labour come to power they balls up the accounts and it almost certainly leads to a recession. I don't like the tories, but I respect that they can run a country's books better.

They can run the countries books better if you live down south maybe. You only need to look at the train network to see just how much the Tories care about the North and Cameron wanted to swipe a few for down South until Jack Straw intervened.

In this day and age a rich country like ours shouldn't have food banks in most Northern towns. These people aren't scroungers, many are working famalies on crap contracts that can't make ends meet. Why are these food banks in the North? It's disgusting and to watch Cameron squirm under questioning from Paxman shows he's no answer to it, more or less denying it goes on!

Look at the pledges broken by the Tories, Labour last time around and the lib dems, why vote for any other them? They'll sell you down the river in a flash given the chance.

Politicians should be made to have at least 5yrs in real employment before standing in my opinion. Maybe then they'll understand what people go through in day to day life.

Labour are going down an odd route attacking zero hours contracts as though its a votes winner. As stated for some people they work very well therefore why try and ban them out-right? The legislation should be there to protect the employee and at least the Tories have tackled the ridiculous "exclusive" contracts. They, I agree, were evil. It seems a lot of people are jumping on the "that sounds evil" bandwagon without fully understanding all the implications.

With regards to the overall election, I'm unsure Labour will form a coalition with the SNP as I think that would be political suicide in England. I wonder if, whoever "wins", will just form a minority government and hope they get things through parliament? That would probably lead to another general election as nothing gets done but I just can't see who would form a coalition with the divisions in opinions. Maybe that's just me being naive as I would not want a government formed out of coalitions with either SNP or UKIP.

Well the legislation labour are talking about is that an employee has the right to a contract after 12 weeks of regular work, if they want one, but then as you say again some people jump on the bandwagon without fully understanding the facts

Make your own rubbish? :D

Thats one way to rate my culinary skills.

I blame Thatchers lack of domestic science / home economics.

Wasn't that change made when boys were first included? Something to do with the first stages of equality. Before then when it was DS it was only available to girls. We had to do woodwork / metalwork.

I don't know when it changed, but i had to do small amounts of cooking, woodwork and metalwork. (Late 80s early 90s). Enough to have very basic knowledge of all but mastery of none.

I will be voting for the tories party.

I want lower taxes and keep more of the wages that I have earned each week.

We need to keep on the same economy plan we are on. Been the right plan for the last 4 and half years. But over 100 business leaders in the country have supported the Tories

Changing government now would clearly set up back years by spending more money than we have coming in, Higher taxes and spending more on welfare.

I will be voting for the tories party.

I want lower taxes and keep more of the wages that I have earned each week.

We need to keep on the same economy plan we are on. Been the right plan for the last 4 and half years. But over 100 business leaders in the country have supported the Tories

Changing government now would clearly set up back years by spending more money than we have coming in, Higher taxes and spending more on welfare.

I agree Chaddy.

They can run the countries books better if you live down south maybe. You only need to look at the train network to see just how much the Tories care about the North and Cameron wanted to swipe a few for down South until Jack Straw intervened.

In this day and age a rich country like ours shouldn't have food banks in most Northern towns. These people aren't scroungers, many are working famalies on crap contracts that can't make ends meet. Why are these food banks in the North? It's disgusting and to watch Cameron squirm under questioning from Paxman shows he's no answer to it, more or less denying it goes on!

Look at the pledges broken by the Tories, Labour last time around and the lib dems, why vote for any other them? They'll sell you down the river in a flash given the chance.

Politicians should be made to have at least 5yrs in real employment before standing in my opinion. Maybe then they'll understand what people go through in day to day life.

I agree with your last point but not about Food banks. If I stood on a street corner handing out one £10 note FREE to everyone who comes up to me it'd probably cost me a few hundred quid in an afternoon. If I did the same the day after it'd be couple of thousand, the day after that and I'd be trampled into the ground. Capiche Gav?

Food banks are a load of @#/? cos if people want to buy staples then stay away from supermarkets because everywhere else they are bloody cheap! If there is a real need for food banks heaven forbid then food banks should be restricted to real, healthy and basic food e.g. 25kg bags of potatoes, carrots, onions, swedes, cabbage etc .trays of baked beans, trays of small or XL eggs, cooking oil, bags of pasta and rice, salt and tins of sardines / mince etc to supply a good protein balance.

Archived