• Scottish National Party
    • Green
    • Respect
    • Democratic Unionist Party
    • Plaid Cymru
    • SDLP
    • Alliance Party
    • No one - They are all a shower of s#@t

120k a year no normal person earns that .

Chicken feed in the south east. And there are those who earn more than that per week. Which is great if you can get it - every employee should screw their employers for as much as they can. But there are so many tax avoidance and evasion schemes none are paying 45 per cent plus as they should be. Note to Ed Balls - shut all such schemes down as soon as you get in No 11.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many people in Blackburn earn 120k a year? or are we back in that Pleasington bubble again?

The average wage in the UK is around 30k.

If you're lucky enough to earn 120k a year you should pay more tax, you can aford it, simple as that.

Even that's massively bumped up by the super rich earners. I've hardly met a person in Blackburn and locality on anywhere near that.

Chicken feed in the south east. And there are those who earn more than that per week. Which is great if you can get it - every employee should screw their employers for as much as they can. But there are so many tax avoidance and evasion schemes none are paying 45 per cent plus as they should be. Note to Ed Balls - shut all such schemes down as soon as you get in No 11.

I still don't understand the contracting world. Labour brought in a regulation called ir45 which was meant to stop contractors using umbrella companies and the like to avoid paying tax. That simply did not work and contractors now just pay dividends to themselves somehow getting themselves outside of ir45. Completely immoral but I would certainly do it if I was a contractor. What I dont get is why things like this are still not closed down?

Also, we lambast the high earners for avoiding paying tax (obviously not all do) but the same can be said for all those "cash in hand" jobs. These won't be high earners but still avoiding paying tax on earnings. Are they right or wrong?

Finally, on corporation tax for the likes of Amazon, if they payed the correct amount for earnings in this country, this would just be reflected in price rises. Then the consumer, which would generally be average earners looking to get the best deal, will now have to pay more, taking away from their pockets. Either that or the price is now too high so Amazon don't make a sale which leads to less tax revenue anyway. There's a fine balance and its a bigger equation than just "fine them all"

Thenodrog I think you'll find the figure is actually just short of £140k but I see your point.

That presumes a working life of 18-65.

I still have it different although it matters little because the principle is the same.

btw Have you factored in that personal allowance goes down by £1 for every £2 over £100,000? At £120000 allowance was zero but is now £600 in 2015/16.

How many people in Blackburn earn 120k a year? or are we back in that Pleasington bubble again?

The average wage in the UK is around 30k.

If you're lucky enough to earn 120k a year you should pay more tax, you can aford it, simple as that.

The first two lines are completely irrelevent and indicate a very narrow minded person. Blackburn like it or not is part of the UK and doesn't operate under different tax rules.

As for the last line that is just pathetic. Why should one person subsidise others disproportionately?

I still don't understand the contracting world. Labour brought in a regulation called ir45 which was meant to stop contractors using umbrella companies and the like to avoid paying tax. That simply did not work and contractors now just pay dividends to themselves somehow getting themselves outside of ir45. Completely immoral but I would certainly do it if I was a contractor. What I dont get is why things like this are still not closed down?

Also, we lambast the high earners for avoiding paying tax (obviously not all do) but the same can be said for all those "cash in hand" jobs. These won't be high earners but still avoiding paying tax on earnings. Are they right or wrong?

Finally, on corporation tax for the likes of Amazon, if they payed the correct amount for earnings in this country, this would just be reflected in price rises. Then the consumer, which would generally be average earners looking to get the best deal, will now have to pay more, taking away from their pockets. Either that or the price is now too high so Amazon don't make a sale which leads to less tax revenue anyway. There's a fine balance and its a bigger equation than just "fine them all"

I know how builders operate - one lives next door - and most of it is downright cheating. There needs to be a universal law that covers all the scams they get up to because at the moment it is wide open to abuse. Perhaps HMRC should assume every builder is on the fiddle and tax them at a higher rate than everyone else.

I wouldn't shed any tears for Amazon. It is an appalling company that moves its money around the world to evade taxes and treats its employees badly. Like Starbucks and Google I refuse to use it. Brussels is on Google's case - these vast US multinationals need bringing into line.

As for the last line that is just pathetic. Why should one person subsidise others disproportionately?

You're right - the poorest pay more tax pro rata than the rich. It needs to be addressed.

I know how builders operate - one lives next door - and most of it is downright cheating. There needs to be a universal law that covers all the scams they get up to because at the moment it is wide open to abuse. Perhaps HMRC should assume every builder is on the fiddle and tax them at a higher rate than everyone else.

I wouldn't shed any tears for Amazon. It is an appalling company that moves its money around the world to evade taxes and treats its employees badly. Like Starbucks and Google I refuse to use it. Brussels is on Google's case - these vast US multinationals need bringing into line.

You're right - the poorest pay more tax pro rata than the rich. It needs to be addressed.

How much is it in £'s

But the likes of Google and Amazon won't shed many tears. They'll cry to the press that they already pay massive amounts of national insurance, VAT receipts, etc etc and all that will really happen is a few at the bottom end (you know, those low earners that need jobs) will get fired and prices will go up which will affect everyone. Just randomly taxing and prosecuting without looking at the consequences just won't work. Also, as been said many time before, it's not like these companies are doing anything illegal at all. They are using the system that consecutive governments have done nothing about (as it suits all their own business needs as well).

But the likes of Google and Amazon won't shed many tears. They'll cry to the press that they already pay massive amounts of national insurance, VAT receipts, etc etc and all that will really happen is a few at the bottom end (you know, those low earners that need jobs) will get fired and prices will go up which will affect everyone. Just randomly taxing and prosecuting without looking at the consequences just won't work. Also, as been said many time before, it's not like these companies are doing anything illegal at all. They are using the system that consecutive governments have done nothing about (as it suits all their own business needs as well).

Amazon are one of the greatest abusers of zero- hours contracts. It wouldn't be missed because it would be replaced by another (hopefully more responsible) company that employed people on decent wages and with decent contracts. Your way of thinking is just a race to the bottom. These companies need to be brought to account.

The first two lines are completely irrelevent and indicate a very narrow minded person. Blackburn like it or not is part of the UK and doesn't operate under different tax rules.

Narrow minded eh? Let's run a poll, you'd lose by a country mile.

People on big wages should help the poorest in society, it's just common decency in my book.

If I earned 100k a year I'd be more than happy to pay more tax if that was going to help the poorest.

Then again I acknowledge we have a problem, food banks etc, Cameron doesn't.

Only Farage talking sense tonight

I'd have to disagree. He's making stopping immigration sound like it's going to solve everything.I'm liking what Sturgeon's saying a lot. It's just a shame she wants to split the UK up.

I'd have to disagree. He's making stopping immigration sound like it's going to solve everything.I'm liking what Sturgeon's saying a lot. It's just a shame she wants to split the UK up.

Sturgeon came across as largely irrevelant (sorry !) Farage made them all uncomfortable, truth hurts.

• Backroom

I put on FB that I'm oddly torn between UKIP and Labour. They are the only parties (of those I can vote for) that came across as honest. Be interesting to see who sways me.

I knew Farage was honest, but Miliband seemed more forthright with what he thought too.

Otherwise, I was impressed by Wood and Sturgeon as well.

Farage lost my support when he talked about immigrants with HIV draining the Nhs, he must have lost thousands of votes with that one. Yes he's genuine, answers questions but he's a bit mad and voters should beware.

I still have it different although it matters little because the principle is the same.

btw Have you factored in that personal allowance goes down by £1 for every £2 over £100,000? At £120000 allowance was zero but is now £600 in 2015/16.

I didn't know that. Your £120k is closer in that case.

For me, Cameron won that debate.

He was strong and made his points very clear.

I thought he looked petrified Chaddy, very uncomfortable and is probably the reason he wouldn't do the head to head.

Sturgeon won the debate in my opinion.

Cameron lost for sounding like a broken record on the economy, on non-related subjects. He also seems unable to answer a question.

I think thats the end for Clegg too, the lib dem vote will vanish.

Narrow minded eh? Let's run a poll, you'd lose by a country mile.

People on big wages should help the poorest in society, it's just common decency in my book.

If I earned 100k a year I'd be more than happy to pay more tax if that was going to help the poorest.

Then again I acknowledge we have a problem, food banks etc, Cameron doesn't.

If you earned 100k, you would be paying more tax

I know nothing of builders but what I have observed over the years is the significant untaxed benefits owners of small businesses enjoy.

From what I've seen it's not deliberate tax evasion but simply a lack of appreciation by the owner of the untaxed benefits small business owners gain when those benefits would be taxed for an employee. I've a feeling this is much more substantial than appreciated.

Farage lost my support when he talked about immigrants with HIV draining the Nhs, he must have lost thousands of votes with that one. Yes he's genuine, answers questions but he's a bit mad and voters should beware.

Farage used to be a banker, gets very uppity when Banks are criticised and UKIP are funded by some very wealthy donors, some of them from the City, some from the Lords . If we leave the EU then the Banks won't be governed from Brussels and the big Banks won't have to comply with their rules, e,g, the possible introduction of the Financial Transactions Tax.

Farage is like Boris Johnson, a 'personality' who is in the pocket of big business.

Sturgeon won that by a country mile. Cameron came across as what he is, a passionless PR man devoid of principle.

Archived