BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lower League Players (Ones To Watch)

Neal

There's no doubt that if you're willing to take the risk and buy at the correct time that there is value in the lower leagues. Look at Afobe, Andre Grey and Calumn Wilson... All playing lower league football only a couple of seasons ago and now all commanding about 10 million. If/when this embargo gets lifted then this is an avenue that needs to be explored more often. I'll make a start...

Josh Windass (son of Dean) at Stanley, scoring goals for fun and looks like he has some real ability and got another 2 yesterday.

Sawyers at Walsall looks gifted, getting goals from midfield and could be useful.

Bradshaw again at Walsall also looks a goalscorer he and Sawyers look like they have a good understanding.

Feel free to throw yours into the mix and let's hope someone in the scouting network at Rovers takes note.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great thread. We need another striker in Jan but have no money. Only way we are going to find one to sign permie is picking up someone from League 1 or 2.

To be honest the standard of defending in the Championship is so abysmal that you will get chances. It's all about if you can finish them (which Koita, Brown and Delfy patently can't)

I'd be quite happy to sign a windass type player who knows where the goal is and has a good record.

I have only seen snippets but I like the look of Cameron Mcgeehan at Luton.

That the blonde hair lad they got from Norwich? Watched him against Stoke and looked absolutely class, definitely championship standard.

Just looked, was at Norwich... Goal scoring record is good, should be watching him.

Good shout.

Firstly, very good thread started by Neal.

Tom Bradshaw is a player Ive mention before on here and on twitter. Quality striker. Was linked to Reading during the summer and Walsall supposedly turned down a bid from Swindon for him.

Also Kemer Roofe from Oxford. Goalscoring midfielder. Signed from WBA. has scored 5 goals in 8 games this season.

Rovers should be looking in the lower leagues for players who have the quality to play at this level

Great thread. We need another striker in Jan but have no money. Only way we are going to find one to sign permie is picking up someone from League 1 or 2.

To be honest the standard of defending in the Championship is so abysmal that you will get chances. It's all about if you can finish them (which Koita, Brown and Delfy patently can't)

I'd be quite happy to sign a windass type player who knows where the goal is and has a good record.

But which League One or League Two players are going to be sold on a free or loaned?

And which is the bigger gamble? Selling Rhodes to get out of embargo to take a risk on a lower league lad... or taking a risk on replacing the manager.

It's a great idea for a thread but, as Neal rightly pointed out in his OP, this relies on us being out of embargo first. I don't see how that is going to happen.

There's no doubt that if you're willing to take the risk and buy at the correct time that there is value in the lower leagues. Look at Afobe, Andre Grey and Calumn Wilson... All playing lower league football only a couple of seasons ago and now all commanding about 10 million. If/when this embargo gets lifted then this is an avenue that needs to be explored more often. I'll make a start...

Josh Windass (son of Dean) at Stanley, scoring goals for fun and looks like he has some real ability and got another 2 yesterday.

Sawyers at Walsall looks gifted, getting goals from midfield and could be useful.

Bradshaw again at Walsall also looks a goalscorer he and Sawyers look like they have a good understanding.

Feel free to throw yours into the mix and let's hope someone in the scouting network at Rovers takes note.

Great thread Neal.

Not got anyone to throw in at this point but the ones that tend to make it -or at least the ones who have impressed against us down the years all have one thing in common - excellent pace.

Its something I don't really think we have ever been over blessed with through all my time watching Rovers with one or two moderate exceptions. I am not suggesting signing players with pace and nothing else but those who can play a bit and have serious pace tend to destroy this league as defenders rarely can cope.

But good work Neal, be interesting to see what emerges on here.

But which League One or League Two players are going to be sold on a free or loaned?

And which is the bigger gamble? Selling Rhodes to get out of embargo to take a risk on a lower league lad... or taking a risk on replacing the manager.

It's a great idea for a thread but, as Neal rightly pointed out in his OP, this relies on us being out of embargo first. I don't see how that is going to happen.

I wouldnt sell Rhodes under any circs, maybe a club will offer a big enough chunk for someone else. At the moment it seems unlikely but it could happen. The wingers and the centre backs all could start attracting interest depending how they develop.

To be honest the more I watch Marshall the more I wonder if we would be better off with someone with a simpler more direct game. On his day great, but whole matches pass him by.

He could, if he had a good run of form,be sold for 3-4m in today's (completely barmy) market. Might be a bullet worth biting to get out of embargo.

Remember championing Bradshaw twelve months back, hes going all the way to the PL.

Jermaine Grandison - 6ft4 Center half, the lower league Samba. Shrewsbury

Michael Bostwick - Proper enforcer in the center of midfield. Peterborough.

Jodi Jones - Lighting, front man and can play on the wings, only 17. Dagenham & Redbridge

Peter Vincenti - Very much a clone of George Boyd. Rochdale

Brad Potts - For some reason signed for Blackpool from Carlisle this summer, excellent center midfielder and only 21.

Harry Davis - Son of the manager, Steve a real talented center half, cultured. Only 23 but played 150 games.

Hakeeb Adelakun - Number 10 type player and seems to be flourishing at Scunny. Only 19/20.

Harry Forester - If only he'd have stayed at Brentford, think Dickov at Doncaster hasn't got the best out of him.

Jason Cummings - Not in the English lower leagues but the guy is a real poacher, Jordan esque for Hibs. Only 20.

Bradley Dack - Center midfielder and seems to have hit the ground running this year. Only 21.

Remember championing Bradshaw twelve months back, hes going all the way to the PL.

Jermaine Grandison - 6ft4 Center half, the lower league Samba. Shrewsbury

Michael Bostwick - Proper enforcer in the center of midfield. Peterborough.

Jodi Jones - Lighting, front man and can play on the wings, only 17. Dagenham & Redbridge

Peter Vincenti - Very much a clone of George Boyd. Rochdale

Brad Potts - For some reason signed for Blackpool from Carlisle this summer, excellent center midfielder and only 21.

Harry Davis - Son of the manager, Steve a real talented center half, cultured. Only 23 but played 150 games.

Hakeeb Adelakun - Number 10 type player and seems to be flourishing at Scunny. Only 19/20.

Harry Forester - If only he'd have stayed at Brentford, think Dickov at Doncaster hasn't got the best out of him.

Jason Cummings - Not in the English lower leagues but the guy is a real poacher, Jordan esque for Hibs. Only 20.

Bradley Dack - Center midfielder and seems to have hit the ground running this year. Only 21.

Good work, I'd not heard of any of those besides Bostwick so it will be interesting for me to keep an eye out in future.

Only domestic lower league players? Or can I throw in a couple of names from the Norwegian Tippeliga ?

Throw in a few if you want... You never know who might be watching.

Some players from Tippeligaen :

Martin Linnes (24), right back, Molde FK. Would give Henley some competition, great goal against Fenerbache recently.

Kristoffer Ajer (17), def midfielder, IK Start.

Iver Fossum (19), attacking midfielder, Strømsgodset.

Ghayas Zahid (21), attacking midfielder, Vålerenga.

Rafik Zekhini (17), winger, Odd Grenland.

Pål Andre Helland (25), winger. Rosenborg.

Some crap music in some of these videos but...

Chaps, the topic of our embargo can be discussed in other threads. Let's just keep this one simple, like I said in the opening post this is to discuss lower league players we should be looking at "IF/WHEN" we get out of embargo.

I think that theory has been totally disproved.

You're joking Neal?

I remember arguing with a number of fans on here when we were selling off PL quality players and replacing them with the likes of what we have now. They argued that there were plenty of players in the Championship who could adequately replace them. So what happened? - we bought a whole squad of Championship players and got Championship football.

If we want to get back to the PL, then we need players who firstly have the technique, then a bit of pace and a bit of strength and are able to compete with the best in this league. There's a reason why league one players are still in league one. There might be the odd one in the league below us who could step up, but really that isn't the answer.

You're joking Neal?

I remember arguing with a number of fans on here when we were selling off PL quality players and replacing them with the likes of what we have now. They argued that there were plenty of players in the Championship who could adequately replace them. So what happened? - we bought a whole squad of Championship players and got Championship football.

If we want to get back to the PL, then we need players who firstly have the technique, then a bit of pace and a bit of strength and are able to compete with the best in this league. There's a reason why league one players are still in league one. There might be the odd one in the league below us who could step up, but really that isn't the answer.

All that shows is that we recruited poorly.

I bet we could produce between us on here an XI from League one and two who could finish higher than us in the league. It would be interesting to see how many of that XI go on to better things.

Archived