BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lower League Players (Ones To Watch)

Neal

Sign division one players, get division one football..............

Not sure that's true. Loads of players played for Swansea, Bournemouth and Southampton in leagues one and two and are now looking like Premier league players. Great thread this.

Interesting that Denzel ignored this post.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're joking Neal?

I remember arguing with a number of fans on here when we were selling off PL quality players and replacing them with the likes of what we have now. They argued that there were plenty of players in the Championship who could adequately replace them. So what happened? - we bought a whole squad of Championship players and got Championship football.

If we want to get back to the PL, then we need players who firstly have the technique, then a bit of pace and a bit of strength and are able to compete with the best in this league. There's a reason why league one players are still in league one. There might be the odd one in the league below us who could step up, but really that isn't the answer.

So all of them are useless? Did you see Ritchie's goal at the weekend?

Bringing in lower league shipmen means crossing palms with gold and silver, something we just can't do, but I agree with the theory brother Neal.

Of course, as I said this is about if/when we get out of embargo and what players we should be looking at.

See Bradshaw scored again yesterday.

So all of them are useless? Did you see Ritchie's goal at the weekend?

I said you might pick up the odd one - thought that was clear enough. However, I also said we had this same argument when we were getting rid of the entire pl squad. There was this view then - and some have the same view now - that there is plenty of untapped talent in the lower leagues all around the world. If a club makes that some kind of plan to take the club forwards then it's only going to go one way - to lower league football.

People seem to want to pick out individuals to use as an example that it can be successful. Well here's a few examples. Player of the year Keith Andrews. Player of the year Alan Judge. Player of the year Chris Brown. Shebby Singh also said publicly that there is plenty of talent in the lower leagues around the world and he went out to prove it. Remember the 8 (was it) Portugese lads all signed with that idea? Remember the excitement at the time on here? "Portugese under 21 player - must be good". "It's the way forwards for a club like us, buy young and cheap, sell for profit" - all those kind of comments. Where are all those players now, Alex Marrow and all.

In theory it's OK buying from the lower leagues, but in practice it really never works out if it's used as some kind of plan. If Chelsea bought entirely from league one, they'd get league one football too. The games 90% about the players and most players find their right level. Got to understand as well, most of the good young lower league players get snapped up very quickly by the big PL clubs.

So as a one off, we might get lucky going down that route, - which to be fair is probably, or possibly the idea behind this topic. I don't really know that.

Bournemouth and Burnley are two recent examples of teams being promoted without getting players from the premier league. They were a mix of Championship and lower league acquisitions.

It's daft to say you have to sign players from the premier league to get promoted. It helps but its not a requirement.

The key is to sign good players. What league they are in is not the issue. Over the years the Championship has seen loads of excellent players come up from League One or abroad.

Portugeezers, Andrew etc did not fail because they did not come from the premier league. They failed because they were not good players.

Over the years Rovers have signed loads of players from weaker divisions who have done well for us:- Nelsen, Samba, Pedersen, Derbyshire, Mokoena, Stead, Nzonzi etc etc

Also we've signed loads of premier league footballers who have been terrible for us - Best, Murphy, Etuhu etc.

Den - really what you mean is "sign bad players get first division football". And I don't think anyone can disagree with that because its bloody obvious!

Bournemouth and Burnley are two recent examples of teams being promoted without getting players from the premier league. They were a mix of Championship and lower league acquisitions.

It's daft to say you have to sign players from the premier league to get promoted. It helps but its not a requirement.

The key is to sign good players. What league they are in is not the issue. Over the years the Championship has seen loads of excellent players come up from League One or abroad.

Portugeezers, Andrew etc did not fail because they did not come from the premier league. They failed because they were not good players.

Over the years Rovers have signed loads of players from weaker divisions who have done well for us:- Nelsen, Samba, Pedersen, Derbyshire, Mokoena, Stead, Nzonzi etc etc

Also we've signed loads of premier league footballers who have been terrible for us - Best, Murphy, Etuhu etc.

Den - really what you mean is "sign bad players get first division football". And I don't think anyone can disagree with that because its bloody obvious!

It would be stupid to suggest that a club needs to sign players from the pl Joey, so I didn't. Surprised that's what you thought. But the hard facts are that we sold a squad packed with PL players and replaced them with basically players from lower leagues. That's where I said we would go - and that's where we went. Many argued at the time that there were plenty of lower league players who could make the step up, but we didn't find very many.

Basically I mean that the vast majority of players in any league lower than you are, are there because they haven't got the ability to play consistently at the higher standard. That's obvious yes, so why would anyone condone "basing a strategy for promotion" on that?

It would be stupid to suggest that a club needs to sign players from the pl Joey, so I didn't. Surprised that's what you thought. But the hard facts are that we sold a squad packed with PL players and replaced them with basically players from lower leagues. That's where I said we would go - and that's where we went. Many argued at the time that there were plenty of lower league players who could make the step up, but we didn't find very many.

Basically I mean that the vast majority of players in any league lower than you are, are there because they haven't got the ability to play consistently at the higher standard. That's obvious yes, so why would anyone condone "basing a strategy for promotion" on that?

Essentially I don't think you're saying anything beyond "we need to sign good players" - which I and everyone agrees with - and you doubt there are many in the lower leagues which is a fine opinion to have but not actually that penetrating an insight. There are some good players, some bad players, we need to find the good players. Some of those good players can be found in the lower leagues (just like some will come on loan from the prem) - what's the problem?

Not sure what the alternative strategy for promotion is? Sign players from Real Madrid? QPR? Wolves? We don't have the resources to do that sadly. We are looking at buying lower league, free transfer or foreign players because that is what we are financially able to do. And we need to find the cheap lower league gems as we have done in the past (Samba, Nelsen, Pedersen etc etc). Plus we can complement them with a couple of prem loans etc.

Andre Gray was playing for Hinckley Utd in the Conference North 3 years ago. He's just signed for the Dingles for £9m.

Ian Wright played for Greenwich Borough and only signed for Palace when he was 21. Chris Waddle was another who started late.

Plenty of players in non-league with the footballing ability to play at a high-level, it's finding the ones with the mental toughness and determination to succeed.

Saw this guy playing in MLS , commentators were raving about him , seems to have really progressed in last couple of years after being released as a kid by Norwich and breaking his foot 3 times , i know sometime's we rather arrogantly scoff at players from what we consider minor leagues but he does have impressive stats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dom_Dwyer

Saw this guy playing in MLS , commentators were raving about him , seems to have really progressed in last couple of years after being released as a kid by Norwich and breaking his foot 3 times , i know sometime's we rather arrogantly scoff at players from what we consider minor leagues but he does have impressive stats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dom_Dwyer

It's not that bad. Nelsen, Howard and Donavon all came from MLS and did well in the Premier League. To be honest I can't think of too many who have come over and been hopeless?

Archived