BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ewood

AlanK

I remember as a lad when we didn`t even have a club shop. It was the early 80`s and getting hold of a replica kit had to be done by mail through the club. It was amazing when I got my 1st full kit as a 10 year old, especially living in Oxfordshire where everything was Arsenal, Liverpool, Utd

I remember my 1st game. Sep 1980 against Luton in the upper tier of the old Riverside stand. I was also at the last game where the Nuttall street stand was used. I drove past Sunday morning and they were already pulling it down.

Great memories in the old Blackburn End.

When Jack took over, my Uncle kept telling me about all of the changes. I headed up from Oxfordshire and could not believe my eyes when I saw the 2 new stands behind the goals

We are lucky to have had Jack thats for sure. Never take Ewood for granted.

Found this 90 second vid...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbO7l3CuRww

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably my best time watching the Rovers during these few years on these two links

I love the footage in the second clip of Ronnie and Dougie together.

I have loads of videos of around the time and one day I will get around to putting them on line. Does anyone know if Whittle Blue is still around?

Jack left us a great legacy and we are lucky to have such a good ground. When its full ( I know, I know ) and in full voice, there's no better place.

But part of me will always miss our ramshackle old ground. Walking under the Rovers FC arch, 'Proper' floodlights, The Blackburn End in full voice, standing on 'your spot', standing with your mates. Ending up 20ft away from 'your' spot when we scored. Wooden Seats in The Nuttall St Stand for a treat. The Club 'Shop' that could only fit 5 people in it.

Ah, jumpers for goalposts....

Loved the old place.

Back when Ewood would roar, and sway.

Even 7000 on a wet Tuesday would make a din.

Trying to pick a best atmosphere, in the old place. City 89 was up there, but Swindon in the playoff still makes the hairs stand on end.

Your right about that!

City '89, think that was the 4 - 0, Electric as City always came in numbers. Derby in the play offs, incredible match. Newcastle '90 sticks in my head 2-0.

and one of my first games at Ewood Sheff Utd 6-1. 86' I think.

All good times.

Your right about that!

City '89, think that was the 4 - 0, Electric as City always came in numbers.

It was, Garns scored 3, broke the club scoring record, tv cameras on a rail thing along the Nuttall Street touchline was a first. Sadly all overshadowed by the Hillsbrough disaster, which happened on the same day.

Manchester City FA Cup 1969 - 42,000 on Ewood.

Never experienced anything like it, before or since.

It was downright dangerous too, crowd swaying back and forth. HSE would have a fit today.

Us young uns, think 30K on Ewood was a sight to behold. But Ewood with big gates like that and the 60K against Bolton I think it was, would have been truly memorable.

Manchester City FA Cup 1969 - 42,000 on Ewood.

Never experienced anything like it, before or since.

It was downright dangerous too, crowd swaying back and forth. HSE would have a fit today.

Wish I was old enough to have seen that.

Were you on the famous night 62000 turned out v Bolton ?

It was, Garns scored 3, broke the club scoring record, tv cameras on a rail thing along the Nuttall Street touchline was a first. Sadly all overshadowed by the Hillsbrough disaster, which happened on the same day.

Thats right Forgot about that!

I remember going home elated, thinking we'd be all over the press with that result only for the tragic events of Hillsborough to unfold, and rightly put things in perspective.

It was. I remember, we played Bournemouth a few days later, and how sombre everything was.

Remember my dearly departed grandad lifting me up when Garner scored again that night.

A side note. My uncle is a City fanatic, and I loved rubbing his nose in it.

I can vividly remember watching City's promotion video, just to see Garners hatrick. That game wasn't on there.

I was furious. Haha

Do you remember when that drunken Geordie (I think it was vs. Newcastle) clambered up onto the roof frame of the Darwen end?

Vaguely? Did it halt the game ? Or am I mistaken.

Strangest thing I remember is against Southampton at home, 92/93 the tannoy played old crowd noise at half time to gee us all up.

I think this was the match:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qzd6wXU4Qw

One of my all time favourite goals. Barry Davies as well. Such a wonderful wordsmith.

Vaguely? Did it halt the game ? Or am I mistaken.

Strangest thing I remember is against Southampton at home, 92/93 the tannoy played old crowd noise at half time to gee us all up.

One of my all time favourite goals. Barry Davies as well. Such a wonderful wordsmith.

Barry Davies' voice instantly brings back nostalgia.

Wegerle's goal was a cracker back in the day. He was a skilful player, quite awkward in style and looked like he'd lost the ball - very much like Jansen did.

Some good photos of the old Ewood here: http://ewoodpark.jimdo.com/ewood-park-history-of-the-stands/

Never realised that the BBE was only erected in 1960 and funded by the cup run. :)

The old Riverside gives me goosebumps.

I can remember my 1st few games, seated in the Nuttall Street. Migrated to the lower tier near the BBE, then the old Riverside, then the new.

Spent 93/94 In the BBE, didn't enjoy it as much.

Never realised that the BBE was only erected in 1960 and funded by the cup run. :)

The old Riverside gives me goosebumps.

I can remember my 1st few games, seated in the Nuttall Street. Migrated to the lower tier near the BBE, then the old Riverside, then the new.

Spent 93/94 In the BBE, didn't enjoy it as much.

The old Riverside looks impressive in the photos. I never stood on the terrace on the Riverside but sat upstairs a few times but too many restricted view seats up there.

I used to love standing on the Riverside. Used to move along at half time to be at the end we were attacking, we used to assemble around 1 of the crash barriers near the front. Used to be be plenty of characters in there in those days.

How about Shearer's home debut and goal against the Arse? the old Blackburn End went absolutely batty when it looped in.

The end of a 26 year top flight exile :brfc:

Tony Adams almost ended up stood with us on the Blackburn End to see that goal, such was the ferocity of Shearer's shoulder charge on him to set himself up!

When I first went I used to stand on the Riverside. Given the vagaries of the buses I used to have to get I used to arrive at the ground about 1.50. I'd be there more or less on my own. That was the longest hour of the week, waiting for the players to come out. I don't remember any warm ups then.

Ronnie Clayton would come sprinting out like his life depended on it with the ball tucked under his right arm. The players then would have a short spell of gentle passing and shooting. The wingers crossing balls, the strikers shooting in. The defenders just passed the ball around with a few high balls for heading practice.

I'd wait and see which end we attacked and then move to that end. As I got older and started playing seriously myself I'd move to be nearest to Keith Newton to pick up tips for full back play. You couldn't have had a better role model. He was flawless on either wing. Watching him made me work on two footed play. Not just passing or controlling the ball with either foot but being confident tackling with either foot. You see pro players today who can't actually do that.

Regarding the City cup time - The ground was rocking but from my place on the Blackburn End I could still spaces at the far end of the Riverside nearest the Darwen End that always appeared to be un- inhabited on old photographs

Archived