BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ewood

AlanK

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember my grandad telling me about a Rovers v Burnley cup tie at Ewood.

My grandad supported Burnley (my dad supported the Rovers, thank goodness) he said Burnley went 3 nil up and cruising, but Rovers levelled it with 3 late goals.

He told the story of a rovers fan lifting my gran in the air when we equalised! :)

Different days. Would love to see footage of that game.

The game in question was at Turf Moor I think, but happy to be corrected. Think it was the 1960 cup run and we won the replay at Ewood.

The game in question was at Turf Moor I think, but happy to be corrected. Think it was the 1960 cup run and we won the replay at Ewood.

I was there. The best game of football I have ever seen.

Some comeback was that!

Or Richard Witschige ?

Not if you missed that game no.

Wilcox - 1989-1999. 271 appearances 31 goals. 5 top ten finishes. Premier League Champions medal.

Witschge - 1995. 1 appearance, no goals, no medal and a crap haircut.

I was there. The best game of football I have ever seen.

Some comeback was that!

My dad always goes on about that game as he left with about 20 mins to go, disgusted with the result. As he was leaving he heard a large roar and assumed that the 4th had gone in. He arrived home to find out we'd drawn 3-3, gutted that he'd missed all the good stuff. From that day on, he's never left a football match before the final whistle, regardless of the score!

According to Wiki it was 12th March 1960 in front of 51,501. Douglas, Dobing & McGrath with our golas. We won the replay 2-0 with Dobing & MacLeod on the scoresheet.

Wilcox - 1989-1999. 271 appearances 31 goals. 5 top ten finishes. Premier League Champions medal.

I still contend that we would have won the league at a canter if Wilcox hadn't done his knee. The team was unbalanced after that. I think LeSaux and Jeff Kenna took it in turns to play left wing after his injury. I may be wrong though.

I remember a season ticket in the Enclosure costing less than a fiver a game. Probably around 1990/91.

My dad always goes on about that game as he left with about 20 mins to go, disgusted with the result. As he was leaving he heard a large roar and assumed that the 4th had gone in. He arrived home to find out we'd drawn 3-3, gutted that he'd missed all the good stuff. From that day on, he's never left a football match before the final whistle, regardless of the score!

According to Wiki it was 12th March 1960 in front of 51,501. Douglas, Dobing & McGrath with our golas. We won the replay 2-0 with Dobing & MacLeod on the scoresheet.

Apparently we got back into the game at 3-0 courtesy of a very generous penalty. Ball to hand, but the sort that gets given every week these days.

Talking about missing goals I remember going to Old Trafford in the early sixties to watch the McEvoy, Pickering, Douglas Rovers team.

I got the coach from Rochdale with a pal who was a City fan and 48 Red Rats. We were late parking up and a few minutes late getting on. When I was about 2 minutes from going through the turnstile I heard a muted roar. Just as I got through the turnstile I heard a tremendous roar. I though " @#/? , they'll have scored ".

When I got to the top of the terrace I asked a bloke " What's the score mate ? " He said 1-1 ". Bloody hell !

The game went on, we weren't really in the match and eventually they scored again to make it 2-1. We huffed and puffed a bit but never really looked like getting back into the game. About 5 minutes from time I suggested to my mate we left and tried to find our coach.

We found it easily enough and sat there quietly. Five minutes later the Red Rats begin arriving. One said to his pal " The jammy bleeders, they were never in it ! " My ears perked up at this and I said " How did it end up ? "

He said " 2-2 " !

So I saw one United goal and even that was right down the far end from me.

Let's just say I wasn't his greatest fan.

For the life of me I can't remember his surname - but he was called Jack. He also painted all the signs dotted round the edge of the pitch. He was extremely good. I remember he once said, probably about 1989, "that Wilcox won't be any good so long as he has a hole in his arse" - with much certainty as well.

I can picture him now Bob, white coat like a doctor, glasses, moustache. Every summer he was there in the 80s . He used to put up with some cheek off the local wags .

It was David Hamilton/Colin Randall era....and of course Big JimF . ......

I can picture him now Bob, white coat like a doctor, glasses, moustache.

That was him. I want to say Jack Holden but he was the Radio Lancs commentator of course - unless they had the same surname? It was only 26 years or so ago. I've a memory like one of those kitchen utensil thingy's.

Handbag, like Super Atko, was a rare breed. A survivor from the dark days who had the will to become the best he could. Arguably our best left winger of the last 40 years

Easy tiger ! That just has to be Duffer and Scotty Sellars wasn't half bad but yeah you're right you can't knock Wilcox (plenty did). His game was based mainly on graft but he could whip those type of crosses in that always get between the centre halves, a skill in itself.

Once Duff was established in the team it would have been no contest between him and Wilcox on the left wing.

Agreed. Duff was one of the best players at the World Cup one year. Top class.

Doesn't mean Wilcox was rubbish just because Duff was better. Another top player for the Rovers strangely unappreciated by many fans. Good job Kenny knew his stuff as Atkins and Wilcox contributed fully at that time and saved us a fortune.

Agreed. Duff was one of the best players at the World Cup one year. Top class.

Doesn't mean Wilcox was rubbish just because Duff was better. Another top player for the Rovers strangely unappreciated by many fans. Good job Kenny knew his stuff as Atkins and Wilcox contributed fully at that time and saved us a fortune.

He was strangely unappreciated by me for sure.

Handbag, like Super Atko, was a rare breed. A survivor from the dark days who had the will to become the best he could. Arguably our best left winger of the last 40 years

Spot on - the sort of player whom you never realised how good they were till they weren't playing

Going back a few years Parkes was another

I thought we really stumbled when Batty came in and replaced Atkins in the Championship season. I always liked both players, Batty was a really good winner and mid - range passer of the ball and Atkins was a consistent 7 out of 10 player.

Apparently we got back into the game at 3-0 courtesy of a very generous penalty. Ball to hand, but the sort that gets given every week these days

You only got half the story. It was a softish pen but we were not given a dead-cert one earlier on!

Jason is U-18 coach at Man City now.

Solid player, with a good cross. Brought through the youth system, big part in us getting promoted and winning the league, and sold on for a fortune, and without a fuss when Duffer came along.

Always says "us" when commentating on Rovers too, rather than "Blackburn" or "Rovers"

Archived