BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ewood

AlanK

Tony Adams almost ended up stood with us on the Blackburn End to see that goal, such was the ferocity of Shearer's shoulder charge on him to set himself up!

I'm sure it wasn't tony Adams and it was in front of the Nuttall Street Stand as well.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our record attendance of 62,000....Footage DOES exist of this match,I remember seeing clips of it a few years ago.Fans are sat along the full length of the old Darwen End Roof!

How about Ewood with 52,000 v Burnley...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=czZFnRuEUUw

Pathe,North West Film Archive,Michell and Kenyon...I'm all for old footage of the Rovers,would love the club to bring it all together in an official club History DVD.

Manchester City FA Cup 1969 - 42,000 on Ewood.

Never experienced anything like it, before or since.

It was downright dangerous too, crowd swaying back and forth. HSE would have a fit today.

I went to that one in the blackburn end I remember my dad made me a wooden box to stand on so i would be able to see, think i still have the box in the attic full of lego.Remember the early sixties sitting on benches in front of the walls on the edge of the pitch and the man coming out at half time putting the half time scores in the A,B.C boxes on the wall.

Our record attendance of 62,000....Footage DOES exist of this match,I remember seeing clips of it a few years ago.Fans are sat along the full length of the old Darwen End Roof!

How about Ewood with 52,000 v Burnley...

Pathe,North West Film Archive,Michell and Kenyon...I'm all for old footage of the Rovers,would love the club to bring it all together in an official club History DVD.

Brilliant idea. That footage is tremendous.

Someone should suggest this to the Commercial Dept.

I think this was the match:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qzd6wXU4Qw

A classic cup tie with a fantastic atmosphere. I recall a large mob of Geordies being in the Blackburn End, they ended up being cornered up against the Riverside wall by a line of bobbies (you can see them in front of the corner cafe), although I don't think they caused much trouble. I remember watching from the back of the terrace as Wegerle danced around Newcastle's defenders before he slotted it home ; I can see it now, it all seemed to happen in slow motion.

I went to that one in the blackburn end I remember my dad made me a wooden box to stand on so i would be able to see, think i still have the box in the attic full of lego.Remember the early sixties sitting on benches in front of the walls on the edge of the pitch and the man coming out at half time putting the half time scores in the A,B.C boxes on the wall.

Yes to all that! I was in the Riverside for the game and it was very full. Lots of swaying and sudden crowd rushes. Hard to keep your feet.

City fans, delayed by traffic jams,were stopped in Darwen and told by police to park there and then with only minutes to kick-off!

"Just five minutes walk" was the police advice! Miss all that drama from the big games.

A classic cup tie with a fantastic atmosphere. I recall a large mob of Geordies being in the Blackburn End, they ended up being cornered up against the Riverside wall by a line of bobbies (you can see them in front of the corner cafe), although I don't think they caused much trouble. I remember watching from the back of the terrace as Wegerle danced around Newcastle's defenders before he slotted it home ; I can see it now, it all seemed to happen in slow motion.

My mate used to be in the Lancs branch of an unofficial NUFC fan club and they were on the BBE end that day so it might have been them lol. Not trouble makers though mostly exiled Geordies and the like. He was absolutely gutted after that game and that's saying something as I saw him gutted plenty times after games Ewood following that lot :lol:

Geordies went on rampage after that and trouble flared well into the night. Not many better things to celebrate at a match than a last min winner.

A whole bunch of goals by Ewood Legends, Speedie, Atkins, Sellars, Newell etc etc. Moran shows how a CB should head at the oppos goal!

To be fair there are some very good shots of Ewood Park in the vid ^_^

2 words. David Speedie.

Yeah, what a great attitude he had. They should show this to the current group of tired @#/?s that play for us.

I was thinking that as I was watching. That man had a winning mentality and knew where the goal was. Damn he's just what we are needing!

Can't think of a player that made such an impact and connected with the supporters in such a short space of time.

Rovers vs Birmingham City, 1935 apparently. (Courtesy of @TerraceImages Great Twitter account if you are on Twitter and like me love pictures of football in days gone by.)

Looks like the crowd are sat in front of the pitch-side wall around the Riverside and Blackburn End. Was that a normal thing in those days?

Also, looking at where those players are standing, can anyone tell me which way the teams are kicking? Looks to me like the players are all over the place.

https://twitter.com/TerraceImages/status/684115167085473798

Rovers vs Birmingham City, 1935 apparently. (Courtesy of @TerraceImages Great Twitter account if you are on Twitter and like me love pictures of football in days gone by.)

Looks like the crowd are sat in front of the pitch-side wall around the Riverside and Blackburn End. Was that a normal thing in those days?

Also, looking at where those players are standing, can anyone tell me which way the teams are kicking? Looks to me like the players are all over the place.

Rovers in blue and white kicking to the left, Birmingham kicking to the right.

Long ball from the Birmingham right back, Rovers defender looking to head clear and Birmingham forward thinks its going over the defenders head?

Rovers in blue and white kicking to the left, Birmingham kicking to the right.

Long ball from the Birmingham right back, Rovers defender looking to head clear and Birmingham forward thinks its going over the defenders head?

Thanks. I get it. There were no offsides in those days, I think? That's why the Birmingham attacker is on his own in what must be the Rovers half. I thought he was a defender but that didn't make complete sense.

The liner is the giveaway as well. As our lad said, what's he doing there? He's nowhere near in line with the defenders.

Must've been a different game in those days. Hanging around the goal line waiting for the ball to come to you.

Thanks. I get it. There were no offsides in those days, I think? That's why the Birmingham attacker is on his own in what must be the Rovers half. I thought he was a defender but that didn't make complete sense.

The liner is the giveaway as well. As our lad said, what's he doing there? He's nowhere near in line with the defenders.

Must've been a different game in those days. Hanging around the goal line waiting for the ball to come to you.

Sounds perfect for Jordan!

Den and 47er are in the enclosure, both got flat caps on.

Thanks. I get it. There were no offsides in those days, I think?

"The offside rule originated in 1863. A player was considered offside unless three players of the opposing side are in front of him (includes goalkeeper)."

"The offside rule was changed in 1925. A player was considered offside unless two players of the opposing team are in front of him (includes goalkeeper)."

"The offside rule was changed again in 1990. A player is onside if he is level with the second-to-last player of the opposing team (includes goalkeeper)."

"2000-onwards. Since the turn of the century nobody has a bloody clue what the offside rule is anymore."

When I first went I used to stand on the Riverside. Given the vagaries of the buses I used to have to get I used to arrive at the ground about 1.50. I'd be there more or less on my own. That was the longest hour of the week, waiting for the players to come out. I don't remember any warm ups then.

Ronnie Clayton would come sprinting out like his life depended on it with the ball tucked under his right arm. The players then would have a short spell of gentle passing and shooting. The wingers crossing balls, the strikers shooting in. The defenders just passed the ball around with a few high balls for heading practice.

I'd wait and see which end we attacked and then move to that end. As I got older and started playing seriously myself I'd move to be nearest to Keith Newton to pick up tips for full back play. You couldn't have had a better role model. He was flawless on either wing. Watching him made me work on two footed play. Not just passing or controlling the ball with either foot but being confident tackling with either foot. You see pro players today who can't actually do that.

Regarding the City cup time - The ground was rocking but from my place on the Blackburn End I could still spaces at the far end of the Riverside nearest the Darwen End that always appeared to be un- inhabited on old photographs

Really enjoyed that post Tyrone.

Archived