BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Sick Malaise Over Ewood Park

As LD and OOJW etc have said, it's nothing new. Jimmy Quinn got loads of abuse in the mid to late 80s, worse than Brown is now. And Quinn was a half-decent centre forward, scored a fair few, and was an NI international (OK, NI aren't world beaters, but even so.........). It's just the way society is these days - instant gratification, Twitter, forums like this : folk are quicker to express what's on their mind, do so in a more personal way, and think they have a right to do it. It's only us old-timers with rose tinted glasses who'd do things differently (that's no defence for the 'idiots' by the way, it's just the way things are).

Some of Kean's signings tested my patience. I hated Goodwillie the minute I saw him play. Bradley Orr. Another low life. Anyone Portugese.

I still didn't boo. Nothing lasts forever and patience was key but sadly here we are now with another bunch of low quality plodders.

Forgot about Nicky Reid. Never the best but certainly tried.

Back in the day even Brotherstone and Sellars used to get pelters at times. Everyone's an expert.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for me the big difference is that the abuse continues via social media ,the likes of Jimmy Quinn etc would of got the aggro at games but by and large that would be it , it wouldnt follow him home and into life 24/7 like social media does now... i dont do twitter now , if i was in the public gaze i most definately wouldn't do it

It's human nature when people are frustrated. When the minimum requisite is being able to pass a ball straight it's not surprising when people vent their frustration towards the ones who can't. You can't blame the fans for the mood as it has been generated by the dossers on (and off) the pitch over the last 5 years

People posting about what the atmosphere is like or what causes it who don't go winds me up.

People who do go and give abuse winds me up

Rovers being sh1te winds me up

I'm pretty wound up at present

The Nicky Reid abuse was probably due to replacing Barker. But that wasn't his fault and he didn't cost £400000.

If players try their best that's all we can ask. If not drum them out. Problem is it costs money to get rid of 5hit nowadays.

A difficult and emotive subject.

I've seen and heard boo boys for 50+ years in following Rovers irrespective of whether we've been successful or otherwise.

My take on it is pretty simple. For professional footballers, it comes with the territory - if you can't stand the heat...............

Footballers at Rovers, whether 50 years ago or at present, have always been paid significantly more than the average Rovers' fan with the 'average fan' making up the vast majority of the Rovers' following. I agree, it's far better for the team if the fans get behind the team, however, it's each fan's right to express either his pleasure or displeasure.

As a minimum, I personally expect every Rovers' player to show the utmost professionalism and give every ounce of commitment to the cause irrespective of ability. Does this happen, I don't think so. It is therefore not difficult to understand fans getting riled when they see guys out there on the pitch, earning more in one or two weeks than they do in a year, who they perceive as not being fully committed to the cause.

It has to start with the players out on the pitch. The fans are not fools. Sadly, IMV, we have too many who are unprofessional, shirkers and not committed to the cause. Playing to the maximum of your ability and falling short is forgivable, anything else isn't.

A difficult and emotive subject.

I've seen and heard boo boys for 50+ years in following Rovers irrespective of whether we've been successful or otherwise.

My take on it is pretty simple. For professional footballers, it comes with the territory - if you can't stand the heat...............

Footballers at Rovers, whether 50 years ago or at present, have always been paid significantly more than the average Rovers' fan with the 'average fan' making up the vast majority of the Rovers' following. I agree, it's far better for the team if the fans get behind the team, however, it's each fan's right to express either his pleasure or displeasure.

As a minimum, I personally expect every Rovers' player to show the utmost professionalism and give every ounce of commitment to the cause irrespective of ability. Does this happen, I don't think so. It is therefore not difficult to understand fans getting riled when they see guys out there on the pitch, earning more in one or two weeks than they do in a year, who they perceive as not being fully committed to the cause.

It has to start with the players out on the pitch. The fans are not fools. Sadly, IMV, we have too many who are unprofessional, shirkers and not committed to the cause. Playing to the maximum of your ability and falling short is forgivable, anything else isn't.

Just to interject, but that doesn't justify the ironic cheering and general disdain aimed at Chris Brown. He's not a shirker. A big lump who can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, maybe (an odd saying, as I'm not sure why anyone would want to hit a cow's backside with any instrument, let alone a banjo), but his effort can't be faulted.

Just to interject, but that doesn't justify the ironic cheering and general disdain aimed at Chris Brown. He's not a shirker. A big lump who can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, maybe (an odd saying, as I'm not sure why anyone would want to hit a cow's backside with any instrument, let alone a banjo), but his effort can't be faulted.

Not been to Royston Vassey then

:D

I just wish we were more united and developed a different style of support ,like St Pauli,Hamburg and become a 'cult' Club rather than the bit of @#/? on the sole of the shoe(in the eyes of the News gatherers).

We really have to make something ironic out of our current situation BUT that needs intelligent,alternative supporters......bring back Thenodrog and Glen M style thinking!

its been a bad week with QPR match between David Bowie and Alan Rickman both dying.

Great post mhead. It would be great if we could have an ultras section like Derby, Accrington, or more recently at Huddersfield.

There is a lad who works for me who lives in Derby who is a big St Pauli fan and goes over 10 times per year.

There was an attempt by some on this MB, and others, to start the singing section with banners in the DE; they looked looked great and sounded great.

It would be good if the Club (Alan Myers sounds like he is well on the ball these days) could approach the fans, or vice versa, and see if we could set up the singing section in the BBE and get the atmosphere back. Like others I agree that the fare on display from Roverrs is dire but this is the time more than ever to show we care.

I love the idea of a cult club.

People like Lambert and Bennett must sometimes wonder why they bothered coming to Ewood.

I was disgusted at the the "welcome" given to Brown when he came on and every time he had the ball, along with the sick tweets to some of the Rovers players.

Brown may not be terribly good but he was putting in more of a shift than Rhodes and was more of a threat.

This will get to all the players....not just Brown and Duffy.

I have strong views about the lack of ability of many of our players and hell I want the best; but get real- will public slagging off of players achieve anything apart from worse results?

Please think before you act.

Forgive me if I am wrong Preston Blue but aren't you the chap who regaled us with the tale of how you gave Hanley a mouthful in a supermarket?

Haven't read any of the tweets but to be honest I felt like the ironic cheering actually lightened the mood a bit and was fairly good natured.

Forgive me if I am wrong Preston Blue but aren't you the chap who regaled us with the tale of how you gave Hanley a mouthful in a supermarket?

Yes that was me. It was Henley and he had just parked his car in the disabled section, I would have said the same to anyone.

And your point is please?

Diet and discipline should be part of an athlete's regime/routine.

It may well be that the reason Chris Brown is 'a big lump', in the eyes of some, is entirely down to Brown himself. If it is then I think it is unprofessional and despite the fact that you say his effort can't be faulted, it is preventing him performing at an optimum level.

Yes that was me. It was Henley and he had just parked his car in the disabled section, I would have said the same to anyone.

Maybe he has brittle confidence disease. Most footballers have under developed brains. Bradley Orr didn't even have one.

Post I'm thinking of was not Henley (you're definitely in the right on that one)- it was definitely Hanley. The poster was saying how they had seen Hanley in the supermarket and put him straight about his performances etc.

Apologies if that wasn't you Preston Blue - I've no idea how to find specific posts. I remember it because the poster got a bit of stick for it at the time.

If it was you, then obviously you would see the irony of your OP. That was the point.

• Backroom

We really have to make something ironic out of our current situation BUT that needs intelligent,alternative supporters......bring back Thenodrog and Glen M style thinking!

Not to speak ill of the banned, but doesn't Gordon advocate dismantling our club and creating a frankenstein's monster by piecing us together with the other also-rans in Lancashire? Not sure that's what we need right now.

It's simple really. If we start picking up results the grumbling will mostly stop. You'll always get one or two eternal moaners, but that's the same wherever you go. As long as we're on a bad run, struggling to score goals and getting beaten by the likes of Bolton obviously people are going to get frustrated. If the players stop sulking about Bowyer's departure and stop losing to teams at the bottom of the table they'll find most of the anger in the stands will subside.

Not to speak ill of the banned, but doesn't Gordon advocate dismantling our club and creating a frankenstein's monster by piecing us together with the other also-rans in Lancashire? Not sure that's what we need right now.

It's simple really. If we start picking up results the grumbling will mostly stop. You'll always get one or two eternal moaners, but that's the same wherever you go. As long as we're on a bad run, struggling to score goals and getting beaten by the likes of Bolton obviously people are going to get frustrated. If the players stop sulking about Bowyer's departure and stop losing to teams at the bottom of the table they'll find most of the anger in the stands will subside.

I think they are sulking about the departure of their jollies

Post I'm thinking of was not Henley (you're definitely in the right on that one)- it was definitely Hanley. The poster was saying how they had seen Hanley in the supermarket and put him straight about his performances etc.

Apologies if that wasn't you Preston Blue - I've no idea how to find specific posts. I remember it because the poster got a bit of stick for it at the time.

If it was you, then obviously you would see the irony of your OP. That was the point.

Fair enough Windy, I get your point. I did see Hanley in the Ley Inn and we did have words.

I guess all of this comes down to our love of Rovers, mine goes back many years and I guess you are similar. We say things we sometimes regret because we care.....the problem at Ewood at present is the regular public ridicule and abuse of players which must get to the wider team. I am not completely innocent with my criticism of players but it is not abuse, booing or slagging them off in public.

• Backroom

Fair enough Windy, I get your point. I did see Hanley in the Ley Inn and we did have words.

I guess all of this comes down to our love of Rovers, mine goes back many years and I guess you are similar. We say things we sometimes regret because we care.....the problem at Ewood at present is the regular public ridicule and abuse of players which must get to the wider team. I am not completely innocent with my criticism of players but it is not abuse, booing or slagging them off in public.

It's not just Ewood though chief, it's endemic throughout football. United fans have regularly jeered Fellaini coming on, Arsenal fans have jeered Giroud many times, Chelsea fans hurled dogs abuse and Costa, Fabregas and Oscar recently. There's a video on here somewhere of a few Villa fans abusing the players getting onto the bus after their draw with Wycombe. When things are going badly, a section of the fans at every club will get on the backs of the players. It's not helpful but it happens. If the players can't hack it then I'm afraid they are in the wrong profession. You'll never stop certain people venting their frustrations in an unhelpful way, the only real method of shutting them up is to get results and contribute to some form of success. Too many of our current lot have contributed to nothing but disappointment and failure over the last few years, which is why a clearout is desperately needed - for the club, the players and the fans. We need a fresh start.

The mood at Ewood is born of extreme disappointment(even disgust and horror) over what has happened to our Club over the past few years.

If people feel we are uniquely over the top in comparison to the rest of the country, its only fair to point out that no club has been done over quite in the way we have. We are unique!

Once some normality returns to the Club, if it ever does, then, like those above, I'd expect fans to settle down and enjoy the football.

That would be quite a change for most.

I completely agree about the vitriolic abuse. When we played the Claret********, there was some lads sat behind us in the BBE who we'd never seen before. One of them just hurled abuse at every player after about 5 mins. Eventually, he was told not so politely to pipe down. It was, quite frankly, embarrassing.

The rest gets blurred though. I'm pretty certain you protested against Kean, as did I. Was the stick he got wrong? Some people thought it was because of the negative effect on the players. In my opinion it was justified (certainly within a public arena/outside the ground). Would I have given him stick if I saw him in a restaurant etc? No because in my view, that is his personal/family time and isn't appropriate.

It only happens though, like you say, because we care. The last 5 years have felt like being repeatedly poked with a long Pune shaped stick. Everyone has a tipping point and will react at some stage if that keeps happening.

We grew up on the terraces being treated to witty one liners, amusing assumptions about referees' parentage, the visual impairment of linesmen and of course, banter with the opposition team/fans. Humour, wit and irony are disappearing from our game in general.

WIth reference to Brown and the ironic cheering/ p taking. It's what blokes do. You go out with your mates and mercilessly rip each other to bits for little or no reason. Nobody falls out or takes it personally.

The Chris Brown thing has become a joke. The guy will probably walk away from Rovers around £6-800k richer for his little 2 year cameo. If he has any common sense, he will realise that his contribution towards that salary has been minimal. Imagine being the HR boss of a company doing a yearly appraisal on a guy who has been at your firm for two years, had significant time off for illness and hasn't met any of his targets.

If I were him, I would be prepared to accept a bit of stick on the football pitch. I hope he does actually score and I hope he makes an effort to celebrate in a humorous way. He will gain a lot of respect and as others have said, will probably become a bit of a cult hero. Kuqi style.

I think the point I am trying to make is that a bit of gallows humour and p taking at the matches shouldn't be frowned upon because it's much better than people constantly calling players a useless ******* ****.

At the end of the day, if the team is winning regularly and doing well in the league, the whole atmosphere becomes better over night.

It would be good if the Club (Alan Myers sounds like he is well on the ball these days) could approach the fans, or vice versa, and see if we could set up the singing section in the BBE and get the atmosphere back.

Fat chance there I fear. Back when the Darwen End was in full swing it was roundly criticised/mocked by a good proportion of Blackburn Enders. And look at this thread, slowly migrating from criticising the atmosphere to criticising the team. There seems to be little appetite among fans to turn the spotlight on themselves. Apparently Chris Brown is a **** player but there's no such thing as a **** fan.

Fat chance there I fear. Back when the Darwen End was in full swing it was roundly criticised/mocked by a good proportion of Blackburn Enders. And look at this thread, slowly migrating from criticising the atmosphere to criticising the team. There seems to be little appetite among fans to turn the spotlight on themselves. Apparently Chris Brown is a **** player but there's no such thing as a **** fan.

I think you know it's not a case of either or?

I think there is a sick malaise hanging over Ewood Park. It started just over 5 years ago and I think it will continue while the Vs are in charge. Rovers are a classic case of a club which is set up to fail and the longer this continues the deeper the malaise will get. Doomed I tell thi.

The best two slices of 'terrace humour' I ever experienced were both on the old kop terrace at Anfield.

The first one was in a grudge game, Liverpool v Don Revie's Leeds. Gary Sprake, the Leeds goalkeeper, pulled his arm back to throw a ball to Paul Reaney, his full back, but inadvertently let go of the ball too early and literally threw the ball into his own goal. Within a few seconds, what seemed like the whole of the kop started singing Max Bygraves' 'Careless Hands'.

The second one was a bit more pre-planned. In the match programme, Bill Shankly had written a piece about how he frowned on the bad language he often heard at games. This was accompanied by signs all round the ground that day that said 'Please refrain from swearing'.

About 5 minutes into the game, the kop sang "Who's your father, who's your father who's your father referee? You're a bad one, never had one, you're a beastie referee"......

As for the Rovers, I think its been covered in earlier posts, but the smaller crowds, unrealistic expectations after years of good times, general impatience/intolerance prevalent in the 21st century, lots of blokes playing too many computer football games and thinking it is real life, and the crap we've had to endure since Venkys bought the club has created a toxic, perfect storm for what we are currently witnessing, sadly.

Archived