BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Hull

den

I'd just like anyone to answer this question, not just den. If we hadn't had Rhodes' goals in Bowyer's first season in charge (as caretaker), we would have been relegated.

Now it's a case of relying on Watt, Graham and Gomez. We are going to need an awful lot of clean sheets between now and the end of the season to nick these 1-0s.

Stuart, don't think I'm not concerned, because I am. It IS difficult after yesterday to see where the goals are coming from. Let me ask you to rephrase the basic question though. Instead of asking where the goals are coming from - a question none of us can answer because we aren't psychic - ask where the wins are going to come from. Then look at the two games post Rhodes. At Boro, we apparently played really well. Playing well saw Gomez score and a credible draw. Then look at the Hull game. An awful display saw us well beaten. They scored twice and could have had at least two more. Even Shearer wouldn't have won us that game unless he could play back four and midfield as well as up top.

Both those games were without Rhodes, so he wasn't the difference in either game, but does it not illustrate that the key thing in football is to perform well as a team? Play well as a team for the full 90 mins and you'll score goals and pick up points, just as the vast majority of teams above us in this league do - without Rhodes.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stuart, don't think I'm not concerned, because I am. It IS difficult after yesterday to see where the goals are coming from. Let me ask you to rephrase the basic question though. Instead of asking where the goals are coming from - a question none of us can answer because we aren't psychic - ask where the wins are going to come from. Then look at the two games post Rhodes. At Boro, we apparently played really well. Playing well saw Gomez score and a credible draw. Then look at the Hull game. An awful display saw us well beaten. They scored twice and could have had at least two more. Even Shearer wouldn't have won us that game unless he could play back four and midfield as well as up top.

Both those games were without Rhodes, so he wasn't the difference in either game, but does it not illustrate that the key thing in football is to perform well as a team? Play well as a team for the full 90 mins and you'll score goals and pick up points, just as the vast majority of teams above us in this league do - without Rhodes.

Unfortunately you can't separate goals from wins.

I'll have to take the word of those that saw the Boro match that we played well because I only saw the Hull match and we were awful.

What worries though me is that those who said we were good against Boro are the same people excusing how bad we were yesterday and saying that Hull were a PL team. Not sure they were all that, and we could have got a draw but for mistakes. However, I can't say that we could have got a win because we didn't look like scoring all game.

Adam Virgo said on Channel 5 last night that it was off side

I don't have the greatest view but it looked as though Marshall at right back played them on.

Spurr not fit to wear the shirt. I'd terminate his contract tomorrow if we had adequate cover. I'd much rather see Henley playing at LB than have to see that lummox again. He gets worse by the game.

And the Darwen End actually were singing his name for goodness sake.

This game proves nothing re Rhodes. What is does prove is how hard it is going to be to get out of this league, because the gulf was huge between the two sides.

Hull really should be going up this year, their squad is stacked with millions of pounds of players. Most of them players cost more than 4million each. They even had players that cost millions on the bench and some not even making the bench.

Bruce was really lucky to keep his job when they got relegated, because he spent a lot of cash and was well backed.

Heck they even signed a right back this year that cost more than our entire team

Hull are where we are seeking to be. A side that works hard, covers for each other and breaks extremely quickly. That will win more than it loses over aseason.

The second goal did look distinctly offside but both goals showed how much we miss Hanley. Duffy is clearly not an organiser and to ask Ward to do that after just 2 games is asking too much.Goal 1 was just a mistake that can happen but as stated above, if you break quickly then when a mistake occurs, you are in pole position to take advantage. Confidence is key.

What a happened to Rovers two centre half's for Hulls second goal looked like they both gone awol.

On tv it looked well offside. Commentators opinion also as Duffy moved up.

Adam Virgo said on Channel 5 last night that it was off side

I don't have the greatest view but it looked as though Marshall at right back played them on.

On TV Abel H was definitely off side; not the goalscorer. However The TV didn't show where Marshall was so I'll take your word for it, Stuart.

Steve Bruce was delighted in that his side played their best football for a long, long time. I concur. They were superb.

Time for Rovers to put this one behind them and move on to beat a much improved Fulham. I hope Hope, Grant and Dan are fit for it.

Archived