BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Hull

den

To be fair there's not much to tempt the occasional fan down to Ewood at the moment. Rhodes was individually the last player worth watching Imo.

Gomez may or may not become a bit of a crowd pleaser but is only on loan and it is difficult to build up the same level of attachment to someone who isn't your player Imo.

In fairness, Rhodes had only scored two goals under Lambert and both were away from home. He hadn't looked interested for some time and I suspect he realised that he wasn't suited for the way Lambert wanted to set the team up. From what I have seen so far it would appear to me that Lambert is more interested in the squad as a whole rather than having one or two so called 'star' players. It's the same philosophy that Gordon Lee had when he got rid of crowd favourites Field and Garbett to fund his rebuilding programme. Only next season will tell if Lambert has the same golden touch as Lee.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fairness, Rhodes had only scored two goals under Lambert and both were away from home. He hadn't looked interested for some time and I suspect he realised that he wasn't suited for the way Lambert wanted to set the team up. From what I have seen so far it would appear to me that Lambert is more interested in the squad as a whole rather than having one or two so called 'star' players. It's the same philosophy that Gordon Lee had when he got rid of crowd favourites Field and Garbett to fund his rebuilding programme. Only next season will tell if Lambert has the same golden touch as Lee.

Is Gordon Lee still alive? I saw him in a newsagents in Ansdell Lytham about 20 years ago.

Hull produced by far the best performance against us this season. Closed us down quickly and stopped us playing whilst ripping us a new one when attacking.

Streets ahead of us.

Bring on Fulham.

Who after their showing today and ours must be favourites to destroy us...

I really don't know the answer but I for one was overjoyed at Lambert etc taking over but now feel it was the wrong appointment he's brought in worse players than he's let go and to be brutally honest some are the worst I've ever seen wear a Rovers shirt... Bennett etc

Clearly you didnt.

I was in my normal seat in BBE

Fool I Was there in the JW upper as per usual...

I would love to play football against you

My lad is yet to see us win a game and he's been to Ewood five times now :(

Hull were light years ahead of us in everything, passing, pressing, movement, tactics, tempo, fitness...

I back Lambo but I think he got it wrong today. After 45 mins you could see a Hull goal was coming and formation/tactic needed changing at half time. Our full backs were being targeted, especially Spurr who struggled defensively with Conway. They also let Duffy have the ball and pressed everyone else. Hull's attacking players tore us apart!

I also struggle with the idea that Marshall is better playing at right back. He's a talented footballer going forward but he can't defend. Surely he's more influential higher up the pitch?

Lambert is looking like he hasn't a clue Jackson FFS

Next season in League one

To be fair there's not much to tempt the occasional fan down to Ewood at the moment. Rhodes was individually the last player worth watching Imo.

Gomez may or may not become a bit of a crowd pleaser but is only on loan and it is difficult to build up the same level of attachment to someone who isn't your player Imo.

Come on, you are having a larf. Rhodes never excited me, never got me on the edge of my seat - IMV, a 'flat track' bully who failed to deliver when it really mattered. I think his contribution over recent times can be summarised on the back of a postage stamp.

Your ability to rationalise seems to fly out of the window where Rhodes is concerned, just like it did with John Williams.

Another thing....

At 1-0, and then 2-0 nil down, we never once raised the tempo. Never once looked anxious to pull a goal back. When have any of us seen that before?

I thought we might win today prior to kick off. I was nervous during the first half because I could see us trying to do things a bit differently. We had a system and it was working. I so badly want Lambert to be a success, for Watt to be a young David Dunn and for Gomez to be a slightly older Tugay.

We crave success because we are starved of quality and we remember how it felt to be confident of beating the best teams in the country.

We gave up today somewhere around the hour mark, and suddenly my nerves had gone and I didn't care anymore either.

Come on, you are having a larf. Rhodes never excited me, never got me on the edge of my seat - IMV, a 'flat track' bully who failed to deliver when it really mattered. I think his contribution over recent times can be summarised on the back of a postage stamp.

Your ability to rationalise seems to fly out of the window where Rhodes is concerned, just like it did with John Williams.

Whilst he was on the pitch no matter how anonymous or poor he was he ALWAYS had a potential goal In him though. People like to see goals no matter how they come so to a lot of people we are now a poorer team despite a few signings, most who aren't even ours. Some fans also form emotional attachments to players like Rhodes and he was the last remaing true hero to youngsters.

Another thing....

At 1-0, and then 2-0 nil down, we never once raised the tempo. Never once looked anxious to pull a goal back. When have any of us seen that before?

I thought we might win today prior to kick off. I was nervous during the first half because I could see us trying to do things a bit differently. We had a system and it was working. I so badly want Lambert to be a success, for Watt to be a young David Dunn and for Gomez to be a slightly older Tugay.

We crave success because we are starved of quality and we remember how it felt to be confident of beating the best teams in the country.

We gave up today somewhere around the hour mark, and suddenly my nerves had gone and I didn't care anymore either.

Yep. Summed up perfectly.

I think many of us felt exactly the same.

Come on, you are having a larf. Rhodes never excited me, never got me on the edge of my seat - IMV, a 'flat track' bully who failed to deliver when it really mattered. I think his contribution over recent times can be summarised on the back of a postage stamp.Your ability to rationalise seems to fly out of the window where Rhodes is concerned, just like it did with John Williams.

Everyone has their own differing opinion on players, if you didn't enjoy watching Rhodes play that's up to you. Off the top of my head since the V's arrived I've only enjoyed watching Hoillet, Yakubu, Rochina, Cairney, Gesture and Rhodes individually. Who I like or don't like isn't really the point though, I still say that to attract the slightly more casual fan you have to have either a winning team or one or two standout players or preferably a combination of both.

At the moment we have neither.

Is Gordon Lee still alive? I saw him in a newsagents in Ansdell Lytham about 20 years ago.

He was at the recent 20 year celebration of the 95 title win and the 75 side wasn't he?

Indeed it will Parson, indeed it will. I can say with confidence that no -one thought when Lambert took over there was a genuine risk he'd be trying to work his "magic" in League 1 though.

Don't think there was any luck for PL today.. Hanley has become our kingpin in defense, Akpan is our water carrier and Graham is the man to hold up the ball and create fuss for the more creative types.. without them we are utterly lost as most teams are when the backbone of the team is gone.

Sadly people keep harking on about Rhodes who probably has cost us any upsurge under PL with his 'delayed' transfer. Players like McGeady, Fox and maybe even Jones would have made a huge difference today even without Graham, Akpan and Hanley.. that is without considering what other signings PL had in mind, at the end of the day at 8pm on transfer deadline day there is nothing you can do to change things, especially when primary targets had already gone.

Seems like we were very poor today - spoken with a number who went. However, a sense of perspective needed. To unexpectedly lose Hanley, Graham and Akpan was a body blow. We were also playing top of the league

Think there's too much unnecessary doom and gloom.

We will not go down. We are 7, 6 and 5 points clear of the bottom 3 with a vastly superior goal difference. Next 2 matches are at home to Fulham and MKD's and I expect a 6 point return which will put the situation in a completely different light.

There it is then, you heard it here first. Rovers are relegated.

Whilst he was on the pitch no matter how anonymous or poor he was he ALWAYS had a potential goal In him though. People like to see goals no matter how they come so to a lot of people we are now a poorer team despite a few signings, most who aren't even ours. Some fans also form emotional attachments to players like Rhodes and he was the last remaing true hero to youngsters.

Exactly as I see it. Even playing poorly there was still a feeling of 'get it to Rhodes' or that he would pop up in the right area.

To counter MM's post, we have created fewer and fewer chances for Rhodes, who still managed 11 league goals, but when they fall to Akpan, Duffy and Brown they do not have the necessary composure or accuracy. Now that he is gone we are completely reliant on them to somehow come good.

Gomez is not expected to finish, though he is expected to provide - but to whom?

I thought Hull were the best Championship side I have seen this season and produced the perfect away performance. The two front players troubled us constantly and all over the pitch, particularly in the second half they were better than us. I'm surprised Conway hasn't come in for more criticism. I thought he was by far our worst player and the number of times he wandered infield when we were crying out for width was infuriating. Two bad mistakes ultimately cost us and as long as we keep making these errors we will continue to be punished.

In summary we weren't good but I think too many are under playing how good Hull were.

Gomez is not expected to finish, though he is expected to provide - but to whom?

I'd like to think that PL is putting serious consideration into his replacement hence not rushing in the last day of the window.

You make a point about properly buying someone - maybe Jonathan Kodjia, Zach Clough or someone who we know can score at this level will be within our price range.

It wasn't hard to see the gulf in quality yesterday. I don't think we had a player that'd get in that hull team on the pitch and with/without rhodes that is a problem.

How many more rock bottoms do we need. After the two away games I thought we would kick on at least. First half was not great but we matched them at least but had zero goal threat.

Second half I can accept they are top of the league and might get on top of the game but the way we seemed to just give up after going one down was shocking. Again second half no goal threat at all.

I've never see so many leave early, we never do but I felt like walking off at about 80 mins.

I think losing akpan Hanley and Graham was just too much for us and shows the lack of depth in the squad.

I'm still trusting in lambert however for all his good talking we need to see progress. I was firmly in the don't sell Rhodes camp but he had gone so no point discussing it however at this point I've no idea where the goals are coming from.

I thought Hull were the best Championship side I have seen this season and produced the perfect away performance. The two front players troubled us constantly and all over the pitch, particularly in the second half they were better than us. I'm surprised Conway hasn't come in for more criticism. I thought he was by far our worst player and the number of times he wandered infield when we were crying out for width was infuriating. Two bad mistakes ultimately cost us and as long as we keep making these errors we will continue to be punished.

In summary we weren't good but I think too many are under playing how good Hull were.

good post.

Conway was abysmal and I wouldn't be starting him for a while. since signing his new contract he has been very poor.

I thought we missed Graham as e didn't have a focus point in attack and someone who holds the ball up. Hull didn't allow us space in behind much and tbh Davies and Dawson(who are PL quality centre backs) out marked Watt, Jackson and Brown when he came on

Exactly as I see it. Even playing poorly there was still a feeling of 'get it to Rhodes' or that he would pop up in the right area.

To counter MM's post, we have created fewer and fewer chances for Rhodes, who still managed 11 league goals, but when they fall to Akpan, Duffy and Brown they do not have the necessary composure or accuracy. Now that he is gone we are completely reliant on them to somehow come good.

But Like I said for a while that Lambert's tactics didn't suit Rhodes and He wasn't a Lambert type player either. We have moved on since Rhodes.

Lambert has got Graham and Watt as his first choice striker pairing.

But Like I said for a while that Lambert's tactics didn't suit Rhodes and He wasn't a Lambert type player either. We have moved on since Rhodes.

Lambert has got Graham and Watt as his first choice striker pairing.

You are missing the point, chaddy. Which was: where are the goals coming from now that we have 'moved on'?

Was always going to be tough yesterday but with Fulham comfortably beating QPR I'm pretty worried for Tuesday night.

Hull have managed to retain their squad from last season give or take a couple of players, similarly to Norwich last season. With Bruce they also have one of the top 3 proven managers in this division over the last few years. With him in charge you can always expect your team to be up there whether you like him or not. A draw would've been a good result but the way we collapsed in the 2nd half is very disappointing.

Moving on to Tuesday, having 2 games in hand and a 5 point gap from relegation means nothing if the team don't look like winning. That gap and the games in hand will soon disappear.

You are missing the point, chaddy. Which was: where are the goals coming from now that we have 'moved on'?

we have Graham, Watt, Jackson, Gomez, Marshall(Who I would play further up if we sign a righty back or play Henley), Grimes.

BUT Rhodes wasn't exactly scoring goals under Lambert tho was he? 2 goals in his tenure.

Since Rhodes left we have scored 4 goals in 3 games.

so why not give it abit longer before we judge who the goals are going to come from.

Iike I said that I thought Watt was poor yesterday and we missed Graham as a focus point/target man aswell

we have Graham, Watt, Jackson, Gomez, Marshall(Who I would play further up if we sign a righty back or play Henley), Grimes.

BUT Rhodes wasn't exactly scoring goals under Lambert tho was he? 2 goals in his tenure.

Since Rhodes left we have scored 4 goals in 3 games.

so why not give it abit longer before we judge who the goals are going to come from.

Iike I said that I thought Watt was poor yesterday and we missed Graham as a focus point/target man aswell

3 of those 4 goals came in one game against League One opposition, when Rhodes was still a Rovers player. Since Rhodes left we scored 1 in a 'bounce' game with a point to prove, and didn't even look like shooting in the next.

Although it's early days, granted, we do not have the luxury of time for these players to gel (and find the target) as the foot of the table is rising rapidly to meet our winless streak. Teams below us are getting upsets, whereas we (and not Lambert - who agrees with me) are happy to make excuses. Some will already have written February off because of the tough fixture list. Cobblers! I expect teams st this end of the table to be up for the fight.

So spare me the lecture on 'wait and see' when you include a player who doesn't even have a shirt printed yet in your list of goal scoring threats.

I admire your optimism again Chaddy BUT. Grimes has barely played any minutes outside of League Two and has scored only a few free-kicks at Exeter. Marshall hasn't scored in open play for around a year, and Simeon Jackson is about as toothless in front of goal as Chris Brown. Gomez hasn't scored more than 7 in a league campaign since 2009 which leaves us with Graham and Watt. Watt's standout Championship season saw him score 5 goals, while Graham hasn't done it consistently in this league since 2011.

That may seem a little scathing but they're the stats. As I've posted in the transfer thread, for my money we need to bring in a goal scorer desperately. Where you find one in an emergency loan window though is the million dollar question. But let's not forget it was the managers decision to sell Rhodes.

Granted I only see about ten games a season at Ewood but I have to give credit to Hull and say they are the best side I've seen at Ewood in the last 3 years. They were everything we should be aspiring to, and I will be very surprised if they don't finish top two.

We really missed the spine of the team yesterday.

I will reserve judgement on us until after we've played Fulham and MK Dons at home, it would be harsh and premature in the least to start writing obituaries after playing a team as good as Hull were yesterday.

Archived