BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Hull

den

Just logged on and only read this last page. What a surprise to see the Rhodes fans out in force - not. He's gone guys, if you love him that much then get yourselves a ticket at the riverside. Yesterday we didn't miss Rhodes, we missed forwards of the quality that Hull had. They were lightning quick, ran us ragged all afternoon long and made things happen - something that Rhodes never can do and something we should be aspiring to. We're going to need that £9m more than ever.

As for the game, well it's like looking forward immensely to a night out that turns into a disaster. As a rovers fan I really should know better. Hull were far, far superior to us all over the park. When you lose like we did, inevitably all the old doubts come back.

Sounds about right. Not sure how JR would have made any difference, it's not like we fluffed a bunch of chances. Too bad this argument will rumble on.

There was nobody on that pitch upfront yesterday performed any better than what Rhodes was doing recently. There was also 1 chance created which you'd certainly have fancied him to bury. When he's on form he was the difference in games like that so often in the past.

One chance? He'd been needing 5 or 6 lately hadn't he? Very concerned here but I think we might be alright, I also don't think Boro will get promoted with JR,when, to hear some their promotion should be guaranteed.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do him a disservice. We are led to believe that he wanted out the previous two windows. Yet he got his head down after each refusal, and continued to score goals. You may have a different opinion about his ability but please don't pretend that he wasn't a consummate professional.

That he was. For the most part though toward the end I began to wonder, his goal to miss ratio seemd to go downhill. How many misses against the dingles that one would normally expect him to bury. But yeah you are right, compare Jordans's attitude to that of Gestede.

The Gordon Lee comparison is an interesting one and has been used by a few posters.

The end of that 73-4 season was absolutely dire, but I don't remember us actually being in danger of relegation. Because we had had a very good run under Furphy, Lee had more time and we had a decent buffer, as players adapted to the change of regime.. I don't think he brought in Oates,Hawkins and Beamish etc until the close season.

This time I do think we are in very real danger of relegation.Venky's acted far too late and more points ere squandered, as the existing players were not able/willing to adapt to the new manager's changes

If we can survive, I am sureLambert can begin the next campaign with a functional team.

Good post LV. Qute correct. I was thinking the same last night. Two completely different situations.

The other point on the Lee comparison is that Field wasn't sold for so called "footballing reasons", he was sold because we needed the money to pay the milkman and keep the Club afloat. That might be the case with the Rhodes money for all we know given Lambert's hysterical reaction when it looked as if Rhodes' move might initially break down but if Rholdemort was sold by PL purely for "footballing reasons" it was an insanely reckless move to sell him so late in the window when it wasn't possible to reinvest the proceeds back into the squad immediately.

Just logged on and only read this last page. What a surprise to see the Rhodes fans out in force - not. He's gone guys, if you love him that much then get yourselves a ticket at the riverside. Yesterday we didn't miss Rhodes, we missed forwards of the quality that Hull had. They were lightning quick, ran us ragged all afternoon long and made things happen - something that Rhodes never can do and something we should be aspiring to. We're going to need that £9m more than ever.

As for the game, well it's like looking forward immensely to a night out that turns into a disaster. As a rovers fan I really should know better. Hull were far, far superior to us all over the park. When you lose like we did, inevitably all the old doubts come back.

Not a surprise really is it den? All we've heard over the months from you and several others is that Rhodes has been the root of all our problems over the months and that getting rid of him and adopting a new system would be the solution to all our ills and look what happened yesterday.

The issue is not so much just that Rhodes has gone it's that none of his so called "replacements" have a goal in them.

Where are the goals going to come from to keep us up? Are you happy to go down just so long as Rhodes has been shed from the wage bill?

Not a surprise really is it den? All we've heard over the months from you and several others is that Rhodes has been the root of all our problems over the months and that getting rid of him and adopting a new system would be the solution to all our ills and look what happened yesterday.

As usual Rev - a total fabrication.

What happened yesterday was that we got outplayed just as we have been doing for three or four years now. Is the best contribution from the Rhodes fans that we would have beaten Hull with Rhodes in the side? If not, then what the heck is the point of posting about him in the Hull match thread?

As usual Rev - a total fabrication.

Doing what you always do den, ignoring my points when you can't answer them. Answer the question: who's going to score the goals to keep us up?

On your point above, it's not a fabrication in the slightest, you've ALWAYS said we'd be better served by selling Rhodes and spending money on other areas of the team.

But what's the point in bringing in cheap, inferior replacements then selling him when it's too late to reinvest any of the proceeds? (Aside from banking the money for good obviously)

Good post LV. Qute correct. I was thinking the same last night. Two completely different situations.

The other point on the Lee comparison is that Field wasn't sold for so called "footballing reasons", he was sold because we needed the money to pay the milkman and keep the Club afloat. That might be the case with the Rhodes money for all we know given Lambert's hysterical reaction when it looked as if Rhodes' move might initially break down but if Rholdemort was sold by PL purely for "footballing reasons" it was an insanely reckless move to sell him so late in the window when it wasn't possible to reinvest the proceeds back into the squad immediately.

I guess it's about change management!

Field was quickly followed by Garbett and Bradford. I recall a sarcastic letter in the LET from an angry fan, suggesting we change our name to Sheffield Utd Reserves!

They were bad times. And we had no way of knowing that success was just a few short months away. Let's hope there is a moral in that.....

Ironically Hull under Bruce long coveted Jordan Rhodes himself. Another team who see him as the finishing touch. Meanwhile we had the finishing touch without the service - because we couldn't afford both. Yet other teams seem to be able to.

FUP plus Venkys equals excuses not to compete multiplied by zero value left in our squad.

Only two clubs* have bid for him Stuart. Both of them where his uncle Steve was coaching or the assistant manager. No one else in football valued him anywhere near the kind of money we paid for him. Even Scotland don't want him - and they can use him for free. You massively overvalue him.

Well actually that great judge of a footballer Shebby (8 portugesers) Singh, decided that £8m would fire us to promotion. He was wrong as well.

Only two clubs* have bid for him Stuart. Both of them where his uncle Steve was coaching or the assistant manager. No one else in football valued him anywhere near the kind of money we paid for him. Even Scotland don't want him - and they can use him for free. You massively overvalue him.

Well actually that great judge of a footballer Shebby (8 portugesers) Singh, decided that £8m would fire us to promotion. He was wrong as well.

You say that but the squad that we had in Jordan's first season should have made top 6 but was held back by in-fighting. The second season it was held back by a novice manager. The third season the club started to asset strip for FUP purposes. It's no real wonder we didn't get promoted.

But somehow he still managed to score 80-odd goals.

I went on yesterday not seen many games this season , I think the absence of Hanley affected the team more than the other 2...

Hull played very well especially in the 2nd half , relegation is more of a possibility than i thought before 3pm .....

Take Marshall , Gomez and Hanley out of the team there is very llittle talent left ....Where are the goals going to come from ? We wont plaay the likes of Hull every week so a bit of hope in that !

Ah the mythical 8 mill that should instead have been spread around the team but didn't really exist anyway :)

Just like the mythical 9 mill that is supposed to be being kept dry till summer.

Oh and it would be rude not to mention Mr B's 50 mill war chest that must be getting a bit uncomfortable in his back pocket by now !

Ah the mythical 8 mill that should instead have been spread around the team but didn't really exist anyway :)

Just like the mythical 9 mill that is supposed to be being kept dry till summer.

Oh and it would be rude not to mention Mr B's 50 mill war chest that must be getting a bit uncomfortable in his back pocket by now !

You ok Tomphil?

Doing what you always do den, ignoring my points when you can't answer them. Answer the question: who's going to score the goals to keep us up?

On your point above, it's not a fabrication in the slightest, you've ALWAYS said we'd be better served by selling Rhodes and spending money on other areas of the team.

But what's the point in bringing in cheap, inferior replacements then selling him when it's too late to reinvest any of the proceeds? (Aside from banking the money for good obviously)

The first part of the fabrication is that many posters thought the decision to sell Rhodes was the right decision, BUT THE WRONG TIME, me included. Nothing to do with me that decision. So that makes a mockery of all you've said doesn't it? As for whether Lambert spends the money wisely in the summer when I guess that some of it will be available, well that's another argument completely. In that scenario your views should be aimed at the managers abilities, rather than selling Rhodes.

I'd just like anyone to answer this question, not just den. If we hadn't had Rhodes' goals in Bowyer's first season in charge (as caretaker), we would have been relegated.

Now it's a case of relying on Watt, Graham and Gomez. We are going to need an awful lot of clean sheets between now and the end of the season to nick these 1-0s.

If things were going so well with Jordan why were we 17th / 18th all season? Without a win in 7 matches at the start of the season? Averaging 1.08 points per game under Bowyer? Rhodes scored in the 6th game of the season. A penalty in an away defeat. Rhodes then scored on 9 more occasions. Two more were penalties. He scored three of his ten this season against Charlton. 10 from 27 Rovers matches this season, notching in only 8 of the matches he played.

Under Lambert, Rhodes scored 2 from 11 matches. One was a penalty. Extending that run was 3 from the last 17 matches. Glad our star man was pulling his tripe out as we floundered. He's scored 7 from open play this season in blue and white...as his manager got potted.

Good old Jordan firing us to promotion single handedly. Or was that 18th? Any old how I've never known us so lobsidedly focused on one player.

Like it or not his salary caused unrest, his star billing caused unrest, his lack of ability caused unrest and his goal scoring fired us, our team, Blackburn Rovers FC, to 8th, 9th and 18th.

I have no real criticism of Rhodes. Operating to a decent level amongst the madness, helping us especially in the darkest of days, maintaining a reliable goal scoring presence upfront, allowing us to make some money...multi zillionaire status in the process lest we forget...simply the wrong buying strategy at the wrong time. Hence the stagnation and backward steps.

Haters gonna hate, but I love the Rovers. Crap result at weekend, like most of them this season with or without the 15/16 prolifically unprolific poster boy.

COYB.

Rhodes may not have played ever minute of every game.

The thing is oojw. Even his greatest admirers would admit that he has had a crap season so far. (His first in 4 years)

In the Summer we sold our second scorer and he still scored 11 goals without proper service, plus he was always a danger man for defenders, allowing for a second striker/scorer to take advantage.

Now that we have the service he needed, nobody can see where the goals are coming from.

Unless somebody has a suggestion? Anyone...? :unsure:

The thing is oojw. Even his greatest admirers would admit that he has had a crap season so far. (His first in 4 years)

In the Summer we sold our second scorer and he still scored 11 goals without proper service, plus he was always a danger man for defenders, allowing for a second striker/scorer to take advantage.

Now that we have the service he needed, nobody can see where the goals are coming from.

Unless somebody has a suggestion? Anyone...? :unsure:

Sorry to state the obvious but the goals are going to have to come from the team. As are the clean sheets. Bit bored of this theory that's been allowed to get established that Rhodes didn't get any service. Ever.

You score goals as a team and 99% of a Rhodes goals involved a team-mate.

All this bed wetting is rather draining. We knew it was a rocky road ahead. It's been that way for time. I ain't fretting this season or getting hot and bothered. Still do not think we will go down. Still think the old squad is crap. Still believe any new player needs more than 10 days to feel at home.

If things were going so well with Jordan why were we 17th / 18th all season? Without a win in 7 matches at the start of the season? Averaging 1.08 points per game under Bowyer? Rhodes scored in the 6th game of the season. A penalty in an away defeat. Rhodes then scored on 9 more occasions. Two more were penalties. He scored three of his ten this season against Charlton. 10 from 27 Rovers matches this season, notching in only 8 of the matches he played.

Under Lambert, Rhodes scored 2 from 11 matches. One was a penalty. Extending that run was 3 from the last 17 matches. Glad our star man was pulling his tripe out as we floundered. He's scored 7 from open play this season in blue and white...as his manager got potted.

Good old Jordan firing us to promotion single handedly. Or was that 18th? Any old how I've never known us so lobsidedly focused on one player.

Like it or not his salary caused unrest, his star billing caused unrest, his lack of ability caused unrest and his goal scoring fired us, our team, Blackburn Rovers FC, to 8th, 9th and 18th.

I have no real criticism of Rhodes. Operating to a decent level amongst the madness, helping us especially in the darkest of days, maintaining a reliable goal scoring presence upfront, allowing us to make some money...multi zillionaire status in the process lest we forget...simply the wrong buying strategy at the wrong time. Hence the stagnation and backward steps.

Haters gonna hate, but I love the Rovers. Crap result at weekend, like most of them this season with or without the 15/16 prolifically unprolific poster boy.

COYB.

Rhodes may not have played ever minute of every game.

1.08 points per game over the season would probably just about be enough to keep us up.

We're averaging 0.5 points and 0.5 goals per game so far in the League without Rhodes. Will that improve? Who knows?

If it doesn't, the decision to sell him at the point we did has to be viewed as a disastrous one whichever way you look at it.

3 players out in the few hours before start of match; we play Hull at just the worst point.....and the Message Board's 12 regulars go into meltdown.

2 points....hope we beat West Ham on Sunday AND we needed to find a better way of playing to have a sniff of promotion.

Compare us to QPR and Fulham and Bolton,since relegation.......and they do not have the Venksters.

3 players out in the few hours before start of match; we play Hull at just the worst point.....and the Message Board's 12 regulars go into meltdown.

2 points....hope we beat West Ham on Sunday AND we needed to find a better way of playing to have a sniff of promotion.

Compare us to QPR and Fulham and Bolton,since relegation.......and they do not have the Venksters.

Don't @#/? where you eat.

The other point about Tony Field is that he was picked up from Southport, hardly the most significant football club,even back then. There are gems to be had in the lower leagues and that still applies

Archived