BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Why Was Chris Taylor Applauded Off?

ABBEY

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are too many yellow and red cards shown these days. In the old days, a sending off was very rare, and it was always for serious foul play. Taylor would never have been booked for either incident years ago but nowadays players trip over each other in a clash of legs and they get booked - it's ridiculous and it spoils so many games (including cup finals) that until then had been evenly balanced. West Ham have every right to be annoyed about their dismissal - it wasn't even a foul.

The Sunday Observer used have a photo spread near the back of the Sports Magazine. It was a " Where are they now ? " style spread. The photo was of a Notts Forest Team of the late 1960's. One of the players was mentioned as being the first Notts Forest player to be sent off since before the 1939-46 War !

I'd been going to Rovers for about three full seasons before I saw a player get sent off ( Mike England at Burnley ) and it was about another three seasons before I saw the next one ( Harry Gregg at Old Trafford ).

The game was much harder then. Players were expected to be able to give a tackle and take a tackle. If somebody hurt you in the tackle you'd smile back and pretend it didn't hurt. Now you're supposed to roll over and over like you've been shot. We'd just wait for a chance to get your own back. I've " accidentally on purpose " lost the ball to an opponent just so I could really clatter them before they could get rid of it. It was all part of the game.

It's got to the stage now where if you finish with 22 still on the pitch it's a surprise.

it wasn't cynical ..it was stupid.I've yet to meet any fan who thought he was taking one for the team. There was cover so he wasn't taking anything .

It was as stupid as that @#/? Kevin Ball who clattered Dunny in that game at Burnley a few years ago. Whatever chance they had of getting back in the game went with him.

The acceptance of poor players whose main attribute is "working hard" is what got us into this mess in the first place. Yes, the dirty side of the game is important, but even those players need a modicum of intelligence about them to contribute properly. I think if Taylor had that, or any other genuinely good qualities, he'd have been more than a reserve team player for pretty much his entire career here.

With the embargo now lifted we need to start shifting the dross we brought in over the past year or so, and bringing in players who both work hard and have at least a little bit of quality about them. The likes of Taylor, Brown, Akpan, Williamson, and so on will hopefully soon be confined to the past.

I disagree, the signing of ineffectual fancy dans like Rochina and Formica who were popular with fans is what got us relegated. And then the continuation of that approach with the batch of Portugese nobodies and Danny Murphy is what consigned us to a bottom half Championship finish. What decimated the club financially is signing players who didn't work hard.

Now that it is decimated financially, its very much a case of you get what you pay for. Unfortunately Lambert doesn't have the luxury of getting to decide what level of quality he wants to accept, if only, football would be a lot easier if that were the case. Our fans pay peanuts for tickets and turn out in low numbers anyway, so we have no money and will continue to have no money. Not sure who you expect to come in on a free transfer/couple of hundred thousand in the summer, but it won't be the type of player that makes Taylor/Brown/Akpan/Williamson look like donkeys. We can probably improve a bit on what we have, but we'll always need the hard workers and they'll always be criticised by our support for not being the next Makelele or Vieira.

I'm not defending Taylor on his performance yesterday or saying he should be a first team regular, but get rid of all that type of player and before we know it it'll be back to the Kean era of we score 3, they score 4.

Well I thought he did some good work....including that great run in the first half when he got to the penalty area with no Rovers player within 25 yards. At least he was visible,unlike Conway and dire like Henley and Akpan. A real offday to say the least.

And when it got to 10 men each we dissolved in front of our eyes......

There are too many yellow and red cards shown these days. In the old days, a sending off was very rare, and it was always for serious foul play. Taylor would never have been booked for either incident years ago but nowadays players trip over each other in a clash of legs and they get booked - it's ridiculous and it spoils so many games (including cup finals) that until then had been evenly balanced. West Ham have every right to be annoyed about their dismissal - it wasn't even a foul.

His first booking was a shirt pull which is blatant cheating and a clear yellow. Would he not have got booked for this in the "old days"? Let me guess, no-one ever shirt pulled in the old days (yeah right).

Well I thought he did some good work....including that great run in the first half when he got to the penalty area with no Rovers player within 25 yards. At least he was visible,unlike Conway and dire like Henley and Akpan. A real offday to say the least.

And when it got to 10 men each we dissolved in front of our eyes......

At ten players it really highlighted the lack of character and belief within the team and their lack of spirit

They didn't look like a team just a bunch of individuals making up the numbers for Blackburn Rovers football club.

No wonder they've only won One league game out of the last TEN!

His first booking was a shirt pull which is blatant cheating and a clear yellow. Would he not have got booked for this in the "old days"? Let me guess, no-one ever shirt pulled in the old days (yeah right).

I played decent amateur level mid 60s to early 80's. Shirt tugging wasn't even considered wrong and a Ref would have been a laughing stock if he'd blown for a foul. Times change, sometimes for the better

There wasn't as much shirt pulling then as there is now, that's another Continental import. However If you did pull a shirt and make it obvious it was a free kick and you got on with the game. Make a habit of it and maybe you might get booked. If you did pull a shirt you needed to get a proper handful of shirt because the guy would still attempt to get clear not like now when they're going over at the slightest touch.

I never saw much point in shirt pulling. My " stopper " was just to tap the trailing leg as the guy was running. That worked every time and nobody got hurt. I put it about a bit but I never injured an opponent enough for him to have to go off.

Blind loyalty is the reason he was applauded.

Should have been stone silence.

2 stupid challenges, although the referee could have been a little more lenient (as they probably would be with a United player), however after the first booking he shouldn't have been so stupid to make the second.

Hopefully it will be the last time we see him in blue and white halves.

If and when the game appears on Roversplayer, or if anyone has it recorded, watch about 60 or so seconds before Taylor gets red carded. Rovers are breaking and a west ham player comes in late and cleans a rovers player out. As we still are breaking the ref waves play on but he never goes back and books the guy. It looked as clear a foul and booking as either of Taylor's.

On Taylor, The ref will say he has no option and is just applying the modern laws of the game, but often they seem to apply the modern laws as and when they want.

No complaints with the sending off as Taylor was numb but at the time I was ranting like mad at the ref for inconsistency.

If and when the game appears on Roversplayer, or if anyone has it recorded, watch about 60 or so seconds before Taylor gets red carded. Rovers are breaking and a west ham player comes in late and cleans a rovers player out. As we still are breaking the ref waves play on but he never goes back and books the guy. It looked as clear a foul and booking as either of Taylor's.

On Taylor, The ref will say he has no option and is just applying the modern laws of the game, but often they seem to apply the modern laws as and when they want.

No complaints with the sending off as Taylor was numb but at the time I was ranting like mad at the ref for inconsistency.

I might have mentioned this before but I got to ask Mike Dean the question once about refereeing consistency and whether referees get together periodically to make sure that they are applying the laws consistently. His response was 'no but referees do try to be consistent during the game'. Well that's good of them. How difficult would it be to agree to apply the same rules in the same way consistently, regardless of the team, player or mood they are in that day?!

Hope the prat never plays for us again - in the last year I'd love to know his p1ssed up night out:good game ratio!

Not an activity you appear to be against yourself lol...

I looked at Taylor's instagram. Nothing since the stuff mentioned on "player professionalism" thread a couple of weeks ago. Certainly not from last Friday.

Not an activity you appear to be against yourself lol...

I looked at Taylor's instagram. Nothing since the stuff mentioned on "player professionalism" thread a couple of weeks ago. Certainly not from last Friday.

Haha true, but then again I'm not a professional athlete!

I didn't see anything from last Friday as some people have mentioned, but it does annoy me that he's constantly out on the rip, without offering anything when he plays.

I didn't applaud him off, I was bemused as to why people did that. What he did was rash, stupid and it made our task even harder. To say it cost us the game is extreme though, though of course it certainly didn't help.

On the flip side though I don't think he needs to be chastised for it. He did something silly in the heat of the moment, made a bad choice. You could tell he immediately regretted it.

Now whether this kind of thing is attributed to his apparent drinking habits, I don't know to be honest.

Archived