BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Why Was Chris Taylor Applauded Off?

ABBEY

No one in any thread has yet offered a reason why they applauded and gave him a standing ovation as he left the field.

I was fuming and still am .it baffles me when people clap stupidity and an action that cost us any chance of getting a replay.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The second booking was a lazy tackle. A definite booking, but a lazy tackle from a less than average player.

I was concerned by general fitness levels as well. Despite the reported increased training intensity, we don't look like a fit team. As the game progressed this affected tracking back, closing down, off the ball movement.

What got me was he looked hard done to! It was a yellow all day long...he let himself down, his team and those of us there to see a shock win.

It turned the game massively in WH's favour. Goes to say I didn't clap him off!

It was a clear yellow. I think what cost him was his first card putting himself in a position where any mis timed tackle could be a problem. For the first yellow his lack of awareness and waiting for the ball meant the West Ham player got in front of him and nicked the ball. He was never going to catch him and pulled him back. Really poor play from an average player.

The second booking was a lazy tackle. A definite booking, but a lazy tackle from a less than average player.

I was concerned by general fitness levels as well. Despite the reported increased training intensity, we don't look like a fit team. As the game progressed this affected tracking back, closing down, off the ball movement.

The fitness thing bothered me yesterday as well, why do we always look so knackered. Even Conway recently has looked done after 20 mins and he seemed to be one who had a great engine in the past.

If nothing else yesterday showed what a massive gulf there is in terms of fitness between championship plodders and Prem players.

Having only seen the highlights it was a very lazy 'challenge' and seemed like Marshall had him covered. Would only applaud a player being sent off for a 'one for the team' type a la Williamson or if it was unjust.

Sadly Taylors did not fall into either and his stupidity contributed to us being comprehensively walloped.

For the record I wouldn't have clapped him off. Maybe sarcastically...

I was sitting in the main stand near the middle and from our position we could not really see what had happened. It looked like a soft yellow from our distance but of course we were wrong. We did not clap him off but many around us did and I expect they just did not see how daft it was.

No one in any thread has yet offered a reason why they applauded and gave him a standing ovation as he left the field.

I was fuming and still am .it baffles me when people clap stupidity and an action that cost us any chance of getting a replay.

Because of the last three years of dumbing down, same goes for some rovers fans, i would have give him a right good bollocking but then the same could be said for Crapkan and Henley.

There are too many yellow and red cards shown these days. In the old days, a sending off was very rare, and it was always for serious foul play. Taylor would never have been booked for either incident years ago but nowadays players trip over each other in a clash of legs and they get booked - it's ridiculous and it spoils so many games (including cup finals) that until then had been evenly balanced. West Ham have every right to be annoyed about their dismissal - it wasn't even a foul.

Wouldn't have clapped him off but I must be in a minority for liking him as a player. Feel as though the ugly side of the game is massively underappreciated by modern fans but you need players who'll do it. Our best season since we won the title (2005/06 under Hughes), was the one fully-fit season Savage had with us (and same with Reid actually). We got marginally more points with a mainly Savage-Reid midfield in 05/06 than we did with a Dunn-Tugay one in 02/03. Obviously there were other factors involved but just trying to illustrate that just because something doesn't look good, doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Taylor never looks good. He's a gritty, average player who stands up to the physical challenge and graft off the ball. As are Akpan and Brown, and its no surprise to me that Lambert played all 3 yesterday when faced with a better team that were bound to control possession. Like it or not you need players like that and you need them to disrupt the opposition. Yeah he strayed onto the wrong side of the line last night, but regarding his first yellow, Lambert would have been screaming at him if he hadn't tried to stop their counter-attack and they'd scored.

And remember it was the likes of Akpan and Taylor in the main that got us through the 3rd round when Newport were trying to rough our 10 men up (successfully in the first half). I remember when we played Millwall away in the cup quarter a few years ago and Taylor was a nightmare for our players, bullied them from start to finish and the ref didn't do a thing. Sometimes it works out like that, sometimes it doesn't. Course it doesn't help in creating an atmosphere where the ref will favour the home team when only 10,000 fans bother to show up.

• Backroom

The acceptance of poor players whose main attribute is "working hard" is what got us into this mess in the first place. Yes, the dirty side of the game is important, but even those players need a modicum of intelligence about them to contribute properly. I think if Taylor had that, or any other genuinely good qualities, he'd have been more than a reserve team player for pretty much his entire career here.

With the embargo now lifted we need to start shifting the dross we brought in over the past year or so, and bringing in players who both work hard and have at least a little bit of quality about them. The likes of Taylor, Brown, Akpan, Williamson, and so on will hopefully soon be confined to the past.

I clapped him off because he's a Rover. Stupid tackle or not. It's not like he 'Thatcher'ed anyone.

But his idiocy reduced us to ten men and with it any real chance of getting anything from the game. He let everybody down by making that challenge, a challenge where he couldn't win the ball. His reaction said it all.

Didn't see this thread before posting in the WHU match thread. Me and my brother were some of the only fans booing near me in the Blackburn End. Ridiculous. He should have skulked off to a chorus of boos and a barrage of much-deserved insults. F**king idiot.

Archived